DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Is this Philips 642 DVD player problem fixable?

Old 03-27-05, 12:53 PM

Is this Philips 642 DVD player problem fixable?

My Philips 642 DVD player has shut down completely. The only sign of life is a flashing red light on the player's power button. This is normally a continuous red light when the player is off and a continuous green when the player is on. I have tried unplugging and replugging the player, to no avail. There is a DVD disc inside the player.

I would appreciate any help on this. Is my player dead? Or is there any way to fix this problem?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-05, 05:43 PM

Have you tried resetting it to factory settings? It will tell you in your manual, how to do this. If it works, you'll have to reset your preferences, such as turning on dts, etc. If all else fails, send them an e-mail. It may be something simple.
Good luck!
Old 03-27-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Was the disc working before this error started? It could be the disc is stuck somehow. Sometimes you can fix some problems by getting the disc out, even if you have to open up the machine to do it without damaging the disc. Obviously, if it is still under warranty, you should just get it done at the shop.
Old 03-27-05, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Was the disc working before this error started? It could be the disc is stuck somehow. Sometimes you can fix some problems by getting the disc out, even if you have to open up the machine to do it without damaging the disc. Obviously, if it is still under warranty, you should just get it done at the shop.
I thought of this too. I am familiar with the Phillips players so know the lights should always stay on and not flicker. My combo unit flickers when a VHS my son watches gets stuck, though, as the stupid things going out. (No surprise there).

So it wont turn off completely either?
Old 03-27-05, 10:34 PM

Thanks emoxley, spiky and jcfantasy23. The only way to reset it is to unplug it. Tried it but no success. Unit will not turn off completely unless I unplug it. The disk seemed ok, but I will try removing and see if the unit works again. I have had the player for about 6 months, so I'm past the 3 month warranty.

Thanks again
Old 04-02-05, 07:48 PM

Update

Update: Opened the player, removed the DVD and closed it up again. No change -- the player remains inoperable. Looks like I need to get a new player.
Old 04-06-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
My first 642 started showing tray problems after about 10 days of use. I took it back for exchange and have had no problems at all with the replacement for 3 months.