Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help with down-mix problem

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help with down-mix problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-05, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help with down-mix problem PLEASE!

I have a panasonic 5 disc DVD player (about 2 years old) with Dolby Digital and DTS decoder. It is connected via optical cable to a Kenwood home theater amplifier/receiver which also has both Dolby Digital and DTS decoders. This setup worked fine with both DTS and Dolby Digital playback until recently when I noticed the down-mix indicators on both the Amp and the DVD player being on and no sound coming through center or rear channels. I have gone through the settings on both the amp and the dvd player and everything seems to be set up correctly. When I test the center and rear channels using the amplifier tests, they work OK.
Is there something I don't know here or is there something wrong with my dvd player or amp?
thanks

Last edited by boulderoo; 07-08-05 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-08-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I'll hazard a guess that if the tones on the receiver test ok then the problem is either in the dvd player or in the cables used to connect the dvd player. Might want to try reverifying the settings as it sounds like something is set to 2 channel audio.
Old 07-08-05, 05:05 PM

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. I think it's probably the DVD player rather than the cable since I would think with the optical connection I would get all or nothing most likely. It's kind of a lower-end player so I wouldn't be surprised if it has crapped out in some way after 2 years, but I'll give the settings another whirl. A friend mentioned some way to possibly "re-set" the DVD player also - anybody know anything about that?
thanks
Old 07-10-05, 12:02 PM

Figured it out: After resetting/reinitializing the reciever/amplifier, it started working again. Weird.