Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help with buying a plasma TV

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-05, 10:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to buy a plasma TV but am an idiot when it comes to the specs, technical terms and other details about what makes one TV better than another. Anyone currently own a plasma who can give me tips/advice? Thanks.
Old 08-29-05, 02:13 AM
Suspended

What is your budget?
Old 08-29-05, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Given that you say you don't know much about them why are you looking at them? For an HDTV plasmas are the most expensive. They're also are prone to burn in or uneven phosphor wear like CRTs. Until you gain enough understanding perhaps you should broaden your research to include LCD and DLP as well as some LCoS. Find out the pros and cons for each and here's a little hint; they all have some cons it's just a matter of deciding which ones are not important to your needs and deciding which pros are.
Old 08-29-05, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
The ED Panisonic Plasma is an awesome value. Many folks are staying away because it is "only" ED. But many report the actual PQ to be better then many and especially the cheapy HD's.
Old 08-29-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^I have a 37" Panasonic ED plasma, bought it for about 2000, and it was worth every penny.

Figure out whether you want Enhanced Definition(ED) or High Definition(HD). Enhanced Definition plays the current HD technology just as well as HDTV's. Also, many believe that ED does a better job with older material like DVD and non-hd cable. Although HD is technically better and other do see the difference. It also might give you peace of mind knowing you're television can handle the brand new technology for a few more years.

The room is also a huge factor in the tv that you should buy. If the couch or viewing area is going to be a longer distance away... ED and HD are typically indistinguishable.

Also important: make sure you have the right connections in the back. You're going to want at least two components plus either an HDMI or a DVI for the future of HD and Blu-ray and all that crap. And of course whatever you already need to fit your current appliances.

Read through AVS's Plasma forum. Research some models, narrow down your decision... figure out what's best for you.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40
Old 08-29-05, 09:46 AM
Banned

Make sure you find one that is full widescreen resolution. Some like to just stretch out the 4:3 resolution to 16:9.
Old 08-29-05, 09:50 AM

One great source for info on HDTV's is AVS Forum. You'll get alot of user opinions on DLP, LCD, Plasma. I would recommend that you be as educated as possible before you go looking at sets.

As far as plasma goes, from what I've see and read, Panasonic and Pioneer seem to have the best looking sets. Panasonic just reduced their MSRP on their plasma sets. 42" at $2999.99 and 50" at $3,999.99. It looks like Pioneer is going to follow with price reductions (currenly, Pioneer's 50" is on sale at Best Buy for $4.499.99). Check out prices at Best Buy.

I'm probably going to buy a 50" plasma sometime in January 2006.

50" DLP's sell for around $2,500. Samsung makes nice sets.
Old 08-29-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MasterCXtreme
Figure out whether you want Enhanced Definition(ED) or High Definition(HD). Enhanced Definition plays the current HD technology just as well as HDTV's. Also, many believe that ED does a better job with older material like DVD and non-hd cable. Although HD is technically better and other [i
do[/i] see the difference. It also might give you peace of mind knowing you're television can handle the brand new technology for a few more years.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40
Yea, IMHO absolute resolution is just one factor in overall PQ. I agree, all things being equal a "true" HD would give a better picture then "only" ED. However, things are not only rarely equal, I could argue NEVER equal.

As you mention, source, ambient light, black levels, contrast ratio's, etc. all play a factor. And when it comes right down to it, HD is really just a name isn't it?

A great example is my X-1 that I show on a 94" WS. It is not HD, not even close! But I recently picked up a OTA HD receiver. It is incredible. I have decided it is every bit as good as my DVD player and on some channels/shows maybe better! Now part of that may be more a comment on my DVD player, but if I like the image, am happy with, what is wrong with it? Just because I can't claim it to be "true" HD I can't enjoy it as much? Of course I realize if I got a true HD PJ, it would be better still but there is always "something better". And I could make the arguement that perhaps a better screen or better ambient light control would do more to improve the image then going to a true HD PJ.
Old 08-29-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh and in case I forget...TV's are for whimps, get a projector!!!
Old 08-29-05, 12:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
The ED Panisonic Plasma is an awesome value. Many folks are staying away because it is "only" ED. But many report the actual PQ to be better then many and especially the cheapy HD's.
I was looking at a couple cheapo Panasonic EDTVs, but I don't necessarily know if they're what I want to go with. Their prices are reasonable, but I am willing to go higher. I'm not buying them from this site, but this is what I'm looking at:

http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.a...=862799&catky=

http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.a...=381405&catky=

Maybe my big hang-up is ED vs. HD. But LCD is out of the question.
Old 08-29-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Legolas
I was looking at a couple cheapo Panasonic EDTVs, but I don't necessarily know if they're what I want to go with. Their prices are reasonable, but I am willing to go higher. I'm not buying them from this site, but this is what I'm looking at:

http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.a...=862799&catky=

http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.a...=381405&catky=

Maybe my big hang-up is ED vs. HD. But LCD is out of the question.
In all honesty I have not kept up with the model numbers. I was looking briefly in early '04 and really liked a particular Panasonic ED Plasma, but decided to build a HT Room instead. So right now in our living room just using a JVC 32" "regular" TV. Probably wait one more year before replacing it.

As someone mentioned, go over to AVS and check it out. They have a ton of information, but if you look you will start to find what you need. Just use the search feature a lot before asking basic questions, they can get a little testy (don't let that scare you off, they have a ton of information and overall very friendly - just search and look for the FAQ stickies).
Old 08-29-05, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chipmac
Given that you say you don't know much about them why are you looking at them?
So because I don't know specs, I should go buy a GE television from KMart instead?
Old 08-29-05, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So because I don't know specs, I should go buy a GE television from KMart instead?
I think what he is asking is why you have settled on Plasma? Different technologies do different things better. You mentioned before that LCD was out. Why? How you plan to use your TV is generally the deciding factor on which of the tecknology to go with. There is no one technology that is best for all uses. For example, if you said I want the best quality picture I can get regardless of everything else, most would recomment a CRT Rear Projection TV that was calibrated by a professional. But some don't like the space these take up.

Do you have space limitations, is that why you want Plasma?
Are you going to use this in a dedicated Home Theater room or living room?
What kind of light control will you have in the room?
Do you plan on playing games on it?
What are your sources going to be? Mainly TV? Mainly DVD? Dish/Cable/OTA?
Do you want the cool factor of a flat panel? (This is not an insult, there is nothing wrong that).
Old 08-30-05, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yup what he said. I didn't mean to imply you should look at junk in a store where none of the sales people know a thing about HT.

In your original post you say "I'm looking to buy a plasma TV but am an idiot when it comes to the specs, technical terms and other details about what makes one TV better than another." So you're admitting you don't know a thing about them, maybe you're in over your head and you're asking advice. But if you don't know a thing about them why settle on one of the highest priced display technologies that can be ruined in a few months from burn in without proper care without even considering the others? If you have looked at the others why did you settle on plasma? Given your admitted lack of knowledge perhaps you've made the wrong choice. If space is an issue LCDs do come in flat panel as well as RPTV versions.

If you give us a better understanding of what your needs are we can help you better.
Old 08-30-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Oh and in case I forget...TV's are for people who cant afford a $400 projector bulb once a year, get a projector!!!
Fixed.
Old 08-30-05, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by uli2000
Fixed.
Yup...I agree...if you watch TV 12 hours per day don't get a projector.

GET A LIFE.....
Old 09-04-05, 09:22 AM

I have the 37" Panasonic HDTV and it's awesome. Only probably is my inlaws are staying with us for a few weeks while their new house is being built and my father inlaw hogs the tv.
Old 09-07-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by travlr
I have the 37" Panasonic HDTV and it's awesome. Only probably is my inlaws are staying with us for a few weeks while their new house is being built and my father inlaw hogs the tv.

Do what I did. My FIL was plopped down watching some stupid History Channel shit when the game was on. I sat down next to him, and with the same motion, took the remote off the sofa, changed the channel and said "Mind if I watch some TV with you?". He looked at me, I smiled and watched the game. Learn about tanks on your own time, bitch.
Old 09-07-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm, ownership is a state of mind?
Old 09-09-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm looking to buy a plasma TV but am an idiot when it comes to the specs, technical terms and other details about what makes one TV better than another. Anyone currently own a plasma who can give me tips/advice? Thanks.
IMO it really depends on what you watch and the room you will watch it in.

Me I'm 70%-TV 30%-DVD (I like to think I watch way more DVD but it just isn't the case)

My HD Plasma makes mediocre DVDs looking fairly horrid.
It does however look astonishing with HD TV broadcast.

I can't say I've found the answer for the best format for avid DVD watchers.