Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Onkyo 770 Speaker Problem...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys,

Just got this HTiB and hooked it up. All speakers work except the front left and the surround left. Both have no sound. I tried adjusting the sound using the little tone that comes out of the speakers. On the front left, I hear a muffled tone/noise. Oddly enough, when I click over to the surround left, NO sound comes out of that speaker, and instead, the surround left sound STILL comes out of the front left. And it's STILL muffled.

I don't have the connections wrong, so I don't understand what this could be. Anyone experience this? Any ideas on what I can try to remedy the situation? Thanks!
Old 05-18-05, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you got a defective receiver, especially if your talking about 2 seperate speakers. Try hooking up the right speaker to the left speaker output on the receiver and see if there is sound coming out. Then you'll know if it's the speaker or the receiver.

Good luck - I have a Oknyo Receiver and love it.
Old 05-18-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yep, just tried your idea. I moved the left speaker to the right and used the right speaker wire. Works fine. Now, the right speaker which was working fine is having the same problems using the left speaker wire. So, I am not sure if it's the wire or the receiver.

I can hear sound very faintly on the left, but it's just so overtaken by static noise.
Old 05-19-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Yep, just tried your idea. I moved the left speaker to the right and used the right speaker wire. Works fine. Now, the right speaker which was working fine is having the same problems using the left speaker wire. So, I am not sure if it's the wire or the receiver.

I can hear sound very faintly on the left, but it's just so overtaken by static noise.
You should give it another try with some new wire, but after that, it sounds like a blow amp to that speaker.
Old 05-19-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK, thanks. I'm going to head to Radio Shack sometime today. What kind of speaker wire should I be looking for?
Old 05-19-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, thanks. I'm going to head to Radio Shack sometime today. What kind of speaker wire should I be looking for?
Are you looking to upgrade your wiring completely? then go to Home Depot and get the bulk 12 gauge wire, cheapest around. But you are just testing, so just get the cheapest they've got. But why are you buying anything? Just use one of the other wires. It's a test.
Old 05-19-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Went to the store and exchanged the receiver. Works now.
Old 05-20-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Went to the store and exchanged the receiver. Works now.
GOod news, it did sound to me like a defective amp to that channel.
Old 05-20-05, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I exchanged it and got a new receiver. Speakers work fine now. But, now I have a new problem.

When watching films, especially movies that have a lot of action that takes advantage of the 5.1, the receiver just shuts off.

The funny thing is that I'm NOT playing the movie loud. It has shut off at volume levels at 35, 33, and even lower at like 29 and 28. What could be the problem? I tried disconnecting all the wires and reconnecting, but had the same issue.

Is it a setup issue regarding the speaker sound level or subwoofer? Is it that you have to play movies very low to prevent automatic shutoff? Is there some option I need to toggle on or off--maybe a mode that actually purposefully turns my receiver off even when I don't want it to? Could it be something else?

Thanks.
Old 05-21-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
When watching films, especially movies that have a lot of action that takes advantage of the 5.1, the receiver just shuts off.

The funny thing is that I'm NOT playing the movie loud. It has shut off at volume levels at 35, 33, and even lower at like 29 and 28. What could be the problem? I tried disconnecting all the wires and reconnecting, but had the same issue.
What new receiver did you get?

The numbers on a volume control are meaningless, ignore them.

If the receiver is shutting off it could be several things, heat, loose connections or some speaker cable touching and shorting.

I would make sure you have adequate ventilation, check all the connections and then check the speaker cables to be sure the ends are clean and tight.

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 05-21-05 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-21-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well...I noticed that my surround left speaker's wire (blue one) is literally exposed, and there is copper wire (not a lot, but a decent amount) coming out at a split on the wire.

I took out the blue wire, hooked up the rest of the five speakers and then turned the sound up. It worked. I tried playing too different movie scenes in the volume ranges of the mid to high 30's.

Do you think this could've been the problem?
Old 05-21-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Well...I noticed that my surround left speaker's wire (blue one) is literally exposed, and there is copper wire (not a lot, but a decent amount) coming out at a split on the wire.

I took out the blue wire, hooked up the rest of the five speakers and then turned the sound up. It worked. I tried playing too different movie scenes in the volume ranges of the mid to high 30's.

Do you think this could've been the problem?
Yes it could have been, if one strand of copper touches the opposite terminal it will short the receiver. This usually happens when something is loud because of the vibrations.