Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How limiting is DVI with new purchases?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

How limiting is DVI with new purchases?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-05, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW it's still priced at $2K and it says that it's a clearance price? This TV is regularly priced at $2K, if you guy's really want to get the best deal on this TV i would just wait until the beginning of August when they really are gonna be cleared out to make room for the new models.
Old 04-29-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Even though it is marked for clearance,it is still priced at $2,000.

And it has another tag on it that says the price was ~$2250 2 months ago,which i think is bullshit since i don't remember ever seeing it priced that high,and it has been on sale for around $1899 as long as i can remember.
Are you sure they aren't just referencing a floor unit?
Old 04-29-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
Are you sure they aren't just referencing a floor unit?
I'm pretty sure since they usually use "Open Box item" tags for those i think,but i am going to ask an employee about it next time i am there (and hopefully they give me a straight answer).
Old 04-29-05, 01:28 PM

I would be a little weary of a televison that has only a DVI connection. I have a set that has only DVI and it is very difficult to find a receiver that can do DVI switching or a DVD player that has DVI outputs (there are a few though). More common are HDMI outputs on DVD players and HDMI inputs and outputs on receivers (though this is a fairly new feature). When Hi-def dvd players come on the market, I highly doubt that they include a DVI output.

Good luck.
Old 04-29-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
Oh, I get it. Like I said, that is an individual problem for a particular machine that screwed up one of the outputs. It is not because of limitations of the DVI interface, rather an issue with that model. Here's a quote from the Samsung version on the same page:
Not quite. Anyhow, there's lots of literature on the internet about this so I'm not going to beat a dead horse.

People definitely need to check out these kinds of specifics before they buy anything if they are interested in the best possible picture.
Or they could just get a TV with HDMI and forgo all the headaches.