Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help: Hooking up cable tv to digital projector

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-05, 10:00 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to attempt to feed a coax cable feed into a projector that has a minimum of S video and a single yellow video connection. I am no aware of additional connections as I have not seen it nor do I know the model #.

Its a $5000+ DLP projector that can display moving images.

Does radio shack or someone sell some sort of converter that allows you to translate a coax into s-video or some similar connection?

DO I need a cable box? I beleive only coax comes in currently......
Old 11-11-05, 11:40 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by MACD23
I am going to attempt to feed a coax cable feed into a projector that has a minimum of S video and a single yellow video connection. I am no aware of additional connections as I have not seen it nor do I know the model #.

Its a $5000+ DLP projector that can display moving images.

Does radio shack or someone sell some sort of converter that allows you to translate a coax into s-video or some similar connection?

DO I need a cable box? I beleive only coax comes in currently......

If by coax cable you mean a cable TV signal from your local cable company, you'll need a tuner of some kind to actually see the channels. If you have al cable box, then there probably should be outputs that work with your projector. If you have standard cable that doesn't need a box, you could use a VCR as the tuner... and most VCRs would have S-video and composite outputs.
Old 11-11-05, 12:13 PM
Banned

Thank you. I was thinking of the VCR idea. I hope to have this working for a game on sunday, so the VCR might do the trick. Thanks again.
Old 11-11-05, 02:04 PM

Wouldnt you want a cable box for the HD feed anyway? I mean if its a $5000 dlp projector you would think you woul benefit from a cable box of some sort with hdmi? or component cables.
Old 11-11-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
If you're feeding standard-defintion cable into your projector via composite video, expect the picture quality to be pretty horrendous when magnified to a large screen. If you have an HDTV cable box and will be watching the game in HD, you must connect it to your projector by component video or DVI/HDMI.
Old 11-14-05, 08:02 AM
Banned

It worked out great with the VCR. No, HDTV would have obviously been preferable, however that was not an option. this was last minute setup. thanks again.
Old 11-14-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get the HD box from your cable company if they offer it. It'll cost $10/month rental and maybe some more for HD channels if you want more than the locals. But it is worth it, especially on a big screen, and especially for football.
Old 11-14-05, 01:08 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Spiky
Get the HD box from your cable company if they offer it. It'll cost $10/month rental and maybe some more for HD channels if you want more than the locals. But it is worth it, especially on a big screen, and especially for football.

It might be even less than that. My HD cable is only $5 a month for the local networks, ESPNHD, TNTHD, Discovery HD, and at least a couple of others.
Old 11-14-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Probably different for every locality. But make sure you are talking about the same thing. There is box rental, and there is programming fees. You likely pay both.