Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please recommend good (cheap) DVD player with TIME REMAINING function!

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-06-06, 10:30 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the market for a new DVD player since Toshiba's customer service swindled me out of my still-functional SD-3950 (long story) and I could use some advice in finding a new model.

Most important is finding a unit that has a TIME REMAINING function. I'm baffled that so many players don't have this function at all! What's worse, it's never mentioned in any reviews or descriptions of the product.

Other important functions are DVD+R playback, zoom, chapter skip (that lets you hit "skip" as many times as needed instead of waiting for the DVD to catch up on each and every chapter), CD/mp3 playback, PAL/NTSC conversion (not that important), bitrate display (never even seen this *except* on my old Toshiba model) and oh yeah, playing the entire title instead of starting 1/2 late or stopping 2 seconds early.

I'm looking to spend $60-70, really can't afford more.
Old 02-07-06, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pioneer 285, $80. (no shipping at J&R, no tax out of NY) Time remaining is available by pressing display, although it doesn't stay on the front panel. If you are looking for it to stay on the panel but not be onscreen, you may not be able to find anything that does that.

The other features are also available, except for the PAL-NTSC conversion. And to get one region free would cost much more than $80. This is one of the fastest players around for skipping through chapters or menus.

Apparently they've now put out a new version that plays PAL and all regions, $99, called the 383. Maybe I should upgrade.
Old 02-07-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 3 year old Sony DVD player that has several time functions including, time elapsed and time remaining. Maybe some of their bargain players have the same functionality.
Old 02-07-06, 01:28 PM

I have a Sony DVP-NS50P/S. It has several different time modes including time remaining. It also displays the time modes on the front of the player. I picked it up for around $75 at Wal-Mart.
Old 02-07-06, 02:21 PM
Cool New Member

Not sure if I trust Sony...I've looked at the DVP-NS50, but I try to avoid players where the remote is large enough to be used as a blunt weapon.

The Pioneer 383 looks mighty juicy, though! MPEG/DIVX playback capability would be a HUGE bonus, I never thought to look for that feature before!

How well does Pioneer handle burned (DVD+R) media? I've got tons of DVDs copied from TV, plus I tend to watch backup copies instead of the original discs when it comes to some of my rarer titles.

Last edited by JerVL/kg; 02-07-06 at 02:31 PM.