DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Splitting an Optical Digital Audio Signal

Old 01-31-06, 06:18 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 57
Splitting an Optical Digital Audio Signal

Hi there.
My stereo receiver has one digital audio optical output. But I want to use digital sound on my TV and on my XBOX 360.

I picked up a digital audio splitter on ebay. It has one input and 2 outputs. I just tired putting it all together, and no results. The sound comes in a little bit at first, then nothing. I have tried different combinations with the cables, and still nothing. Am I trying to do the impossible or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Dave
TheDave123 is offline  
Old 01-31-06, 11:10 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,675
I'm a bit confused. I think you mean your receiver has one INPUT - in other words, you want to connect two sources (TV and xbox) to it.

The splitter should work (you will actually be using it as a combiner). You should use a decent (nothing fancy, but not super cheap - check out monoprice.com) optical cable for each connection, and keep the cables as short as possible. Only have device can be on at a time - if you are using the xbox, the tv must be off. I bet you have a cable box, so this might present a problem since they are almost always on. Let us know if that works.
BobDole42 is offline  
Old 02-01-06, 07:20 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Shagrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 7,383
I'm using a splitter on my receiver since I have two optical ins, and three devices (dvd, ps2, xbox). I didn't have any problem with the cheap splitter and cables that I got off ebay a couple years ago.
Shagrath is offline  
Old 02-01-06, 04:50 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,249
I picked up a digital audio splitter on ebay. It has one input and 2 outputs
Ok, still confused.

Your receiver has one input. Your splitter has one input. You have two devices that have outputs. You still did not solve your problem as the splitter will do exactly what it says it will, split one source into two, not the other way around.
Brian Shannon is offline  
Old 02-01-06, 09:11 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,675
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Ok, still confused.

Your receiver has one input. Your splitter has one input. You have two devices that have outputs. You still did not solve your problem as the splitter will do exactly what it says it will, split one source into two, not the other way around.
Actually, an optical splitter can be used in reverse. As long as only one input is active at a time it will work as I described. I used one for a while to connect 2 xboxs to a receiver.
BobDole42 is offline  
Old 02-02-06, 03:16 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,419
I got a great optical splitter from Radio Shack for both my XBOX and Playstation 2.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-02-06 at 03:20 AM.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 02-02-06, 02:10 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,576
Yeah, I think he might be sending the signal from two sources.....

Be more specific, like said...if one is from a cable box, turn it off while you play XBOX and vice versa.
DJ_Longfellow is offline  
Old 02-02-06, 04:38 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,249
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Yeah, I think he might be sending the signal from two sources.....

Be more specific, like said...if one is from a cable box, turn it off while you play XBOX and vice versa.
Exactly what I was thinking and that is what is causing the problem.
Brian Shannon is offline  
Old 02-03-06, 05:48 PM
  #9  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 57
Thanks for all the replies.
Sorry for the incorrect terminology. I know my way around this stuff, but not an expert.
Still no luck, even with the cable box off.
Here's how I have it set up:
Digital cable from stereo goes into one port in the splitter. Two other digital cables go into the other two ports in the splitter. One cable goes to hte XBOX and one goes to the back of the cable box.
With the XBOX off, there is no cable sound. And with the cable box off, no luck with the XBOX. Do I have a bum splitter maybe? Or is my configuartion wrong?
Thanks.
Dave
TheDave123 is offline  
Old 02-03-06, 06:05 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,675
Originally Posted by TheDave123
Thanks for all the replies.
Sorry for the incorrect terminology. I know my way around this stuff, but not an expert.
Still no luck, even with the cable box off.
Here's how I have it set up:
Digital cable from stereo goes into one port in the splitter. Two other digital cables go into the other two ports in the splitter. One cable goes to hte XBOX and one goes to the back of the cable box.
With the XBOX off, there is no cable sound. And with the cable box off, no luck with the XBOX. Do I have a bum splitter maybe? Or is my configuartion wrong?
Thanks.
Dave
it sounds like you have everythign set up right. Try this: unplug the xbox's optical cable and keep the cable box connected. If you still don't get any sound, then it is probably a bad splitter. The optical input on your tv works for sure, right? You may want to try to plug one of the devices directly into the receiver to make sure the problem isn't with the receiver.
BobDole42 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.