Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is Voom Out-of-business?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Is Voom Out-of-business?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-05, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
With Voom being gone, I think the one to look to now will be DirecTV.
Most of the rumors I've read have indicated that a majority of the HD channels that DirectTV will be offering are locals. Since I already get them OTA, that doesn't matter much to me. I'm not saying I'm writing of DirectTV all together, but I'm not counting on any new HD that will appeal to me...
Old 04-15-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 192 Posts
Ok,i realize that E* = Echostar,but wtf is D*?
Old 04-16-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

D* = DirecTV....sorry for the shorthand, it's a fairly standard forum abbreviation.

D* is doing these new sats with the intent of offering hundreds of local HD channel, yes. But I think the reason nobody is talking about other future HD channels is because they haven't dreamed them up, yet. Voom was the only one with unique channels, perhaps somebody will cut another deal to get Voom's channels, too.
Old 04-16-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
D* = DirecTV....sorry for the shorthand, it's a fairly standard forum abbreviation.

D* is doing these new sats with the intent of offering hundreds of local HD channel, yes. But I think the reason nobody is talking about other future HD channels is because they haven't dreamed them up, yet. Voom was the only one with unique channels, perhaps somebody will cut another deal to get Voom's channels, too.
the first birds will be strictly dedicated to HD locals. Once that massive rollout is taken care of, then we'll start seeing all the new HD channels. Don't expect to see much new for the next year or so on D*.
Old 04-17-05, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

True. The last new bird isn't even supposed to be up for 2 years, I think.
Old 04-17-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have (had?) voom. When they shut it down, I'll just live without TV for a while. Looking at the cost to get HD from D*, it just isn't worth it. I don't want to buy a receiver, nor pay $250 for the right to lease one.

Comcast isn't *that* bad, I'll probably go with them once my DSL contract runs out (6 more months) so I can switch to a cable modem.
Old 04-18-05, 03:47 AM

If DirecTV doesn't have local channels in HD, then I'll either have to go with Dish or Comcast, until those "birds" are flying over my roof! Question: Does Dish have local channels in HD, or will they also have to deploy a flock of "birds" into the stratosphere?
Old 04-18-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Only cable would have locals in HD right now, but you have to check in your area. It isn't guaranteed to be available. As Shelland's example shows, he moved a few miles out of town and lost availability.

I will never understand why $300 up front is too much, but overpaying by $20/month for years is ok to some people. To each their own.

Everyone needs to remember that buying an HDTV right now still essentially makes you an "early adopter". Welcome to the cost of being early. I just ordered my TV today. Finally. Now I have to figure out what to do for an HD tuner myself.
Old 04-18-05, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
I will never understand why $300 up front is too much, but overpaying by $20/month for years is ok to some people. To each their own.
I don't think $300 is 'too much' by any means. But it's a matter of

1. how much disposable income I have right now (just added a second car payment after over a year with only one )
2. whether I'd rather pay:
a. $300 to get an HD receiver with DirectTV plus around $100 for each Tivo receiver
b. $0 to get an HD receiver with Dish and up to 3 DVRs
c. $250 to get an HD-DVR (that also will server as an SD receiver to a second room) with Dish along with 2 more DVRs (or a single 2 room DVR) for free

There's not right or wrong answer, just a matter of priority for each individual situation. Obvioulsy the $0 for Dish is attractive. The ability to get NFL games in HD with Sunday Ticket is attractive. And an inexpensive HD-DVR is attractive too.

So, in my case, I'm looking at $400-$500 for DirectTV vs $0 or $250 for Dish. Just have to decide what is most important...
Old 04-29-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by shelland
I don't think $300 is 'too much' by any means. But it's a matter of

1. how much disposable income I have right now (just added a second car payment after over a year with only one )
2. whether I'd rather pay:
a. $300 to get an HD receiver with DirectTV plus around $100 for each Tivo receiver
b. $0 to get an HD receiver with Dish and up to 3 DVRs
c. $250 to get an HD-DVR (that also will server as an SD receiver to a second room) with Dish along with 2 more DVRs (or a single 2 room DVR) for free

There's not right or wrong answer, just a matter of priority for each individual situation. Obvioulsy the $0 for Dish is attractive. The ability to get NFL games in HD with Sunday Ticket is attractive. And an inexpensive HD-DVR is attractive too.

