Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Why doesn't the Arcam AVR300 have DVI or HDMI in/outs?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-05, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very interested in upgrading my receiver to an Arcam, but noticed there are no DVI or HDMI inputs or outputs. I have a DLP HDTV and think that DVI would be a better input than component. Anyone know why they excluded this or if they have any plans on including it in future models?
Old 06-30-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Because it's 2 years old or so.
Old 06-30-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
I am very interested in upgrading my receiver to an Arcam, but noticed there are no DVI or HDMI inputs or outputs. I have a DLP HDTV and think that DVI would be a better input than component. Anyone know why they excluded this or if they have any plans on including it in future models?
Why on earth would you hook your DVI into your receiver? Put it directly into the TV. Problem solved.
Old 06-30-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Why on earth would you hook your DVI into your receiver? Put it directly into the TV. Problem solved.
Because I have 3 components that use DVI outputs and the TV only has one DVI and one HDMI input?
Old 07-01-05, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Because I have 3 components that use DVI outputs and the TV only has one DVI and one HDMI input?
There are receivers that have DVI switching (Marantz for one), but they are hella expensive.

It's strange to ask why a specific receiver doesn't have certain features. But as Spiky said, it's an older receiver and DVI switching is relatively new. You could get an external DVI switcher, if you like.
Old 07-01-05, 06:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a theory. It goes something like this:

The manufacturers do not understand digital. The ones that do are terrified by it. A $200 DVD player is beating the #$^# out of much more expensive models because of the DVI interface. That can't bode well for the high end guys. Audio is going to complete the jump to digital one day, all that will be left are the high-end speaker guys.
Old 07-02-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, it has NOTHING to do with the DVI interface. That's just wires. It's the processing inside that is excellent.

The Outlaw preamp has 2 DVI inputs for $1100.
Old 03-11-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(Sorry to dredge up this old thread but my "Outlaw" search pulled it up.)

The new Outlaw 1070 receiver is out now ( http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/1070.html ), $899. It has DVI switching, something that I assume has become more common in HT receivers in recent months.

Am I correct in assuming that this, and other current receivers, won't be able to decode the new lossless audio formats from HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc? Does anyone know how current generation HT receivers WILL handle audio from the new HD formats?
Old 03-11-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Several sub $1000 Yamaha's now do it as well as a few $1000 range Denon's.
Old 03-11-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
My guess is that for several years the "standard" has been a moving target. Why should manufacturers commit to one type or spend the money to put all types in?
Old 03-11-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Receivers right now will have to have 7.1 analog inputs to handle the BD/HD-DVD new audio formats. They will not be able to decode them. Perhaps upgradeable models will be able to with new firmware, but too soon to tell.

Outlaw really was silly putting DVI in these. They don't do enough products to have put an interim product in their preamp/receiver last year. Should've jumped straight to HDMI and made it firmware upgradeable since they were worried about the changing HDMI spec. I know I brought them up above, but after careful thought, I never would get either of these products. Others may differ in opinion. I'd definitely consider the next Outlaw, whenever that may be.

Last edited by Spiky; 03-11-06 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-11-06, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spiky,

Have you heard anything new on how the next-gen audio formats will be carried via hdmi? My understanding is that the DVD players will do the decoding and send it in one of two ways: either by the 7.1 analog outputs or via PCM over hdmi. As I understand it, having pre/pros or receivers doing the actual decoding is still a ways away.

I wonder if we will see any dual-hdmi dvd players, for those users who want to keep their video and audio procession separate?