Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Confused - DVI / HDMI cables

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Motorola 6412 HD DVR from Comcast and a Sony 55wf655 HDTV. Putting aside the "digital vs. analog" argument, what cable do I need to make this connection? I know HDMI carries audio too, I'm just confused about HDMI vs. DVI-to-HDMI cables, male or female, etc.

Do I need a straight HDMI male cable? A DVI/HDMI cable?
Old 09-22-05, 11:39 AM

Look on the back of your DVR. What does it output- DVI or HDMI? Look at your TV. What does it input- DVI or HDMI? Write down whether they're male or female, go to the store and buy.
Old 09-22-05, 01:45 PM

If your Motorola STB has DVI out you will need to run a separate cable for audio (even if your TV has HDMI). If you have HDMI on both sides then one HDMI cable will handle the video and the sound. I have a DVI to HDMI cable and still have to run another cable to the television to handle the sound. Hope that helps.
Old 09-23-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most importantly, don't waste a lot of money on digital cables (like buying the $120 Monster Cables that Circuit City sells.) See the PC World article below:

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,121777,00.asp

Unless you get lucky like I did and find the HMDI and/or DVI cable you need on sale at Radio Shack for $12.95, give this etailer a look (They're recommended by lots of AVS Forum members.)

http://www.monoprice.com/
Old 09-24-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pretty sure the 6412 only has DVI and that TV only has HDMI. So you need a DVI-HDMI cable. I got my 25' cable from Monoprice, works great.
Old 09-30-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm almost positive the DVI on the Comcast box is disabled anyways. Check http://www.AVSforums.com.
Old 10-03-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I believe many people have gotten it to work. But only the 6412 works, the other cable boxes, maybe even the 1-tuner 6408, do not have functional DVI.
Old 10-05-05, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by RevKarl
Unless you get lucky like I did and find the HMDI and/or DVI cable you need on sale at Radio Shack for $12.95, give this etailer a look (They're recommended by lots of AVS Forum members.)

http://www.monoprice.com/

Wow. Why are their cable prices so cheap?
Old 10-05-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Because they don't jack the price up just because the technology is fairly new. There really isn't any difference between these and other computer video cables, which you've been able to buy for under $10 for years. Maybe some different specs, but not some magical new spec. Cable is still PVC, copper or other metals, and PE insulation....hasn't changed in decades. Just how many wires in one cable, size, etc. change.
Old 10-05-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
Because they don't jack the price up just because the technology is fairly new. There really isn't any difference between these and other computer video cables, which you've been able to buy for under $10 for years. Maybe some different specs, but not some magical new spec. Cable is still PVC, copper or other metals, and PE insulation....hasn't changed in decades. Just how many wires in one cable, size, etc. change.

That's cool. I just bought a 20" Toshiba HD Monitor (with built-in DVD player) at Costco yesterday, and I needed a DVI-to-HDMI cable to hook it up to my HD cable box. $10 shipped for a 10' cable is pretty damn sweet.
Old 10-05-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I needed a 25' cable and got it for $34 from them, plus shipping. I was VERY happy. Esp when I discovered that I had ordered the wrong item. They took it back and shipped the correct one right away. Cost me extra shipping since it was my screwup, but good service nontheless.