Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help with Center Channel speaker.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been asking a lot of questions lately...however, I need a cneter channel now.

I just got a new TV (well, it's in route) and I'm upgrading a few things. I think I'm only going to have front speakers for now (L/R/C). I have the L & R already, but I'm looking for a decent Center speaker that will fit on a budget. I have POLK L&R. Space is a bit of an issue, but I could put the center speaker up a bit higher, which I know is wrong, but probably the only place....

Any suggestions? I was looking at JBL and POLK, but I don't want to spend that much, since it's just for my back room/office.

I will eventually get a small sub and some rear speakers when I can run speaker wire when it gets warmer outside.
Old 01-27-06, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a polk center to match your L/R. I would look at whatever the closest match to your L/R's is.
Old 01-27-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, I may just get a HT package now....any experiences with the JBL SCS2007.1

OneCall has a decent deal on it...and figure for $250 I can get everything. It's a small room, so I'm not looking to shake it.
Old 01-27-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
You definitely want your front three speakers to be tonally matched to one another, and the only way to do that is to buy a comparable center channel from the same manufacturer. Otherwise, you run the risk of hearing an audible difference in tone and sound quality from one speaker to the next.
Old 01-27-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks...that is what I though. I think a POLK center runs about $175 or so. I may just go the cheap route with this JBL's, since I can get the WHOLE system for $250 shipped.
Old 01-27-06, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Placing a center higher is not a problem, you just need to angle it slightly downward. I agree on the matching speakers however, very important.