DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

please recommend a DVD player

Old 02-28-06, 09:56 AM
Cool New Member

please recommend a DVD player

Hi, I'm looking for a nice player for my home theatre. Nothing fancy but quality and having the standard features (progressive scan, surround output, etc.) for today. I don't think I need upconversion at this point. I have a sony wega hdtv and an onkyo 603x receiver. From the prices I see browsing around Circuit City, looks like I can get a decent one for under $100. Is that true?

>Can you tell me what brands I should be on the lookout for in this $ range? I hear pannys are strong, but what about other brands?
>Should I make it a priority to match the brand to my sony tv or onkyo receiver?
>Does onkyo good when it comes to dvd players? I came across the DV-SP302 but know little about it.

Thanks for you help, as usual!
Old 02-28-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

>Can you tell me what brands I should be on the lookout for in this $ range? I hear pannys are strong, but what about other brands?

Panny is pretty good this year. Sony isn't bad, either, and they've dropped prices a bit to fit in with the others. Don't know about either company's models under $100, though. I like my $80 Pioneer 285 with an analog TV, but not so much for progressive output to an HDTV.

>Should I make it a priority to match the brand to my sony tv or onkyo receiver?

I don't think so. Others may disagree. The only benefit is to have the same name plastered across your shelf for aesthetics, or sometimes some special remote commands or other communication between the machines. But the remote stuff should be able to be duplicated with a universal remote.

>Does onkyo good when it comes to dvd players? I came across the DV-SP302 but know little about it.

I don't think so. They buy the insides from other companies, like Pioneer, and then modify the audio. They have little video R&D themselves, it seems. So the video always depends on which model they bought. I don't know what the 302 is based on, possibly the Pioneer 285, considering the 502 is based on the 285's big brother. (Pioneer often sells their models to other companies like this, not just Onkyo)

If you want some serious test results of many progressive scan players, check out Secrets' continuing report:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi