Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Upgrading from an antique to a budget video projector?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I have an old battleship video projector, a Kodak LC-500. I bought it used 2 years ago on eBay and it has served me well. (mostly movies in the backyard) But I'm looking to upgrade to something newer and maybe a bit brighter. I don't use it enough to justify spending $800+ nor am I inclined to press my luck and spend a few $100's on a used projector on eBay with the potential of dishing out $300-$500 for a new bulb (or a unit with picture quality problems).

The thing I really like about the Kodak is that it has manual controls for color, brightness, contrast, and volume. Replacement bulbs are only $7. I've used it for about a dozen films and still on the original bulb.

Although it suffers from the "screen door" effect, it isn't enough to be distracting.

I've got my eye on this projector:
http://www.firstsing.com/products/PC/PC0264.htm

Unfortunately I can't find any specs for the Kodak LC-500 so that it is a bit difficult to compare the Kodak to this projector. But for some reason 150 Lumens comes to mind (as the brightness of the Kodak).

Does anyone have specs for the Kodak LC-500 or have any first hand experience with this "game projector"?
Old 07-22-05, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could always try building your own:

www.lumenlab.com

www.diyprojectorcompany.org
Old 07-22-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D_N_G
You could always try building your own:

www.lumenlab.com

www.diyprojectorcompany.org
Thanks, but no thanks. Those projects cost way too much and the result is some MacGiverish kludge.
Old 07-23-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another option is to watch woot.com daily. It seems like at least once a month they have an inFocus 480x (Maybe 4800) for $499. They run deals on other ones too, but that one seems to be the cheapest.
Old 07-26-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After scouring the 'net and not really finding any substantive reviews of the projector, I decided to buy one anyways... $210 for a brand new projector w/remote and spare bulb. As soon as I receive it and have a chance to try it out, I'll post a review.

But I'm not expecting much.

Last edited by sracer; 07-27-05 at 05:10 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
Old 07-27-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As long as you don't mind the low resolution. It's certainly priced right.
Old 07-27-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiky
As long as you don't mind the low resolution. It's certainly priced right.
That's my thoughts exactly. My Kodak LC-500 is probably about 150 Lumens and with a low resolution that causes the "screen door" effect. So if this is just a bit brighter then I'll be happy with it...

The funny thing is that i can afford to drop $2K-$3K on a higher quality projector (and I may do that sometime in the future), but the Kodak serves my current needs. My less-affluent friends are quite happy with the quality of that Kodak and would gladly pay the money ($100 for the Kodak, or $200 for a new HX-1111) So I guess I'm doing "product evaluation" for them.
Old 07-28-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get them to get these VHS PJs, then go get yourself an HD one. The balance of power will remain.
Old 08-05-05, 05:20 PM

Kodak LC 500 Video Projector

Someone in our church just received a donation of the Kodak LC 500 Video Projector. We also see this "screen-door" effect. We don't have a manual. So, 1) are you sure the screen effect is just the result of low lumen bulb?, 2) did you ever look into upgrading the bulb? and 3) did you ever find a manual that might indicate how to resolve the screen effect? We would like to use this for some church-related events.

Thanks,

Cornucopia
Old 08-07-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cornucopia
Someone in our church just received a donation of the Kodak LC 500 Video Projector. We also see this "screen-door" effect. We don't have a manual. So, 1) are you sure the screen effect is just the result of low lumen bulb?, 2) did you ever look into upgrading the bulb? and 3) did you ever find a manual that might indicate how to resolve the screen effect? We would like to use this for some church-related events.

Thanks,

Cornucopia
The "screen-door" effect is simply due to a limitation in the LCD panel used inside. (keep in mind that this projector is approximately 20 years old) The density of the pixels is far less than that of new projectors. There is no "fix" for it. Just like there is no "fix" to make a B/W TV display in color.

Depending upon how you are going to use that projector, it will be fine. I wouldn't use it for IMAG for service (eg. lyrics, scripture verses, announcements, etc.) But it works fine for secondary ministry events like movies, children's ministry, classes, etc.

I use mine for our backyard Drive-in church events that we hold at our house, and as an emergency projector for our movie nights when "emergencies" arise and the projector in our ministry room has been "borrowed".
Old 08-08-05, 09:59 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by sracer
After scouring the 'net and not really finding any substantive reviews of the projector, I decided to buy one anyways... $210 for a brand new projector w/remote and spare bulb. As soon as I receive it and have a chance to try it out, I'll post a review.

But I'm not expecting much.

Was it the HX-7111 that you bought? If so, what do you think of it?
Old 08-08-05, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dead
Yeah, I'm quite curious. It's cheap enough where it might be fun to have (knowing full well that its not near the quality of even the lower end LCD projectors.)
Old 08-09-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dead
Yes, that's the one... though it goes by 5 or 6 different names.

I haven't had a chance to run it through its paces, but I'll set aside some time tonight and do it and I'll post a review (in a new thread).
Old 08-12-05, 01:20 AM

Hx 7111

I'm highly curious about this projector, please update this thread with the link to your new thread whenever you get it up!!!
Old 08-13-05, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, I just posted a review here -> Mega Pro HX-7111 Projector review