Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Celestion AVC501 center channel: any thoughts? How about other solid, cheap centers?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Celestion AVC501 center channel: any thoughts? How about other solid, cheap centers?

Old 11-17-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm looking for a new center channel for my small home theater. My TV is only a 32" Zenith HDTV and my receiver is a Denon... something (a cheaper one). My center blew a while back and I've been using one of my surrounds instead, but that's got to stop.

This is an interesting looking speaker: http://www.celestion.com/products/AV501/AVC501.htm

This low-profile center would work in the space (the room is rather small) and I was wondering if this model/brand had any rep. Reviews are hard to find.

Also, any other suggestions for good centers that are reasonably priced?
Old 11-17-05, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What speakers are you using? The right center is one that matches your L/R speakers
Old 11-17-05, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What BobDole42 said. You want to get a center that matches your front L/R speakers so that the sound is matched. Otherwise it can sound really bad.
Old 11-17-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

1st, agree your center should match your fronts,

2nd, Celestion is British speaker maker well known in the "high end" audio area. They make excellent speakers. Generally known for accuracy amoung all else. In general highly recommended.

3rd, I'm using complete celestion set ups in both my living room and media room. I have the AVP 305's

http://www.celestion.com/products/so...oundstyle.html

Do a search if interested there is a longish thread on them here as several of us got them when Best Buy cleared them out.
Old 11-17-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
1st, agree your center should match your fronts,

2nd, Celestion is British speaker maker well known in the "high end" audio area. They make excellent speakers. Generally known for accuracy amoung all else. In general highly recommended.

3rd, I'm using complete celestion set ups in both my living room and media room. I have the AVP 305's

http://www.celestion.com/products/so...oundstyle.html

Do a search if interested there is a longish thread on them here as several of us got them when Best Buy cleared them out.
I got one as well from Best Buy. Speakers are great, but I think you need a decent receiver to get the most out of the speakers. I replaced my jvc htib receiver with an Onkyo sr502 and the difference of the clarity and depth of the sound was huge.
Old 11-18-05, 07:03 AM

I'm also using a complete AVP305 Celestion setup (all seven speakers) for my home theater. I'm using an Onkyo TXSR602 receiver.
The sound from these, especially the center speaker is incredible.
Old 11-18-05, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a Denon 1804, which isn't their high end but it's pretty good.

My speakers are Rocket Tykes, which are made by a small audiophile comapny called AV123. They are cheap little speakers and the sats are fantastic for the size and price but the center has gone out on me twice (they replaced it, next one went out too). Could it be the receiver? Actually, no because I swapped in a sat for the center for a looooong time and it never blew. I guess I should start by asking AV123 what to do but that Celestion is very attractive to me. I don't know if it'll match, however.
Old 11-18-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You really don't want a different center. That is the most important matching, the center and the 2 fronts. So unless you are going to switch completely, you should stick with the Rockets.

It is entirely possible that there was a short in your speaker wire. Did you happen to replace it when you switched to the satellite speaker? Call them up and talk to them about it. From what I hear, they have great service.
Old 11-18-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They do have great service. Actually, unbelievable service: When the CEO was in NYC a couple years ago for some expo he took a bunch of his local customers out to a fancy lunch. It was insane. He's a very nice guy and his company is impressive. I almost don't want to go back for a third center because I'm sad to put them out! But you're right. I'll buzz them.
Old 11-18-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Gil - good luck getting a replacement from AV123, because they discontinued the Tykes and ELT's earlier this fall.

ETA: Just checked - they aren't even listed on their product page anymore.

Email Sean/Steve and see what they can do for you.
Old 11-18-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not worried about it. Those guys are such darlings I wouldn't be surprised if they just recommended me a good replacement even if it was from a competitor. I wonder why they discontinued the Tykes. I haven't been to their forum for a while. If I recall they didn't sell that well, which leads me to believe that they have a bunch sitting around. They really do sound great for such tiny little guys (when they don't blow )
Old 11-18-05, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
I got one as well from Best Buy. Speakers are great, but I think you need a decent receiver to get the most out of the speakers. I replaced my jvc htib receiver with an Onkyo sr502 and the difference of the clarity and depth of the sound was huge.
Totally True!

When I 1st got the Celestions, I had a POS Sony. Sound was ok, but highs were harsh and they sounded strained. I got a refurbished discountinued H/K for the living room and is awesome. Now the sound is very smooth, not strained and almost a 3-d to front stage.

I picked a H/K AVR 135 for my media room and it is also awesome with the speakers. No doubt the better the receiver, the better the sound with these speakers. But that says a lot about the speaker!
Old 11-19-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
I'm not worried about it. Those guys are such darlings I wouldn't be surprised if they just recommended me a good replacement even if it was from a competitor. I wonder why they discontinued the Tykes. I haven't been to their forum for a while. If I recall they didn't sell that well, which leads me to believe that they have a bunch sitting around. They really do sound great for such tiny little guys (when they don't blow )
They discontinued both the Tykes and ELT's because they are introducing a new line of budget speakers, the X-series (?), sometime around New Year's. Even if they don't have any, I'm sure you could pick up a used center in their "for sale" forum.
Old 11-19-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Totally True!

When I 1st got the Celestions, I had a POS Sony. Sound was ok, but highs were harsh and they sounded strained. I got a refurbished discountinued H/K for the living room and is awesome. Now the sound is very smooth, not strained and almost a 3-d to front stage.

I picked a H/K AVR 135 for my media room and it is also awesome with the speakers. No doubt the better the receiver, the better the sound with these speakers. But that says a lot about the speaker!
Yeah you were my mentor. I asked you about the speakers and convinvced me to buy it. Then I asked you about the wiring and receiver. Thanks again!!
Old 11-20-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
Yeah you were my mentor. I asked you about the speakers and convinvced me to buy it. Then I asked you about the wiring and receiver. Thanks again!!
Wow I'm flattered

I'm so glad you enjoy them. Best Buy had these so cheap many were asking "are these computer speakers" or "could I hook up my iPod to them", etc. And while I have not problem people using them for that, I wanted to get across the Celestion makes some serious nice speakers, and in a good system really can sing.

Before buying these, I was actually looking at a similar system from KEF. But the best price I could get for them was around $800 for the system, so decided to "try" the Celestions and never looked back.