Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Different DVI connectors - will they work?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-06, 11:36 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I couldn't find a thread based on this specific situation. If one exists, go ahead and close this one. Also, if this is better suited in the HD forum, feel free to move it there.

My Toshiba HDTV has a HDMI connector on the back. I have an AGP video card in my computer with a DVI-out on the back. I need a DVI to HDMI cable.

Now, every DVI to HDMI cable I can find has a connecter like this for the DVI side:
http://images.monoprice.com/productl...ages/26613.jpg

but, my video card has a connector that looks like the one in this pic that's labeled DVI-I connector (not the drawing, but the actual photo):
http://images.tomshardware.com/2004/...connectors.jpg

It appears as though the cable WILL fit into the connector, but will that cause me any problems (due to less pins and the different-shaped pin on the far side)? Has anyone tried anything like this with success or failure?

Last edited by Dan; 01-29-06 at 11:37 AM. Reason: fix title
Old 01-30-06, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will work fine. The difference in pins is single-link versus dual-link. If your video card were dual-link (very few are) then it could optionally make use of the extra pins. But regular HDMI is always single-link anyway, so your tv could never receive the optional dual-link portion of the single anyway, and thus the pins are not included in the cable.

As far as I know, there is no single-link only female DVI connector, they just use the dual-link connector and ignore the extra pins.
Old 01-30-06, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
DVI supports several connection schemes, analog and digital, notably DVI-I and DVI-D. The issue is not so much the cable (they could populate all the pins) as your equipment on both ends. I'm no expert, but these links may help:
http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_C...e_DVI_Bus.html
http://www.optomahometheater.com/howto/b8_6.asp

Many HDTVs can't be properly driven from video cards, some can.
Old 01-30-06, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the DVI info. I think I have a DVI-D hooked up to my current TV/monitor, but I just bought a DVI-I since my new TV that is being shipped has that (I believe). Hoepfully I didn't waste any money. I now have a about 4 different DVI cables at home (got a couple from work people were throwing away...DVI-D)
Old 01-30-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, you probably wasted your money. The I version (I'm guessing it means Integrated) means it carries both digital and analog signals - the analog part are the 4 pins around the little "+" shaped thing on the side. In most cases, when you are using DVI you are just using the digital part.
Old 01-31-06, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh well....at least it was not expensive. Is there any benefit of using DVI-I to DVI-D?