Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Which remote control do I need?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Which remote control do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-05, 10:48 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by matome
If you want to get a feel for the PC program ahead of time you can download the program/instructions/user manual from their website. Remotecentral.com also has lots of preprogrammed user-submitted setups and tips.
Awesome, thanks for the links!
Old 12-14-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How good are universal remotes adapting to components. I have a Sony STR-DA1000ES receiver and I have to scroll on that remote between DVD and TV/SAT, then click the scroll button. Will universal remotes be able to do this? I have to switch from TV to DVD at times on my Mits WS55xxx TV also. I'm just curious how good universal remotes are good at this. I see Harmony had a 360 remote for $120 (or less)
Old 12-14-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Each one is different. You sound like you need some macros to automate tasks that require multiple commands, like switching from TV to DVD often does. Most learning remotes offer these. All the MX-xxx remotes offer macros, the 700 or greater offer hundreds of them. The Harmony does macros by default.

Also, for the weird scroll wheel thing, if you can teach all the commands, the universal can do them. Obviously it won't have the scroll wheel, but it will have another method of switching which device you are operating.
Old 12-18-05, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I'd like to throw in another recommendation for the Harmony 880. So far, this has done everything I've wanted it to.
It'll switch every component on and to the right setting with one button.
I can operate every component seperately.
It has a help feature that will walk through a wizard if something doesn't work right.
The usb/pc interface was easy, although a bit annoying as it has to download a file each time you update the remote.
The tilt feature is nice to keep the remote in a sleep mode until picked up.
It has rechargeable batteries and a nice docking station to charge them.
The blue illuminated keys kick ass.

It does cost a bit more than some remotes, and probably wouldn't be considered budget. But, as Spiky mentioned, it's good to spend a bit extra on a remote since that's what you play with constantly.

Well, that and something else, but you already got that for free.
Old 12-18-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiky
Each one is different. You sound like you need some macros to automate tasks that require multiple commands, like switching from TV to DVD often does. Most learning remotes offer these. All the MX-xxx remotes offer macros, the 700 or greater offer hundreds of them. The Harmony does macros by default.
Macros, the greatest thing since sliced bread I'm loving my new MX700.
Old 12-19-05, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks...I think I may actually get the Logitech Harmony controller for the XBOX 360. ONe website has it for $92 shipped I believe (almost $40 off retail)
Old 01-08-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
I broke down and ordered a Harmony 880 from ecost, good price at $170 + $2.00 shipping. (Tho there is some stupid handling charge ) - still a good deal

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/...pno~669740.asp
Old 01-08-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I recommend Sony's RM-AV series. They can be found on the cheap (sometimes under $100) and, at the time (2003 and 2004) were some of the best remotes out there. I got one about 6-8 months ago and am extremely satisfied with it. It takes a bit of work to set up but it handles every possible thing you can throw at it and more. It is pretty big so it's not terribly efficient for channel-surfing (and with digital cable nowadays, who can "surf" through 400 channels anyway?).

(Full disclosure: I usually shy away from Sony since I believe all their products are overpriced, but with this remote now being under $100 as opposed to $200, it's a great value).
Old 01-09-06, 06:14 AM

Sony's RM-AV3100 series remote can be had at Newegg.com for $94.
I've been thinking about getting this.
Are there any other remotes out there that would be a better deal at the same price range??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...100-251&depa=0
Old 01-09-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Depends on what you like. I never liked the Sonys since they are bulky and have a fixed touchscreen. I prefer buttons or at least a variable touchscreen. But that's a great price for the 3100, and it's a very capable remote if you like the design.

MX-500 all-button remote is about $10 less. Both of these are now sold at about half of original cost, so both are excellent deals for what they can do.
Old 01-09-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Outside of multiple faceplates, is there a difference between THIS Harmony 676 at Amazon: for $199

and

This Harmony 676 at Amazon for under $120?

Old 01-09-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would say: Vanns price is MSRP, Amazon's is not. Otherwise, no difference.
Old 01-10-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just got my 880 in the mail, charging now. I like the size. Once I get programed will post back.
Old 01-10-06, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, got my Harmony 880 all programed up.

Components:
X1
HK HT receiver
Dishnetwork sat receiver
Toshiba sd-H400 Tivo w/DVD player
Voom (Motorola) HD receiver for OTA HD
Sony PS2 (not currently hooked up, but next project)

Initial programing was easy if a little basic. However once you go through everything once it is easy to go back and customize. The on line set up had everyone of my components. Very large selection.

After initial set up literally every thing worked as expected except volume control when I watched HD TV. This should be easy to fix and was easy to do manually.

