Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about getting a center rear speaker...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to add a center rear channel to my HT but I don't have room for one that would match my other rears. The rear seating is a couch backed right up to the wall with L/R rears on stands to each side.

My setup is as follows:

Paradigm Reference Studio Speakers:
Center CC450, L/R 60's, Rear 20's, Sub PW2200

Is there a reasonably priced wall mount that would be a close enough audio match to serve as an option? I also play music using the 5 CH optiuon on my Denon AVR-3805 if that factors in.
Old 05-29-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not another center channel from that lineup? CC450 or whatever. You would just have to find a mounting method to aim it down at you.

I haven't played with it much, but I'm not sure you would get much benefit from a rear center if you are already against the wall.
Old 05-30-05, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
Why not another center channel from that lineup? CC450 or whatever. You would just have to find a mounting method to aim it down at you.

I haven't played with it much, but I'm not sure you would get much benefit from a rear center if you are already against the wall.
I agree with Spiky, if you don't have any space between the wall and you, you are messing with the sonic balance. Also, I advise against using a center speaker as a surround, they just aren't voiced for that.
Old 05-31-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mounting Rear Speaker

Hey all,

Ok, the way that my theater is setup leaves about half the room behind me. Now, I want to add a center-rear speaker for 6.1. As of now, the ideal place to mount the speaker would be behind me, on the ceiling pointing down. I would rather not have that in the middle of the room. My other option is to mount them on the back wall, about 15 feet behind the theater seating. If that was the case, i would have to make sure that I make up for the distance by turning the rear-center speaker up in the receiver settings... Has anyone done it this way, do you think it would work? I actually have two rear-centers that I would like to use, as that's the preferred method of producing a realistic 6.1 surround field.

Any other alternatives? I want to avoid putting the speakers on a stand behind the seats...

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited by KillerQ; 05-31-05 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-31-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, thanks guys. It looks like I'll leave my system at 5.1 since I don't have any other options to move things around in the room.
Old 06-02-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Also, I advise against using a center speaker as a surround, they just aren't voiced for that.

If you mean that a good, sonically matched center channel would be sonically inferior to the rears, I disagree.

A center speaker, ideally, should be a sonic match with the front left and rights.

Rear speakers (unless we're talking about multichannel music) are usually of lesser sonic quality (reduced base response, more midrange oriented).

Therefore, any speaker which is at least sonically equal to your rears would do fine. And a matching center channel used for the center rear would do just fine. Also, as far as Dolby Digital goes, the rear center is a matrix derived from the left and right rears, and not a discrete channel.
Old 06-02-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselsDen
If you mean that a good, sonically matched center channel would be sonically inferior to the rears, I disagree.

A center speaker, ideally, should be a sonic match with the front left and rights.

Rear speakers (unless we're talking about multichannel music) are usually of lesser sonic quality (reduced base response, more midrange oriented).

Therefore, any speaker which is at least sonically equal to your rears would do fine. And a matching center channel used for the center rear would do just fine. Also, as far as Dolby Digital goes, the rear center is a matrix derived from the left and right rears, and not a discrete channel.
Well, I wasn't saying any of that, so I guess none of it applies to me