Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Thinking of plasma, movies and games which way to go?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Thinking of plasma, movies and games which way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-06, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What 60" is the best value for DVD home theater, Gaming, and HDTV? (1080 res). .

Sony KDS-R60XBR1 is on the top of my list.

Are there any DLPs that are better value that compare with the same res? And where can I get the best deal?
Old 02-15-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Doubt it, not if you want 1080p. Looks like DLP models would be almost as much cash. And they won't match the picture of an LCOS.

For a TV like that, I'd pony up the cash to buy it from a real dealer locally. Preferably not Best Buy. Perhaps Crutchfield online. Yes, they charge MSRP instead of some fabulous discount price, $4500 vs $3300 in this case. But if you need service, you'll appreciate having the dealer. It's always nice to have a $4k item that DIDN'T fall off the back of a truck.

There's always front projection for cheaper big screens (like $2000 for 100"), but 1080p models are not in the price range, yet. And it is a lot more work/hassle. Not everyone wants to deal with it, so I don't blindly recommend it to everyone. (even though I want to)
Old 02-15-06, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SXRD looks like the best bet for you in this price range.

If you have the room for it (space and light control), front projection could be awesome. Heck, for $4000 you could buy a nice FP setup AND a Panny EDTV 42inch plasma for casual viewing (or just keep your current tv).

Spiky is right - FP is a lot more work. I would go that route in a heartbeat if I didn't live in a small one bedroom apartment.

Do you have a Sears in your area? They have been known to be pretty good at price matching. They won't be as good as a dealer, but I've had good experiences with their extended warranties.

Last edited by BobDole42; 02-15-06 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-16-06, 01:59 AM

Yeah those projectors are cool. I'd deffinatly go with it if I had a big enough room to convert into a theater room. Watching lord of the rings in 100" would be sweet. But I have to consider room limitations.
Old 03-08-06, 12:14 AM

I'm actually seriously considering a projetor right now. Just because I feel a little more comfortable spending ~$2000 as opposed to shelling out ~$4000+. For alot of reasons really, 1 is: that it could be a HUGE size increase. The other would be the money ofcourse.

I've found out about projetorcentral.com. Spikey, Bob, do either of you have any suggestions for a decent FP for HDTV sports, DVDs, gaming (the whole kit and kabootle). . Where the projector would be mounted on the ceiling 13 feet away and the seating would be 13 feet away. One important thing would be it must be 720p atleast for HDTV and xbox 360. Other than that I don't really have any other huge "needs" for this screen. I already have a panasonic reciever and surround sound system so I'd like to use that with the projector. Other than that I'm blind. I need someone to show me the light!!
Old 03-08-06, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Must. Chime. In. Got into home theater basically because of LOTR. FOTR in widescreen just didn't cut it on a 27". Favorite. Movie. Ever.

I've got an Infocus X1 DLP projector. Remember that projectors don't look so hot in the daylight. In fact, in bright sunlight they are downright invisible at times. You need light control to put it to any effective use during the daylight. I'm finally buying a Sony 32" HD tube to use during the daylight, as we are home in the daylight a lot these days with the new baby and the projector is running waaayyy too many hours of Oprah, etc...and is barely visible (or maybe a cheapy 42" plasma). A grey or high gain screen may mitigate a bit of this, but that has its own tradeoffs.

LOTR on projection is the way it's meant to be seen

That said, if you don't have daylight control, I'd take the panny 42" plasma. I vastly prefer the superior black levels and black details on a quality plasma over any extra resolution.

Now if you have a perfect viewing angle from your seating, the DLP would be worth looking into. I definitely wouldn't go LCD RPTV - the black levels suck IMO and stuff like LOTR looks awfully gray. Even my DLP projector struggles with the Mines of Moria I hear the new LCD front projectors are catching up, though.

Now the SXRD, that's a beautiful set. The closest thing to a quality plasma you can get in big RPTV flavor

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 03-08-06 at 01:20 AM.