Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

X-1 help! Quickly if possibly.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts

About two weeks ago I get everything wired on my X-1, Dishnetwork receiver and Toshiba SD-H400 Tivo/DVD player. Was outputting thru the components on the Toshiba and eveything seemed to be working fine.

We we went on vacation for a week and I had to go work out of town for a week. I came home late last night for a day off and found I got no image at all! I switched to just a RCA Video out to video in on the X-1 and everything works fine.

I went and bought a cheap ($70.00) Progressive Scan DVD player as we needed one for another room anyway, and I can't get that to show on the X-1 thru components either. Again, using just RCA video out is fine.

I can't seem to troubleshoot to figure out the problem. I have switched the X-1 to computer and also tried setting it to auto find. I ran thru the memu on the Toshiba and everything appears set ok. I ran thru the menu on the new Panasonic DVD player and believe I got it set to progressive scan so it should show thru the X-1 on components.

Now I'm not actually using components but just RCA, but that shouldn't make any difference should it? It didn't two weeks ago. The Tivo player in the Toshiba upgraded while I was gone to the latest software, but again it works fine on the RCA video out but I can get nothing thru components. DVD won't work on components either.

Am I missing something obvious? I guess I'm going to have to try the new DVD player on my regular TV to verify it will output thru component. I've tried turning off the X-1 and turning back on, and that didn't help. Grrrrr...I really wanted to spend today building the screen, not troubleshooting the picture.
Old 04-15-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Check to see if you need to set the TIVo/DVD player to component output.

My Philips requires both setting it to an output of YPbPr and progressive, as not to confuse it into thinking that it is using the SVHS output.

Another possibility may be a problem with the Component adaptor plug for the X-1. Make sure that it is securely connected to the projector.
Old 04-16-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheAllPurposeNothing
Check to see if you need to set the TIVo/DVD player to component output.

My Philips requires both setting it to an output of YPbPr and progressive, as not to confuse it into thinking that it is using the SVHS output.

Another possibility may be a problem with the Component adaptor plug for the X-1. Make sure that it is securely connected to the projector.
Thanks, I have been working out of town, so I not had time to play with it. In reading over at AVS and other forums is it possible my Toshiba does not output properly for the X-1? No that doesn't explain why I had it working and now it doesn't, but evident thru the component adapter, the X-1 can only recognize certain signals and I don't know what my Toshiba is throwing at it.

I have also ordered the S-video component adapter from In Focus. Some are saying this may give me a better picture anyway. Why? Evidently if I use the VGA/component adapter is bypasses the very nice chip in the X-1 and thus relies on the DVD players chip. Which if high end, might be fine. But if a cheap player, then the X-1 chip (which means going thru the s-video input) is generally better. Since my DVD player is a combo Tivo/DVD player that my dad picked up for for like $100, I think it is safe to assume my unit falls in the "cheap" catagory.
Old 04-20-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I can't help you with what is wrong with the projector, but i can say that i've tried both the component and s-video and its not even close. Component is just so much better. I never even use anything but component (my reciever upconverts s-video and composite to component)

I was going to say the same thing Purpose said about making sure that on the back of the DVD player, and in the menu, that its set to progressive. I've had at least a half dozen of my friends calling me asking why they didn't get a picture, only to find out that little switch in the back wasn't set to progressive.
Old 04-21-05, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Joeboo835
I can't help you with what is wrong with the projector, but i can say that i've tried both the component and s-video and its not even close. Component is just so much better. I never even use anything but component (my reciever upconverts s-video and composite to component)

I was going to say the same thing Purpose said about making sure that on the back of the DVD player, and in the menu, that its set to progressive. I've had at least a half dozen of my friends calling me asking why they didn't get a picture, only to find out that little switch in the back wasn't set to progressive.
Thanks for the input, I've been working out of town but head home on Sunday so hopefully will figure it out at home.

