DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help - koss 600watt 6.1. model ks4192 doesn't work

Old 03-28-05, 06:43 PM

Help - koss 600watt 6.1. model ks4192 doesn't work

Hey guys I'm new here and I just bought a home theater system off ebay. its a koss 600watt 6.1. the model number is ks4192. the thing is I am having some problems with it. when I bought it the guy forgot to delete the part where he tested it and it worked. So now i'm stuck with a dvd player that dont work. I asked him what was wrong with it and it didnt know. All I know is that the reciever does not get any power to it. thats it. so if anybody knows a guy that does DVD player repair or you guys know what might be the problem then can you guys let me know. thanks aot.
-manson
Old 03-28-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it does not work and it said it did in the information he posted, get a refund - its not your problem he screwed up. A Koss system would probably be cheaper to buy a new one that get that one repaired. When my stuff dies, unless it is under warranty I replace it - Stuff is just to cheap these days. I guess if my HDTV went out I may try to fix it, but not a DVD player or a A/V receiver unless it was more than $500.

Amazon Review of product in question (return if possible)
Customer reviews:
Average Rating: 1.00 out of 5 stars

Rating: 1 out of 5 stars - Koss Means CRAP!
I recently bought this item. It was easy to set up and worked great at first, but that didn't last long. Soon, I began experiencing little problems like when I would open the disc tray it would open then close as soon as it opened. Nothing too bad. The sound was great. However, less than a month after I got it, I was watching a DVD. A strange smell started coming from the player like something was burning. Suddenly it froze up. I couldn't get it to do anything. I couldn't even get the disc tray to open. I tried turning it on and off and unplugging it, but nothing worked. I finally had to remove the cover just to force it open to get my DVD back. Botton line: DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!

Last edited by speedyray; 03-28-05 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-28-05, 07:05 PM

well he said it worked but then he said he didnt at the bottem of the page. and I told him I wanted my money back and he said he isnt responsible for the shipping so I would be out 30 bucks when I only paid79.99 for the hole thing which includes shipping. so I might just say screw it and buy a new dvd player and keep the speakers. can you buy a dvd player and use it to hook up surround sound to? i dont know much about home audio i'm more of a moble person.
-manson
Old 03-28-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You would need a receiver and DVD player. This unit combines the two functions. If you paid with a credit card or Paypal dispute the charge as fraud. The item was misrepresented. He should refund you what you paid - if he wants a broken product back let him pay the shipping. If he sent you a working unit, that would also be acceptable.

Sorry I do not have something more positive to say, but I hope I have been helpful in some form.
Old 03-28-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh, welcome to the forum.
Old 03-28-05, 07:13 PM

you have. and no I paid with a money order. so I dont know I think i'll just save up and buy me a reciever and dvd player. and thoughts on a good dvd player and reciever?
-manson
Old 03-28-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by manson
you have. and no I paid with a money order. so I dont know I think i'll just save up and buy me a reciever and dvd player. and thoughts on a good dvd player and reciever?
-manson
Everyone has opinions on this. I have always had higher level Pioneer products and they have always been very good. Some of their low end stuff is not real great though. I have used Toshiba a great deal as well, and have been very satisfied with their DVD players although the latest ones are not my favorite. Budget will dictate a lot on these questions. My Receiver was $750 and my DVD player was several hundred as well. For entry level, you may want to go to Circuit City, etc and just look and study a little. Read reviews online to get a feel for quality as well. Online deals at places like etronics.com will kill Circuit City and Best Buy prices, so don't just run out and buy something because online you may get the next model up for the same price.