Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

recording cable channels?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-06, 10:18 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm researching DVD recorders so I can buy one soon. My main activity would be recording TV shows to watch later. I remember when I would record on my "cable-ready" VCR, I never could record any of the cable stations, not even basic cable. I could only record the regular TV channels 2-13 in my area, even though both my TV and VCR were cable ready. I am not even able to play the cable stations from the VCR. The only way cable stations come in (even after I "auto-program" the channels into the VCR). The only way I can view TV is when my VCR is turned off.

Will I have the same problem with the DVD recorder? Why does this happen? Do I need the cable company to come by and program my DVD recorder? I want to be able to watch and record any channel on my DVD recorder.

I have Comcast basic (analog) cable with no premium channels. The feed comes in through the RG cable directly to the TV without the use of a cable box. Thanks!
Old 03-08-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Should work if the recorder you get has an analog cable tuner. I assume all of them do, but haven't looked for that spec. You should be able to run the RG wire directly to the DVDR instead of the TV. And just record when you want.
Old 03-09-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
You also have to set the recorder tuner to "Cable" . Your VCR most likely had the same option. It would have been in the menu; usually in the initial set up on either the VCR or DVD recorder.

You can also split the signal; one to go to your recorder and the other to the TV. This way they work independent of each other and you can watch something else besides what you are recording.
Old 03-09-06, 08:31 PM

You don't use channel 3, on dvd recorder. Depends on which inputs you're using. The front ones or back ones. I use the rear input on mine, and set the input to "AV2Rear" (recording from Digital Cable), using the red, white, and yellow composite cables. That records the channel I'm watching, when I push the record button. I can't record one, while watching another.

With a vcr, it needs to be a stereo vcr. Your output (cable box or tv) needs to have the red, white, and yellow (composite) output. Go from the output of your source, to the red, white, and yellow inputs, on the vcr. Set the vcr's input to L1, Video 1, or Aux. 1, whichever terminology it uses, instead of Ch. 3. You should be able to record the channel you're watching, no matter if it's a cable channel or not.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes?