Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

? dvd(s) to calibrate your plasma tv

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-05, 08:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any other dvd's to calibrate your 16 x 9 plasma tv besides the 'Avia' disc and the 'digital video essentials' discs? I have read really bad reviews for the video essentials, and the Avia seems way over priced for the info I am looking for. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
thanks-
Old 12-24-05, 10:09 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure why you have seen bad reviews for DVE, because I think it is a fine disc for its purpose. I use it nearly exclusively over Avia these days. That said, Avia is much more of a "beginner" disc with its human narrator. Avia is somewhat expensive (but perfectly reasonable at $35+), but easily worth the price if you need detailed help and handholding while calibrating your set. But if you want the test patterns alone for a cheap price, DVE is great.

I don't know of any other calibration discs, save the (nearly) worthless THX optimizers on (most?) discs with THX.
Old 12-24-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smurr5
Are there any other dvd's to calibrate your 16 x 9 plasma tv besides the 'Avia' disc and the 'digital video essentials' discs? I have read really bad reviews for the video essentials, and the Avia seems way over priced for the info I am looking for. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
thanks-
I caved and bought DVE after I realized I wasn't getting the best picture possible on my recently bought 42" plasma and I didn't want to drop $30+ on Avia. While DVE IS confusing to navigate, the test patterns made it worth the $17 I spent on the disk. I'm a COMPLETE novice when it comes to calibrating and such and the DVE helped immensely.

FWIW, you can probably pick up a legit used copy of DVE on eBay for a few dollars before shipping.
Old 12-24-05, 01:01 PM

You can get S&V Tune Up discs at Best Buy.
Also go to http://www.soundandvisionmag.com, and it will link you to a site to buy it............
Good luck!
Old 12-24-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Rent it!
Old 12-24-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are some other discs, but I wouldn't get them. DVE and Avia are basically it. S&V mentioned above is by the Avia people, sorta Avia-Lite. Works great.
Old 12-25-05, 10:13 AM
Banned

Thanks for the help and advice-
smurr