DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Trying to decide on a HDTV

Old 10-26-05, 05:25 PM

Trying to decide on a HDTV

I am looking into getting the 42" Samsung DLP HL-R4266w for $1749 at Circuit City and was wondering if this is a good bedroom TV that will be hooked up to a decent surround sound system (Harman-Kardon receiver and NHT speakers and sub) and will have an XBOX 360 hooked up to it on Nov 22nd when the system comes out. this TV will be used for alot of console gaming and I was wondering if you think this is a good choice or if there is a better set on the market for around 2000 range. I am also looking at getting a 34" widescreen tube (Sony KV-34HS420) for $1199 also at Circuit City if I dont go with a DLP. my only concern is the picture quality with the samsung, I noticed it is 720p and the sony is 1080i and this is my first HDTV so I am not sure if that makes a big difference. I cant afford a 1080p DLP at the moment so trying to find the best TV in my price range. I have been thinking about getting an HDTV for a while but I am finally breaking down and buying one, probably in the next few weeks.

also considering a sony 42" 3LCD (kdf-e42a10) which is the same price as the samsung DLP. I am not sure which is the best of these 2 though.

Last edited by bluntman72; 10-26-05 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-27-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know some people say DLP has a slight delay with gaming, but they probaly have resolved that. I use a RPTV and love it, but it's probaby bigger than you want. If size if not an issue, check out the Mitsubishi TV's from Best Buy...they are worth it.
Old 10-27-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I know some people say DLP has a slight delay with gaming, but they probaly have resolved that. I use a RPTV and love it, but it's probaby bigger than you want. If size if not an issue, check out the Mitsubishi TV's from Best Buy...they are worth it.
Yeah, that was resolved a couple years ago. I have a Sammy 61in DLP with an Xbox. I have NEVER experienced any delay.

Now, you might possibly have delay on a PS2 since the games are 480i and the tv would have to downconvert the signal, but I really dont know. I dont have a PS2. My xbox works great and has a wonderful picture. The 360 will be even better.
Old 10-27-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a Toshiba DLP and a 90" screen. No delay with N64 or Gamecube games, either 480i or 480p. (haven't plugged any other consoles in, yet)

You have mentioned several different types of technology. You should try them all out as much as possible to see which you like the best. They all have a different look, different black level capability, different artifacts inherent to the technology. Not to mention different physical sizes.

Last edited by Spiky; 10-27-05 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-27-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad DLP was resolved for gaming. If I upgrade I'm looking at the MITS DLP TV's or Sony 3LCD RPTV. We'll see. Anyone wanna buy a 55" Mits?
Old 10-27-05, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DJ, I'm not sure a DLP would be an upgrade from a nice 55" Mits CRT-based RPTV. Very doubtful an LCD RPTV would be an upgrade. It doesn't get much better than yours, maybe a Pioneer Elite CRT RPTV is better. Is yours ISF calibrated? I'd only dump it to go BIG (see below) or if it is older and HDCP over digital becomes a big issue, or something.

Now, a projector, OTOH.....that might be something better with a screen 4x the size, which can make up for black level deficiencies of DLP/LCD.
Old 10-27-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Glad DLP was resolved for gaming. If I upgrade I'm looking at the MITS DLP TV's or Sony 3LCD RPTV. We'll see. Anyone wanna buy a 55" Mits?
I did the same thing. Sold my old 55in MITS CRT for the DLP.

It is true that black levels are better on a CRT. But my DLP set has a bigger screen (61in) and is smaller in size/weight than the MITS. The resolution on games looks ALOT better than the MITS too.

Im very happy with my purchase thus far. It should last me a few years until I build my home theater.