Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Analog cable cutting out to static

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-13-06, 06:02 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone...I'm hoping somebody can help a little bit.

OK, I have analog cable through Mediacom that is included in my rent. Everything has been find with the video and audio quality since I moved in about 1.5 years ago. The last month or so, the video and audio has been cutting out and going to static for a second or so. I called customer service and they sent a tech out last Monday. He put my connection on a different box and ran line tests. He said everything was fine and of course it didn't happen while he was there. He also disconnected my Showtime and HBO that I have been getting for free since I moved in. They never disconnected it from the previous tenant.

The last few days it has been happening more and more. Last night the picture would cut out up to 10 seconds at a time and happen more often, but still randomly. This happens on any channel (2-37) and also happens on the TV in my bedroom. The cable coax that is hooked to my 30HFX85 is running through my Panamax M8C-EX to the TV. This morning the cable cut out for 10 minutes while I was getting ready for work.

I called Mediacom again today and they can't get a tech out until the 27th! I live in the middle of nowhere, so they only have a tech in that area on Monday and Fridays.

How many more times do I have to complain until they just upgrade me to a Digital/HD package for free or at a discount? This is just so annoying!

Any suggestions for things that I can try on my end?

Thank you,
oxonce
Old 02-13-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you connect cable to vcr to tv?

If so, I'm going to bet that your issue is the vcr to tv connection.

Many times you run into problems with audio/video quality, it is probably a cabling issue.
Old 02-13-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by oxonce
How many more times do I have to complain until they just upgrade me to a Digital/HD package for free or at a discount? This is just so annoying!
First off I doubt seriously they'll upgrade you for free. Secondly if your analog cable is getting terrible reception chances are your digital feed will be worse. I'd try to record what it's doing on a vcr or dvr if you have one and show it to the tech. When the tech comes out don't just let him "test" the line and say it's ok. Explain that they've already been out and you want him to inspect the lines in the crawl if you have one. Better yet I'd inspect them in the mean time. What about getting a line booster? Adelphia had to install one under my house (requires an outlet) and it improved my reception 10 fold. My digital channels won't even come in if it's disconnected.
Old 02-13-06, 06:49 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the replies so far.

There is no VCR connected at all. The coax comes from the wall, goes through my Panamax and then to the TV.

I'll look into a line booster. I also want to ask my neighbors if their cable is doing the same thing. It is just so annoying.

I just remembered one more thing...this probably has to do more with the source, but USA (ch. 12) will be pixelated at times. It looks like my parent's DirectTV feed when it is raining. Audio will drop out and the video will pixelate and pause.

Thanks for the suggestions,
oxonce
Old 02-13-06, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How many hops do you have between the line coming into your house to your tv. Is it split seven different ways? That was a HUGE problem when I moved in. I kid you not the guy who lived here before me had a 5 way switch under the house running coax every-which-way. The cable company cleaned it all out and ran single lines to each room. Made all the difference.
Old 02-13-06, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts
Anyone who hasn't given up on cable at this point deserves whatever they get.
Old 02-13-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Anyone who hasn't given up on cable at this point deserves whatever they get.
Compelling argument.

Old 02-14-06, 07:59 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks for chiming in, Alan Smithee, but you can just excuse yourself from this thread if you don't have anything intelligent to say. I asked if there was a way to fix this...

If you re-read my first post, you can (hopefully, maybe with help) figure out that I live in an apartment and basic cable is included in my rent. Since I'm paying for it anyway, I might as well use it.

I'm really confused after last night. I watched TV from 9-12pm and the cable didn't cut out once. I have no idea what is going on.

oxonce
Old 02-14-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
you could ask the cable company to put in a line booster (don't get that crap from rat shack) The booster the cable companys use operates on a higher range of db and a lower db range so that information can flow in both directions.

I have found that cable companies are heistant about putting these into peoples homes, because there is a way to get free channels if you know what you are doing.
Old 02-14-06, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by oxonce
I'll look into a line booster. I also want to ask my neighbors if their cable is doing the same thing. It is just so annoying.

I just remembered one more thing...this probably has to do more with the source, but USA (ch. 12) will be pixelated at times. It looks like my parent's DirectTV feed when it is raining. Audio will drop out and the video will pixelate and pause.

Thanks for the suggestions,
oxonce
Since this probably runs through some extra equipment being in an apartment building, just installing an amp yourself probably won't help, anyway. You'd have to install it at the right point in the line, which you may not have access to. Definitely check with the neighbors, raise the volume to Mediacom.

If USA is pixellated, it is probably Mediacom's satellite link. It would just be snowy if it was the analog cable signal at fault.