I'm curious, have you tried component vs. s-video on the X-1? The reason I'm asking is again, evidently there is an excellent chip in the X-1 that does not work thru component. Besides, the X-1 has no real component inputs, you use adapters either to the VGA or to the S-video. I ordered the s-video adapter so if I can figure out the VGA issue, I can actually compare the two.

I do believe you guys are on the right track. As mentioned, I had everything working fine, but while out of town the DVD player (that also has a TiVo player attached) did a self upgrade to the latest software version. It ended up changing several of my settings, and I bet it changed something about that as well.
Old 04-22-05, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The X1 does have a nice chip that improves the Svideo - but Progressive through a breakout cable or component cables with the adapter usually give a much better picture.
Old 04-24-05, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, back home and playing. 1st thing I did was try the svideo break out cable (this would be compont outs on my DVD/Tivo player to the s-video break out cable). Soon as I plugged it in, the X-1 recognized it and displayed the image. And WHAT AN IMAGE! 50X better then that RCA video! And then with DVD - WOW. Now I think I can live with this! It really is awesome.

I'm going to watch a movie on it tonight (hmmm Matrix II maybe) and hook up my sub. Then I play some more tomorrow. Now I did notice that when I hooked in the signal thru the s-video it showed a quick message that is was 480i. Now if I understand it correctly, this will NOT play thru the VGA-breakout adapter. So either I'm just going to have to go with the s-video break out cable(and this this image, I'd be great with it), or I'm going to have to see if my player has a switch somewhere to switch it to 720p or 1080i.

I only have one slight issue and hopefully I can adjust. I cut the hole out in my ceiling assuming I would use the VGA, so it is a little stretch to use the S-video. Yea, I could get a component cable, but I need like a 3 INCH one not a 3 FOOT one!

Last edited by Sdallnct; 04-24-05 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-24-05, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The X1 is not HD, standard 480p from a progressive scan player is supposed to be excellent from the X1, that's why it is so popular.

Last edited by Spiky; 04-24-05 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-24-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
The X1 is not HD, standard 480p from a progressive scan player is supposed to be excellent from the X1, that's why it is so popular.
Yea, I knew the X1 was not HD, but what I don't know is what all the numbers mean. Like I say, I read at another site that the VGA break out with only display certain (720p & 1080i) signals and the s-video break out will only display certain signals (480i). While I don't know what the number signals mean (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i), I have figured out which breakout cable shows which one, I think.

No the problem I "think" I'm having, is I don't know what my Toshiba SD-H400 that has Tivo and Progressive scan built in can display and while there is a switch on the back (i or p), I'm not sure if I need to change it in some of the set up menu's as well.
Old 04-24-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK so google really is my friend.

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5107912-1.html

Know I know what the numbers mean, now I got to figure out what my Toshiba can and can't do. If I understand the above article correctly, since the Toshiba has a progressive scan DVD player, it must be able to output at least 480p right?

Now the only questions remains if the unit outputs to either 720p or 1080i to use the VGA breakout cable....
Old 04-25-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It doesn't do HD res (720 or 1080). But it may actually do 540p instead of 480p. It's hard to find correct details sometimes. Toshiba RPTVs do 1080i and 540p, which are very similar. It makes the electronics easier, I suppose. Many other RPTVs do 1080i and 480p to match with both HDTV and progressive DVD. So some/all of Toshiba's players match that 540p spec. The specs here seem to say this.

Toshiba site
Old 04-25-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, and since 540p is in the high EDTV range (that is, over 480), you may need to have your X1 set for HDTV or something. That's a guess, I'm not actually familiar with the inner workings of the X1. Hopefully it can receive the oddball resolution.

Be sure to double check your black level setting in the player. It should be set to Darker or whatever Toshiba calls it for component video output. Sometimes this is automatic, but check it.
Old 04-25-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, right now I have the component outs on the Toshiba Tivo/DVD player to the S-video breakout cable on my X-1. The switch on the back of the player is set to i (which I assume is interlaced, thus giving me 480i I beleive). Good picture on SD TV (very good on some channels) and excellent on DVD.

