DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Major HD newb, simple question

Old 11-25-05, 10:59 PM

Major HD newb, simple question

No matter how much research I do, I can't seem to get the puzzle pieces connected here...please help me get my bearings! Is this string of logic all correct?

I got the plasma.

1) I put the PS2 in to play a DVD with a composite input, looks pretty cruddy. I need a new DVD player with a DVI (just to pick one) output, and a DVI cable to make DVDs looks like they should?

2) I have basic cable TV. I have to buy a HD Tuner, screw the threaded cable wire into the the input that says RF, get component cables, go from the tuner to the TV with them, and I can watch Conan O' Brien in HD automatically at no additional cable charge?

Sorry for being so obvious, but all the research I got treats most like they know some about it to begin with , and I trust everyone here. Thanks!!!!

Last edited by Joe Carioca; 11-25-05 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-25-05, 11:15 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1. Anything through composite-out will look like crap. I'm not familiar with the PS2 outputs, but if it has component-out, you should use that. I'm also not familiar with the quality of the DVDp in the PS2, so that could be an issue. I don't know if it does progressive scan, but if not, you'll want a new player.

You don't "need" a DVI-out player, you'll get the same quality out of component. But composite should be avoided at all costs.

2. Yes, you need an ATSC tuner and a UHF (or UHF/VHF) antenna. I got an RCA ATSC/NTSC tuner box from Amazon for around $150. That seems to be a common price these days. I also bought a UHF Zenith "Silver Sensor" antenna from Amazon. It depends on the distance, but I get very good signal on all digital channels from my apartment with that simple $20 antenna.

And yes, no additional charges with OTA HDTV. It's amazing stuff.
Old 11-26-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The PS2 is an awful DVD player. You need a new player, and you need one that will scale the output to match your Plasma's native resolution (almost certainly 720p). The Denon 1910 or the much-discussed Oppo will both work well and cost around $200.

Does your cable company offer HD? If so, get an HD box from them. It may cost another $5 a month, but it will be MUCH easier than trying to pull in OTA signals and you will probably get more channels. Also, a lot of cable companies now are offering HD boxes that also act as DVRs so you can record HD.
Old 11-26-05, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by mbs
2. Yes, you need an ATSC tuner and a UHF (or UHF/VHF) antenna. I got an RCA ATSC/NTSC tuner box from Amazon for around $150. That seems to be a common price these days. I also bought a UHF Zenith "Silver Sensor" antenna from Amazon. It depends on the distance, but I get very good signal on all digital channels from my apartment with that simple $20 antenna.

And yes, no additional charges with OTA HDTV. It's amazing stuff.
Thank you, it just seemed confusing that I would have to buy and addition 1,000 bucks worth of equipment to watch TV and DVD on the new TV. I didnt know about the antenna, since I don't use one now , and I was afraid this would be the case, because I'm not really able to put an antenna outdoors (technologically and financially impaired), and I'm in a house with aluminum siding, any alternatives besides the $15 a month HD box from Comcast? I appreciate the product recommendations and the clarification!

Last edited by Joe Carioca; 11-27-05 at 12:23 PM.