Those macro's are pretty sweet. Not only does selecting "watch DVD" know to turn on my receiver/set to DVD, turn on the Toshiba/set to DVD, turn on my PJ/turn on computer but once everything on, I can go turn up or down volume that controls the H/K without switching to receiver.

The remote is "smart enough" that even though PJ is already on, when I push "watch TV" it leaves the PJ on and switches my Toshiba to Tivo.

The one button turn off is sweet as well. This works with the X1 even tho on the OEM remote and cheap universal remote I had you have to press power twice. I guess the Harmony electronically "presses it twice".

The screen is clear and bright and cool if not necessary that you can download your own background.

Only concern so far is I'm not sure it is sitting correctly in the cradle for charging. I'm going to do some checking. I know this has been an issue with some, so will have see.

Just getting into it, but so far very sweet.
Old 01-11-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So still playing on and off with the 880. So far love it. I was able to read in the manual that the unit must not be sitting in the cradle properly to recharge. However, I didn't want to return the whole thing to eCost as I like the remote and might just get another one that doesn't work.

So contacted Harmony. Excellent service. I told them the issue, they said yes unfortuantly have had some problems but they have created a new cradle and will ship it to me overnight for no charge! The individual even offered to give me her name in case I still had questions once I received it.
Old 01-14-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just a follow up...

I rec'd my new cradle direct from Harmony and it works great. No problems with the remote sitting in the charger now.

Still tweaking a little, but so far love the remote. Easy to program, easy to add additional commands to the macro's (err activities). Now that I got the hang of it the web site is a little combersome to move around quickly, but not terribly so. Works all my devises with ease and today, hopefully, will add my son's PS2 into the mix.

Highly recommended, tho if you don't want rechargable batteries or color screen, you can save about $50 and get the one under this one and still have pretty much the same functionality.
Old 01-17-06, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I got the 676 for my birthday Sunday. It's pretty slick. With a three-year old, we have lots of stuff that uses batteries, so we have invested in a couple sets of rechargeables, so that's not an issue, and a color screen is an option I don't have a lot of interest in.

The included setup CD was pretty much a waste, because as soon as I went to the website, it wanted me to uninstall the old and DL/install a new software. Not a huge deal. Entering my equipment just took a few minutes, setting up the channels to view on the display screen took longer [we get like 200 channels]. Although I don't know if I'll use that feature that much.
It's definitely convenient and flexible, when I switch activities, it does it all for me, and I like being able to hit 'off' and know everythings off. The transport buttons are just about right where my thumb goes, so it's laid out pretty well. I have to stretch to use the 'soft' buttons, but I only have those for the advanced features, or features I don't use as much.

It does work the PS2, but I've only used it so far for turning it on/off.
It did not work my Kenwood receiver, but the Kenwood remote hasn't worked in two years. Someone in another thread had a similar problem, and I think I found a possible solution. I was randomly googling last night, and apparently the kenwood VR series of recievers has an issue with the solder on the IR receiver inside the thing. Some people have gone into the receiver, found that circuit board, held a hot soldering iron [no new solder required] to the board/pins to make the connection, at which point the remote works fine. I've got a couple links bookmarked at home with pics and instructions from where people have done it, when I get home I'll post the links here. I'm also going to try to do the same thing, see if that's the case with mine. It would be sweet to get everything running on one remote.

Speaking of remotes [back on topic], I know I can tweak the 676 a little more, but I haven't had the chance to. So far I'm just using it and seeing what it does by default, before I get too fancy.
I do like the auto-glow and auto-glow off. Watching tv/movie in the dark really adds to the ambience, but having to fumble for remote buttons is no fun. The glow is bright enough to be visible, but not bright enough to be distracting.

Mine came with the two additional faceplates. Any tips on removing the old? It seems like it's on there pretty good [I'm assuming the silver/gray is a faceplate and not the base].
Now just to find more things that are operated by remote

Last edited by tonyc3742; 01-17-06 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-17-06, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I couldn't figure out why I my 880 wouldn't work my son's PS2. Finally looked on line for the OEM remotes and figured out the early PS2's didn't have the IR sensor built in and you have to add it -doh!- Not a huge deal, still use the remote to change my PJ, HT receiver so it is set up for PS2.

Still been tweaking mine, but love it so far.
Old 01-20-06, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

FYI - Harmony is now offering a $50 rebate on both the 880 and 676. Prices have gone up a little throughout the day, but still a darn good deal.

There is a thread at Obesewallet if interested, but you should now pretty easily be able to get the 676 for $75ish and the 880 for $130ish after rebate.