When I set the switch on the back of the unit to p (I assume progressive scan, thus giving me 480p I believe), I must also set a "soft switch" on the remote to progressive, but then I get duel images. Obviously not good. I think I will try this setting thru the VGA component break outs and see what happens.

What is really thowing me off is I know that for a while I was running this toshiba into the VGA breakout cable and that is the way I installed everything and it was working. But then I go out of town, the unit upgrades itself, and bam no more image coming out of the VGA breakout cable. Here is the only info I can find on the video of the Toshiba,

10-bit/54 MHz Video Digtial/Analog Converter
Super ColorStream Pro® Output for both DVD & TiVo
Digital Cinema Progressive with 3:2 Pulldown for both DVD & TiVo Playback
Up to 80 hours of recording on TiVo Series 2™ hard drive4
Resolution: 540 Lines
Video Black Level Expansion and PLUGE
PLUGE (Picture Line Up Generation Equipment)
Video DNR

EDIT: OK that DID work. Setting to "p" on the rear of the unit and changing then memu in setup to progressive, now gives me a signal thru the VGA breakout cable. I'm guessing when the unit went thru its self upgrade it erased all my setting and went back to default. Now, I'm not 100% sure which gives me the better picture (interlaced thru s-video breakout or progressive thru vga breakout), but I can easily switch between the two. Plus, I really installed assuming I would use the VGA which mean a much cleaner look (no cords needed, I can just plug the VGA breakout cable directly into the ceiling.) It was a little tighter then I hoped use the s-video breakout since it is farther away.

Since the X-1 is supposed to accept only 720p and 1080i in the VGA, can I assume the Toshiba "upconverts" or something? I agree that the unit is not HD (it only cost $100) and I know the X-1 is not HD, but I did read that it can display a HD signal.

EDIT 2: OK, without a doubt SD TV looks better going thru the VGA breakout. Channels that were only "OK" before are now "good" and channels that were "good" are "very good". DVD is much harder to tell, IMHO, excellent image on both, so since this will also be for TV viewing, I'll leave hooked up to the VGA breakout.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 04-25-05 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-13-05, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
It does several other things on the VGA input. 480p hook it up to pc , itll do lots more resolutions. Generally itll almost always look better which the VGA input. Just depends on the source. Not all dvd players are equal in quality, no matter what mode said player is capable of doing.

As for why it did it, I was going to say firmware upgrade, or power outage. Who knows. By the way High Def still looks damn good on the X1, far better than SD cable or dish, hands down better, and even looks better than dvd. But since it is'nt truely HD capable res wise, only slightly better than dvd. I find mostly compression wise looks lots better, and some slight better detail in HD over its dvd counterpart.

Anyway enjoy, just wanted to help you understand better. Since you seem kind of new.
Old 06-13-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hdtv00
It does several other things on the VGA input. 480p hook it up to pc , itll do lots more resolutions. Generally itll almost always look better which the VGA input. Just depends on the source. Not all dvd players are equal in quality, no matter what mode said player is capable of doing.

As for why it did it, I was going to say firmware upgrade, or power outage. Who knows. By the way High Def still looks damn good on the X1, far better than SD cable or dish, hands down better, and even looks better than dvd. But since it is'nt truely HD capable res wise, only slightly better than dvd. I find mostly compression wise looks lots better, and some slight better detail in HD over its dvd counterpart.

Anyway enjoy, just wanted to help you understand better. Since you seem kind of new.
Thanks I appreciate the info. And I am looking for a deal on a dishnetwork HD receiver and get a OTA to get me some "free" (after spending $250 to $300 on the HD receiver ) HD TV. I work out of town a lot, so right now my goal is to be set up for the NFL season.

But right now I do love the PJ. Very nice and much higher quality then I expected given the cost. Love watching the NBA on it and even regular TV. My dad came over a couple of weeks ago and watched the season finally of CSI. Very sweet! We are using it a lot and had recently started "movie nights" But my wife wants some seats a little more comfortable, so now got the excuse to look at some Berkline's