Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help a n00b with audio ?'s

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-05, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, I would just like to ask a couple of questions, any help would be greatly appreciated. And please be kind and direct me to any other places that may provide answers.

1) Please define for me the difference between all the different types of audio signals I find on all my movies I see - DTS, EX, 5.1, and Dolby Digital

2) My set up for my surround sound system is very odd, I dont even think I have it set up correctly (I can go into details if you like). But I do believe I am getting the right sound through the rear speakers. How can I be sure I am getting the best possible use out of my system?

Thanks in advance.

Here is my set up
circa 2000 Panasonic DVD-RV31 running to a Panasonic SA-HT05 receiver circa 2004.

Last edited by Heartagram; 03-02-05 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-02-05, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's the link to the hardware FAQ, which can be found at the top of this forum area:

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165672

As to helping you with your setup, yeah, we need more details than it's "very odd."
Old 03-02-05, 11:01 AM

Alright you asked and you shall receive.. I am running my DVD player into my receiver through the DVR/VCR outputs. Now on my receiver for the DVD setup there are 6 outputs 2 for front, 2 for surround, and 1 for center and the last for subwoofer. Now the problem is my DVD player doesnt have this many out puts to connect the two properly.

I was thinking of just buying a new DVD player maybe.
Old 03-02-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
You probably don't need a new DVD player. You definitely don't need six cables running between your DVD player and your receiver. You just need one: either an optical cable or a digital coaxial cable.

My guess is that you already have everything hooked up properly.
Old 03-02-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like you're not running an optical or a coaxial cable... If you're just running your audio from the standard RCA outputs (red and white), you won't receive 5.1 digital sound. You need to see what kind of digital inputs your receiver has (the six inputs can be used, but you have to have a player that will pass the signal that way) and then see what kind of digital output your player has. In the case of your player, if it's circa 2000, there's a chance that it only passes an optical signal.
Old 03-02-05, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
... there's a chance that it only passes an optical signal.
According to the Panasonic website, the RV31 only has an optical connection for surround sound. The "PCM Down Conversion" needs to be set to "Yes" in the player if using the optical connection.
Old 03-02-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Heartagram
I am running my DVD player into my receiver through the DVR/VCR outputs.
What do you mean you're running your DVD player through the DVR/VCR outputs? Do you mean you have it connected to your receiver's DVR/VCR inputs?

If your TV has an S-video jack, S-video will provide you with a vastly superior picture than the yellow "composite" (RCA-type plug) output that a VCR uses. S-video only carries the video signal.

Connect the DVD player to the TV with an S-video cable (or through your receiver if it supports S-video switching), then run an optical digital audio cable from the DVD player to your receiver's optical digital input.
Old 03-02-05, 10:22 PM

Thanks all, I am off to my local A&B to talk to the home theatre guy there. I drew up some schematics of my setup and will be getting him to give me a hand (going to try to go with an optical cable.

Thnks again, you guys are the best.

Hugs and Kisses for everyone (if you want them)
Old 03-03-05, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Heartagram
Hugs and Kisses for everyone (if you want them)
Yeah, OK, but no tongue. We don't know you that well yet.
Old 03-03-05, 04:59 PM

thanks for all the help everyone, went out and got a Monster Digital Cable, hooked it up and everyothing sounds better. Bought T2 just for a special occasion and blew my ears off.