Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help with new Zenith HDTV

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Posted this on home theater forum with no reponse - I'm hoping one of you kind souls can lend a hand.

Hi - I've been a member for a while, but this question is for my cousin. She just bought a new tv, a Zenith, E44W48LCD 44" HD ready LCD MD (or perhaps E44W46LCD). She has a stand alone tivo and digital comcast at this point. She is planning on getting hdtv soon with an integrated dvr.

Right now, she is using the cables and surge protector that she already had from her 29" Sony Wega.

She is experiencing vertical white lines (like static)through the picture - the number of lines vary from a few to many.

I believe she needs a line conditioner to solve the vertical white lines issue - am I correct? If so, what is the best option for the best value? Is Monster the way to go? They seem overpriced - is there a better option for similar funds?

Also, what other cables will she need for hdtv? I think she needs the color component splitter cables, anything else? again, what is the best brand? Is there a special cable to mate the hdtv reciever with the tv? If so, what type of cable (and again what brand) should she get?

Any help would be much appreciated - including general advice outside of my questions. I'll periodically check this thread on her behalf. Thank you!!

(at this point Best Buy is replacing her tv in a day or so which will hopefully resolve the vertical lines - but she still has a great need for component cable/line conditioner help).
Old 04-06-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Be more specific. What type of video cable is she currently using? I would assume Svideo, composite (yellow cable), or even coax from the cable box. I ask because the white lines could possibly be due to wrong settings for the input type.

Yes, she will need component video cables, or DVI, or VGA to get HD signals from the HD box for that TV. (from what a quick search about the TV told me) Brand isn't an issue, specs on the cable is. Monster is always overkill for price, there are plenty of cables that match or beat Monster's specs for far less.

I wouldn't think the surge protector would be an issue. Easy enough to check it out just by plugging the TV directly into the wall to see if the lines persist.

Last edited by Spiky; 04-06-05 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-06-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hi Spiky, thanks for the info. Yes, she is using composite (yellow/white/red) cables at the moment. Please forgive my ignorance, but what specs should she be looking for wrt the component video cables (is that the cable that splits the colors - green/red/blue?).
Old 04-06-05, 08:05 PM

Do the vertical lines scroll through the picture? If so, she may simply have a ground loop issue. If it's a ground loop issue, it's mostly caused by her cable box. A quick test is for her to get the lines to appear on her tv, just have her unplug the cable from her box while the lines are on screen. If the lines disappear, it's most likely the cable box.

If that's the case, have her call Comcast to send in a CSR to properly ground her cable. They're required by law to do this, so it's not a problem. The only trouble will be getting them to actually understand what they need to do...feel free to just let them know that she KNOWS is a ground loop issue, and they need to bring some copper wire in to properly ground her cable.

I'm not sure where your friend is located, but the DVR box up here in Boston is the Motorola 6412 HD DVR. If she gets that, then she should just get some component cables. BestBuy carry Acoustic Research cables, a well priced cable that'll work.

A component cable is three cables that all touch in the middle, RGB. Just head into any store and ask for a component cable, they should know what they are! Good luck!
Old 04-07-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry, I get into specs and minute details since I make my own. You don't really need to look those up for most people. Sometimes I get ahead of myself trying to help people.

The Acoustic Research cables are quite nice, and half the price of Monster in the same store, usually. If you were to find specs, you'd find them virtually identical. Pretty much any component cable that appears to have nice solid connectors and 1/4" thick wire is going to actually be an excellent cable. Even the RCA-brand or whatever Target is selling these days aren't all that bad.

A website that sells some decent cables very cheap is Parts Express, which sells Dayton cables. Probably a house brand, haven't really checked into it.

Note about the ground loop issue. If it is a grounding problem, the lines would almost certainly show on ANY input. So you could be watching a DVD or VHS and still see them even though you aren't watching cable. If it's only on the cable, it is probably some other issue.
Old 04-07-05, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Note about the ground loop issue. If it is a grounding problem, the lines would almost certainly show on ANY input. So you could be watching a DVD or VHS and still see them even though you aren't watching cable. If it's only on the cable, it is probably some other issue.
With my cable grounding issue, the lines were not present on any other source. They were only visible when the cable box was hooked up, not on either of my DVD players, or my Xbox.
Old 04-08-05, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Weird. I wonder if the problem was in the cable box, then. Usually I see the same TV effects on any input, even an unused one, if there is a ground loop affecting the TV.
Old 04-08-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Juicerocket and Spiky - thank you for your help!!! I'm emailing her a link to this thread so that she can try your suggestions to help narrow down the problem.

As to the cables, what type do each of you use? Monster or one of the other brands you mentioned? Sounds like Acoustic Research is the brand to get if the specs are virtually identical to Monster but half the price.
Old 04-09-05, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have some Monster, but I haven't actually paid for any of their cables in about a decade. Now that I've learned more about cables and the market, that is. My optical cables are Dayton Audio. My speaker cables are still mostly Monster with Monster or Vampire ends. Everything else in my HT is DIY with high quality Canare and Belden cable. But I have a disease.
Old 04-09-05, 04:33 PM

Go for AR over Monster. Monster are all about the brand and the price, quality is 2ndary. There is an incredible thread on the AVSForum where a user blind-tests the entire forum with 4 cables, ranging from low to high end. The result? The differences in PQ are not substantiated by the pricing.

Spiky, it wasn't the cable box, it was the un-grounded cable junction that came into our building. Once they grounded it with copper wire, the ground loop vanished. Thank god!
Old 04-11-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Once again, thanks, guys!! You really have been a wonderful help.