DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Progressive Scan hookup Question

Old 11-20-05, 06:06 PM

Progressive Scan hookup Question

i have a sanyo tv with component hookups and a sony progressive scan dvd player. when i hook the two up and try to use the progressive scan feature on the dvd player, the tv goes to blue screen. when i checked out the tv manual it said "when using component hookup, you MUST set the dvd player to interlace". am i going to see any improvement in picture by using component when the progressive scan feature has effectively been neutered? is the component hookup on this tv pretty much a third standard A/V in?
Old 11-20-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by darkthronerocks
am i going to see any improvement in picture by using component when the progressive scan feature has effectively been neutered?
Improvement compared to what?

S-Video? Probably a bit, but you don't mention how big the TV is. The bigger it is, the more likely you'd see a difference.

Composite? Definitely.
Old 11-20-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It sounds like your TV is not an HD or HD-ready model, which means that you can't use the progressive scan feature. Beyond that, component video offers an improvement in color reproduction over composite or S-video. If you can use component, there's no reason not to.
Old 11-20-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also, DVDs are stored with video in component format, so it is certainly the best choice.
Old 11-21-05, 12:56 AM

great, thanks, i tend to watch older, low budget movies that don't have the greatest transfers. it does seem like the component video ups the color scheme even through all the grain