Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HELP: Hooking up Cable to LCD TV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently purchased an HD LC2600N HD TV. It has BUILT-IN HD tuner. However, I'm a bit confused how to hook up my cable. I have THREE coax connection labeled:

Analog Air In
Digital Air In
Digital Cable In

What should I hook my coax into to get the BEST picture? Will I get ANY HD channels if I just use coax? I have COMCAST cable if that helps.

I currently just have it to Analog In, since it is the only thing that worked (I think). The manual shows a splitter....not sure what exactly to use. Anyone have any bright ideas?

I may just get a CableCard, but I wanted to get your opinions first.

thanks
Old 01-31-06, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Component, HDMI, and DVI carry HD signals. Those should be your 3 choices.
Old 02-01-06, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought you could get some HD signals through coax also. I know if I hooked an HD antenna up I could. However, I already have Comcast HD and I though iyou MIGHT be able to get them through the coax.
Old 02-01-06, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should be able to receive your digital cable channels bypassing the set-top box from Comcast and attaching a coax cable directly from the wall to the "Digital cable in" jack on the TV. A cable card from Comcast will enable you to receive any higher tier programming (HBO, Starz, etc.) that you already subscribe to. Or you can connect the set-top box to the HDMI or component in jacks as Mr. Cinema mentioned and then you will be able to use interactive Ondemand features that cable cards do not yet support. Also, try attaching a cheapo rabbit-ears antenna to the "Digital air in" jack and see if you can receive any OTA signals.
Old 02-01-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like the TV has 3 tuners. 1 NTSC, 1 ATSC, and 1 Cablecard. That may be why there are 3 different coax inputs.

Mr. Cinema is right if you are using a cable box.

But if you have an antenna, hook it up to the Digital Air In and scan for channels. It is often an extra step to do this scan, check your TV manual/menus. Not quite as simple as finding analog channels from antenna.

You can also try running your cable coax direct from the wall to see if there are any "free" HD channels from the cable company. That should also be to the Digital Air In. Note that this would likely only be local HD channels. It would not include ESPN or whatever else you pay for with Comcast's HD package. Also, these are likely to be QAM encoded, and your TV's ATSC tuner would have to be compatible with QAM. (8VSB is the standard OTA encoding)

Sounds like the TV has Cablecard, I would assume that's what the Digital Cable In is for. That would replace your HD cable box, no reason for both.
Old 02-01-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, I'll play around with it a bit more tonight. I know I tried jus thooking the COAX from the wall to digital cable in and I got nothing...but maybe I had to scan for channels. I don't have an antenna, so I cannot go that route. I think I would get a CableCard before an antenna (since I have HBO and whatnot for a few more months)
Old 02-01-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would try the Digital Air In first.
Old 02-01-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nothing worked...oh well, looks like CableCard is my best option to get it to truly work...plus I'll get my HBO back here then, righT?
Old 02-02-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't you have an HD cable box already? That should hookup via component, DVI or HDMI. Cablecard is supposed to be cheaper, though. That may be what you want longterm. Should certainly be more convenient unless your TV's tuner is worse than a cable box's, but I doubt that.

HBO should be available over Cablecard, from what I hear.
Old 02-02-06, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
Don't you have an HD cable box already? That should hookup via component, DVI or HDMI. Cablecard is supposed to be cheaper, though. That may be what you want longterm. Should certainly be more convenient unless your TV's tuner is worse than a cable box's, but I doubt that.

HBO should be available over Cablecard, from what I hear.
I actually have my HD box hooked up in another room to my 55" Mits. This TV is basically a second TV and will double as my PC monitor. I think Comcast charges extra for the CableCard IF you already have an HD box, which I will NOT get rid of.

Spiky, I deleted your e-mail before I read it, but I got my subwoofer working...stupidity on my part. I was hasteful in hooking it up and plugged it into the 5.1 channel sub input rather than the normal SUB input.
Old 02-02-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's always something. When I moved my rack o stuff to the back of my room last year, the receiver turned around. I forgot that left/right switched sides on the back of the receiver and hooked up every single speaker to the wrong output. Well, except the center speaker.
Old 11-11-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry for the old bump.....Comcast is screwing with me and my CableCARD so I told them to come pick it up.

So, can anyone recommend me a HDTV Antenna to get? Not looking to spend too much
Old 11-13-06, 03:45 AM

What are they doing to screw with you?
Old 11-13-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Check out your local stations at antennaweb.org to start. It will tell you the channel numbers, the direction from your house, and the distance. And give you a suggestion on what size antenna you might need.

Antennas are not "HD", regardless of what they like to print on the boxes. You still have the VHF vs UHF thing, although most HD stations will be in the UHF range. You'll want to doublecheck your stations with the antennaweb info to see if you need VHF at all, most people won't. That's actually where the "HD" marketing comes from, most antennas labeled this way are simply UHF antennas.

Pretty much stick to Channel Master or Winegard antennas. They are the best, the cheapest, etc. The CM 4221 is VERY popular with HD watchers in cities, a UHF medium range antenna. It is very expensive. Nearly $30. Or for an indoor antenna, the Silver Sensor is very popular, it comes under various brand names like Zenith and Terk. Shouldn't cost more than $30, probably no more than $20. Forget indoor amplified antennas, they are almost never useful.
Old 11-14-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, is this one good?

http://www.buy.com/prod/Zenith_ZHDTV.../90113670.html

or

http://www.buy.com/prod/TERK_HDTVi_I.../90130391.html

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 11-14-06 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-15-06, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get the Zenith over the Terk. And don't forget to use google checkout for $10 off $30
Old 11-15-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They are the same product. Spend less, ignoring brand names. Don't know if you would like the Ebay route, but you can get it even cheaper there. Item #110053663346, for instance. Note, I've never seen this seller before, this isn't a recommendation, just an option.

Also of note, one version of the Terk has rabbit ears attached for VHF reception. Wouldn't necessarily be worth paying more for, but it's another option.
Old 11-15-06, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks...I actually have Comcast cable hooked up, so other stations are not a worry....I just wanted HD channels to come in. I'll just get the Zenith probably....
Old 11-15-06, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
They are the same product. Spend less, ignoring brand names. Don't know if you would like the Ebay route, but you can get it even cheaper there. Item #110053663346, for instance. Note, I've never seen this seller before, this isn't a recommendation, just an option.

Also of note, one version of the Terk has rabbit ears attached for VHF reception. Wouldn't necessarily be worth paying more for, but it's another option.
I've just heard bad things about Terk, as in, they're like the Bose of antennas - overpriced and not better.
Old 11-15-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For sure. But this one is the same product, so it just depends on price. Some of their antennas are really ridiculous. $350 for something about half as capable as the Channel Master I mentioned above.
Old 11-15-06, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I just need something to add to BUY.com so I can use the $30 off coupon....what to buy....hmmm. Shipping on buy.com really sucks lately.