So, in my case, I'm looking at $400-$500 for DirectTV vs $0 or $250 for Dish. Just have to decide what is most important...
I'm poring over my options, none of which are attractive. Voom was just leaps and bounds over everyone else and easy on the wallet as well. I'm thinking 'C', but coming up with the $250 is the problem. A couple of other factors(at least for me) are:

1.) For me the TV season is ending. I am in no hurry until the fall season starts. I could easily save a few hundred bucks waiting the summer months out.
2.) Will users with abandoned Voom equipment still be able to get locals OTA?
3.) Locals are pretty much the only thing I watch in HD. Some of Vooms stuff on occasion, but 95% of the time for locals. I tried an OTA receiver, but never could get a decent signal on my own, before Voom. If neither D* or DishNetwork offer locals in HD, it is a moot point.

This may help some people make up their minds:

DISH Network Expands High-Definition Package with Addition of VOOM
Programming
Friday April 29, 8:07 am ET
Lineup Will Include 10 Original VOOM HD Channels

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 29, 2005--EchoStar Communications
Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH - News) announced that its DISH Network(TM)
satellite TV service will expand its high-definition television (HDTV)
package by adding 10 original VOOM HD networks, expected to be available
May 1, 2005. With the addition of these originals to its current slate of
HD programming, DISH Network further establishes itself as the leader in
high-definition TV.
The 10 VOOM HD networks will include RUSH HD, Gallery HD, Rave HD, Ultra
HD, Equator HD, Monsters HD, Animania HD, Majestic HD, HD News and Guy TV
HD. These networks will give viewers a high-def experience in such
entertainment categories as science fiction, fashion, travel, music
concerts and more.

"The addition of these original channels makes the DISH Network high
definition package the best in the pay-TV industry," said Eric Sahl, vice
president of programming for EchoStar. "With programming offering the
finest clarity and resolution, customers enjoy a better TV watching
experience."

Customers can sign a one-year agreement and receive six free months of HD
programming with high-definition receivers in up to two rooms at no
charge. For a limited time, those who sign up can also receive more than
180 standard definition channels for only $19.99 a month for the first
three months, plus a free DVR upgrade, with next-day installation.

For more information on DISH Network, visit www.dishnetwork.com , call
1-800-333-DISH (3474), or contact your local DISH Network retailer. For
downloadable, print quality images of DISH Network equipment,
installations or the DISH Network logo, visit
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/a...nt/index.shtml .
Old 04-29-05, 06:15 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is great news for us Dish HD guys. Great news...
Old 04-29-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Some of them are worth it. Rush and Rave are great. (extreme sports, and concerts, respectively). The movie channels repeat a lot. Kinda cool to have an all Western channel and a Monster/Horror channel.
Old 04-30-05, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hah! My prophecy comes true. Figured Dish wouldn't let those channels go to waste. And Charlie doesn't like creation. He's like Bill Gates: don't make what you can buy.

A coworker and I both just got our first HDTVs. Actually, mine arrives in 2 days. We both have D*, have DTivos, and were looking at HD options. But we both had the same reasoning, more or less:

The TV season is almost over until fall, and there really isn't that much HD other than broadcast networks prime time. The MPEG4 mess will hit soon. We can't justify the $800 or so for HDTivo with its inability to do MPEG4, even though we both desperately want it. Football will be a big HD draw for us, but there's time. Spending $300 for an OTA-only tuner isn't worth it. The only remaining easy-to-get D* HD tuner has HDMI problems.

So we both decided to wait and see what happens this summer.
Old 04-30-05, 08:43 AM

There are rumors from a suposedly good source at dbsforums that D* will have some big HD news in June. He anticipates this might include the Voom channels plus more. This guy is reportedly a very good source...
Old 05-01-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish I had the Monster/Horror channel. I doubt if Insight cable will offer it but I did sign a petition to get them to carry it.
Old 05-02-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, two days after service was shut off, I'm still picking up locals in HD off the Voom equipment.

Hopefully they abandon the equipment. I'll be happy with just locals in HD for a while.
Old 05-02-05, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Well, two days after service was shut off, I'm still picking up locals in HD off the Voom equipment.
Me too! But my DirecTV equipment arrived today, so I'll get that installed in the next few days. I only need my "Voom" OTA to last until then...