Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

TV stand with locking glass doors?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-05, 10:13 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone suggest a TV stand with locking glass doors? Preferrably, it would be available online or at a major chain (Ikea, Target, et cetera).

I thought it would be easy to find one, but I am coming up empty handed. Thanks for any leads.
Old 12-22-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Do you want the glass for the looks? I use an imitation antique buffet with solid wood doors in our living room. It happens to have a lock on it. I use an RF remote so that I don't have to open the door when just watching TV. Works well.
Old 12-22-05, 11:26 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Do you want the glass for the looks?
No, not really. The desire for glass was to allow the use of remotes (I'm working on programming my MX-700 and making that a singular remote) to function through the glass.

I also thought (initially) it would be easy to find a unit with sliding glass doors that I could add a lock to. But either I'm not searching properly, or they are tougher to find than I expected.

But I would consider a unit with locking wood doors if one with glass doors won't work out. Mainly I want the lock to prevent little ones that are around (and not my own children, so I cannot "teach" them to respect my stuff) from toying with my electronics. It also seems somewhat more "secure" though I know those puny locks would not prevent any theivery.
Old 12-23-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you end up with wood, check this out: http://www.smarthome.com/8225p.html
Old 12-23-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
I don't remember seeing a glass doors with locks.

And you are going to have to open the doors to insert DVD's, so I personally don't find the wood to be a problem at all, and it has a huge WAF. I did drill several holes in the back of the unit and added a fan for ventalition. I even put our dishnetwork Tuner/DVR in there and we don't open the doors at all while just watching TV, but was afraid of the heat so that is why cut the holes and added the fan.

My inexpensive remote came with RF, but obviously the system Spiky shows would would well.
Old 12-28-05, 09:31 AM

If you find something you like with either wood doors, or at least a wood "frame" around glass, there are some slick magnetic locking devices that you can get that I used on my homemade cabiniet when my son was younger. They definitely wouldn't work with all glass though, because you have to screw the lock into the surface. They work great!

We bought them at Babies R Us, I think maybe Walmart has them too. I'm sure others carry them as well with their child safety stuff.

Here's a link: http://www.safety1st.com/product.asp?productID=208
Old 12-28-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks interesting, how does it work? Can't tell from their blurry picture.
Old 12-29-05, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Looks interesting, how does it work? Can't tell from their blurry picture.
Basically, there's a latch that you screw onto the door itself, then a 'plate' for the latch to connect to the solid surface next to the door. When you install it, it is completely hidden from view when your door (or drawer) is closed. You simply take the provided magnet, hold it outside the door over the area where the latch is (inside the door), and it opens the latch, thus allowing you to open the door.

There is also a way to disable it so that it is always unlocked and you don't have to use the magnet (like after your kids grow up, and you're not worried about it any more).

We actually saw them the first time at the doctor's office examining room, and when I saw them at Babies R Us, had to try them. VERY handy!