Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

extending the length of RCA, A/V cords?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-08-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have rearranged my room and the 25 foot A/V cord i used before will not reach from my computer to my stereo. the cable is to play mp3s from my computer to my stereo. i am short by about 5 feet. i don't want to go out and buy a 30 foot cord, as i recall playing 20 or close to it for the 25 feet.

i was thinking there must be some kind of extenion jack, were i could use it to hook up two seperate A/V cords to be one longer cord. such thing exist?

i briefly checked radioshack's webpage but didn't see anything. if there is such a thing, what would it's proper name be? how much for?

if nothing exists, is my only option to just go and buy the 30'? keep in mind, i'm not good at technical things and splicing or sodering two cables together would leave me baffled beyond belief.

one other thing. having the computer hooked to the stereo before creating one small problem, all computer audio went to the stereo. would it be possible to find a small switch thingy that would allow me to direct the audio to the computer speakers or to the stereo?

thanks...
Old 02-08-05, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Can you just use two of these to extend the cables?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=274-1553
(Damn, that's a long link!)

Keep in mind that 25' for an unbalanced cable is really longer than it should be. The longer it is, the more likely you are to pick up interference (buzzes, hums, etc.).
Old 02-09-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that is pretty much want i expected to find, but didn't.

as far as the 25' cable goes, it was fine or atleast fine enough for me to use. but maybe extending the cable will reduce quality or create other sound effects. i guess i'll see if other chime in. i suppose i could change the room a bit more to make the 25' cord work if really needed.

anyway thanks for your quick reply