DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HDTV on an EDTV? Confused.

Old 10-06-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

HDTV on an EDTV? Confused.

Charter just installed my cable after a recent move. Wasn't really interested in HDTV capabilities since I bought a 42" Panasonic plasma EDTV. In fact, I was looking forward to the DVR more. The installer kept trying to tout the HDTV capabilities of my new DVR box (Moxi-something) even though I insisted I didn't have an HDTV. So, my question is: What exactly am I watching when I have the channel on, say ESPNHD? I mean, the picture DOES look considerably better comparted to the crappy analog stations, but it's not...HDTV. Hell, I'm confusing myself here.

Anyone able to decipher what the hell I'm talking about? LOL.
Old 10-06-05, 11:04 PM

yea u have an ed television so your capable of 780 lines of resolution hd true hd is 1080 basically you are capable of recievin an excellent pic not quite hd but a step under u shoule take advantage of it your tv's capabilities i would get a set of component cables for your dvd player and take advantage of the good color too when u watch movies
Old 10-06-05, 11:53 PM

Location: In The Ninth Circle of Hell Where All Dvds Are Fullscreen
NO EDTV is only 450p not 720p(780i). 720p is still HD. Regular cable is 320i so HD will look a lot better even on your EDTV. You should get the component cables for sure it will give you a much better picture.
Old 10-06-05, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IIRC, edtv is capable of 480p max.Where an hdtv is capable of 720p-1080i max. resolution.So,edtv would be the same quality as watching dvd,and any hd source would be downconverted.
Old 10-06-05, 11:56 PM

More accurately, and with punctuation:

EDTV is 480p, which means it has 480 lines of vertical resolution. This is exactly the same vertical resolution as analog TV, which is 480i. The reason the picture looks so much better when receiving HDTV is because the signal is digital, and doesn't degrade nearly as much as analog. The resulting video is much, much cleaner. This is the same reason DVDs look so much better than broadcast TV, even though they're the same resolution.

HDTV is normally either 720 or 1080 lines of vertical resolution. In your case, either your TV or your set-top box is squeezing the picture down to 480 lines of resolution before displaying it. The result isn't quite as sharp as if you had a true HDTV; but like I said earlier, just having a clean digital source makes a world of difference.

(Edit: and while I was typing, two people have basically said the same thing with a lot less text.)
Old 10-07-05, 12:09 AM
Suspended

852x480p is most likely the plasma's resolution, which is a higher resolution than DVDs.

An HD picture on your EDTV will be worlds better than SDTV and should be even better than DVDs in most cases.

Last edited by Slayer2005; 10-07-05 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-07-05, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by GHackmann

EDTV is 480p, which means it has 480 lines of vertical resolution. This is exactly the same vertical resolution as analog TV, which is 480i. The reason the picture looks so much better when receiving HDTV is because the signal is digital, and doesn't degrade nearly as much as analog. The resulting video is much, much cleaner. This is the same reason DVDs look so much better than broadcast TV, even though they're the same resolution.

HDTV is normally either 720 or 1080 lines of vertical resolution. In your case, either your TV or your set-top box is squeezing the picture down to 480 lines of resolution before displaying it. The result isn't quite as sharp as if you had a true HDTV; but like I said earlier, just having a clean digital source makes a world of difference.

(Edit: and while I was typing, two people have basically said the same thing with a lot less text.)

Thanks for all the info., guys. Been fiddling with the DVR a bit, and while disappointed with the analog channels, the HDTV ones look amazing. Never seen a baseball game look so good on a tv. I do have component cables which also make a world of diff. when watching DVDs.

Another question though: Should I be getting closed captioning on the HD channels? I'm hearing impaired and ended up watching Survivor on analog rather than HD because I couldn't get CC to work on HD. Tips?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-07-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GHackmann

Just want to add something on this. Another part of the reason for HD signal looking better even on an EDTV is that you are downconverting from higher resolution instead of upconverting. Always looks better. In fact, most think it looks better than even good DVDs on an EDTV. Also, broadcast TV is often not the same resolution as DVD. Technically, the signal is the same res, but the actual content inside the signal can be far less with SDTV/NTSC. VHS is only capable of half the vertical 480i resolution, for instance.
Old 10-07-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Thanks for all the info., guys. Been fiddling with the DVR a bit, and while disappointed with the analog channels, the HDTV ones look amazing. Never seen a baseball game look so good on a tv. I do have component cables which also make a world of diff. when watching DVDs.

Another question though: Should I be getting closed captioning on the HD channels? I'm hearing impaired and ended up watching Survivor on analog rather than HD because I couldn't get CC to work on HD. Tips?

Thanks in advance!
It's great, isn't it! Sports is just awesome in HD.

The CC should work. Maybe they forgot to include it in the signal at the source. Or maybe you need to turn it on with the DVR instead of the TV. That's what happens with DVDs, for instance, it is often necessary to use the DVD player's CC menu instead of the TV's.
Old 10-08-05, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
It's great, isn't it! Sports is just awesome in HD.

The CC should work. Maybe they forgot to include it in the signal at the source. Or maybe you need to turn it on with the DVR instead of the TV. That's what happens with DVDs, for instance, it is often necessary to use the DVD player's CC menu instead of the TV's.
You were right. THANKS! Managed to get the CC on via the DVR. BUT, my taste of ESPNHD was short-lived. Apparently I'm not a subscriber, so when I'm ready to sit on hold with Charter I'll sign up. Can't wait to watch some college basketball on HD.

Last question (I swear): Why do NBC and CBS HD have bars to the right and left, but ESPNHD filled the entire screen?
Old 10-08-05, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Last question (I swear): Why do NBC and CBS HD have bars to the right and left, but ESPNHD filled the entire screen?
That's only if the HD shows aren't 16:9. Watch CSI or any hour long drama, most are 16:9. I've had my ED for a year now, and CSI is amazing.

Try turning your cable box off with your TV on, and press the menu button on your remote. You should be able to scroll through the 480/720/1080 defaults and options for changing 4:3 to stretch/zoom/horizon/whatever they call it. If not, call their 800# and ask how you can change it. My Comcast HD DVR looks best feeding 1080.
Old 10-08-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, to add...

Don't get all hung up in the names and letters. If it looks good, simply enjoy it. Also remember there are other things then just resolution that count towards your enjoyment. What are the black levels, how bright is it, how comfortable is the chair you are sitting in, how cold is the beer....etc
Old 10-08-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm. "If it looks good, simply enjoy it." Then you say, "What are the black levels"

Must be a projector owner.
Old 10-09-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
Hmm. "If it looks good, simply enjoy it." Then you say, "What are the black levels"

Must be a projector owner.
Not nice!

Funny...but not nice
Old 10-10-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey, I'm one too. I get to say it. You know we're all tweakers.
Old 10-10-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yea, I should have said SIZE does matter...