Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

wavy line samsung hdtv mode problem

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

wavy line samsung hdtv mode problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-06, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wavy line samsung txn3271hf vertical geometry/service menu?

I have a problem with a Samsung 32" TXN3271HF dynaflat. I have devices hooked up to component 1 and 2, using the component video cables. Everything works and looks fine in standard (480i or interlaced mode), however when I switch devices (DVD player, XBOX, etc) to 480p mode I get the following. Imagine that the screen is divided into about a dozen horizontal "strips", then take every other one and shift them by 1/4", for example when I see a doorway or other vertical line/edge anywhere on the screen it ends up wavy or staggered looking, like this:

|
->|
|
->|
|
->|
|

..instead of a straight vertical line. When I switch back to 480i everything is fine, have tried multiple devices on both sets of inputs with the same results. I also at one time had an HDTV set top box and I got the exact same results in 1080i mode. Otherwise everything works fine but of course I'm unable to use the high definition features of this set at all.

Any idea what would cause this? I do have access to the service menu if I can fix it there. The TV was like this right out of the box, but is no longer under warranty, I deperately need help on this.

Last edited by blue58; 01-10-06 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-09-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
I know that some 30 inch SlimFit Sammys have geometry problems so I wonder if this is the same thing? I hear there's a way to get into the service menu for "tweaking" if you know what you're doing.
Old 01-09-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not familiar with this model, but it does sound like what happens when you send a progressive signal to a TV that can only do interlaced. Now, I would expect that TV to be able to handle 480p and 1080i since those are both native outputs. So, something may simply be wrong with it. Too bad your warranty expired.

Perhaps there is a menu setting where you need to turn on the higher resolutions.
Old 01-09-06, 02:46 PM

It's my understanding that that the TV line doubles anyway, so I'm not losing anything afa 480p (although why it couldn't handle it is beyond me), I'm just doing this for testing...I have ordered a HDTV set top box so I'll be able to test other modes soon, but if I get the same results I'll still be as stumped and $200 broker...this really sucks ;-)
Old 01-10-06, 06:19 AM

OK, I've made a significant discovery! When in 480i mode, my screen has a gentle wave vertically, sort of a trapezoid or whatever, but rather than the whole thing being bowed out/in, it repeats itself 2-3 times vertically. Now on 480i it's not THAT noticeable, however when I go to 480p it seems to double or so and again more on 1080i to the point where it's unwatchable. So my long gradual wavy vertical becomes a much more pronounced jagged set of "strips", left, right, left, right, etc on down the screen if that makes sense.

2 things that bother me, the fact that it repeats itself (vs trying to fix a simple bowing), and that it's consistent through all modes, just more of it, sharper angles/curves. Can I fix this in the service menu? Seems like I would need to do it in all 3 modes which again don't seem to make sense...but more importantly what service menu items should I adjust? Or at least which ones affect vertical geometry so I'm not in there dicking things up unneccessarily. I also have a horizontal bowing or dropping down, but from what I've read this can't be adjusted.

Thanks for the help guys, this has been so frustrating and I really hope I can fix this.
Old 01-10-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't help with geometry since I don't have that TV and never really played with geometry. But is it possible some of this is a grounding issue? Is the wave altering the actual sides of the picture, or is it just over the pic and in the way?
Old 01-10-06, 11:10 AM

Altering the picture, and although it may be more severe on the left and right edges, it seems to affect the entire screen....as if the picture is made up of 1/2 dozen horizontal bands that get shifted left & right, bands "multiply" in higher resolutions.
Old 01-10-06, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It really just sounds like a bad tube out of the box.
Old 01-11-06, 06:14 AM

OK, I finally just dove in and started changing stuff. Turns out it was the H EW setting, messing up things BADLY in the center third of the screen combined with typical trapazoid/bow problems. Got it looking much better now, whew. Thanks for the help tho.