DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

big screen pricing

Old 01-31-05, 09:26 AM

big screen pricing

Hi All,

I've been on the fence on getting a big screen for a while. I really like the new lcd and dlp models, but my budget is more in line with the crt models.

I'm just wondering if anyone has heard any rumors on any lcd and/or dlp price reductions in the near future ??

Right now, a decent crt based RPT is around $2000, and the equivalent lcd or dlp based model is 3400-4000. These are canadian prices.

If the dlp or lcd prices aren't expected to lower, I'll probably just pick up a regular crt rpt, but I don't want to jump the gun and get the lesser technology if the there is a price reduction in the works.

Thanks,
Jas
Old 01-31-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JHosk
If the dlp or lcd prices aren't expected to lower, I'll probably just pick up a regular crt rpt, but I don't want to jump the gun and get the lesser technology if the there is a price reduction in the works.
Don't think that CRT is a 'lesser technology!' Very far from the truth. The only advantage it does not have over the rest is size. For best picture quality, CRT is still the leader. It has the blackest blacks, whitest whites and best color/contrast all around. You just can't get a 60" CRT.
Old 01-31-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are certainly CRT based RPTVs over 60".
Old 01-31-05, 11:31 AM

Go look at the actual sets at a store that uses correct lighting. You may find that the CRT units actually offer the best available image quality. No, they can't go bright enough to light up the room all by themselves, but if the image on a CRT unit is properly converged and calibrated, it has no equal.

However, their prices are probably not going to go down, since the market is moving away from CRTs.

Economy of scale and optimization of manufacturing has always brought prices down significantly, in every area of consumer electronics. Smaller LCDs are already half the price they were two years ago, and plasmas are a lot cheaper as well. Why shouldn't this trend continue, and even accelerate?

As digital broadcasting becomes more common in the US, and as the "mandatory" changeover comes closer, the sales volume of digital TVs will skyrocket. Prices are bound to fall. Maybe not so much on really big screen sizes, but I'll be surprised if there aren't sub-$1000 42" plasmas by next year, and LCDs not long after that. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to see LCDs overtake plasmas as price-leaders in the 32-42" range.

Disclaimer: I am not a psychic.

RichC
Old 01-31-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chipmac
There are certainly CRT based RPTVs over 60".
I'm talking direct view, sorry for the confusion. RPTV's are good, but still not as good as directview.
Old 01-31-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by renaldow
I'm talking direct view, sorry for the confusion. RPTV's are good, but still not as good as directview.
Well then to clarify there aren't any CRT direct view TVs over 40" not 60".
Old 01-31-05, 06:58 PM
X
Administrator

I certainly disagree with that statement. You will never get a RPTV's resolution or movie-like experience from a consumer directview CRT at their current and likely future sizes.
Old 02-01-05, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by X
I certainly disagree with that statement. You will never get a RPTV's resolution or movie-like experience from a consumer directview CRT at their current and likely future sizes.
Resolution? An RPTV has no more resolution than a directview. Or are you saying an HDTV RPTV has more lines of resolution than a HDTV directview? I don't believe that's the case since they're both following the resolution specified by HDTV. Your CRT in the RPTV isn't any bigger than in a directview. Projecting it is what makes it bigger and that definitely doesn't add more resolution to a pic. Please explain what you mean, I don't understand.

As for movie-like presentation... I'd have to say that's in the eye of the beholder. I agree the projection can add to the illusion of watching it on a theater screen, but that's due to the softness from being projected. You also lose some color, contrast and black levels while projecting it. A directview will always be capable of showing a sharper, more defined and color accurate picture. The only reason they're starting to go away is because of size limitations not because of quality issues.

Don't get me wrong, the other technologies can offer a great pic at a much larger size than a directview. But if your looking at directview vs any of the others in the same size ranges, you'd be crazy not to go with the directview unless there's a weight limitation or something like that. The directview will give you a better pic at a cheaper price.

Last edited by renaldow; 02-01-05 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-01-05, 10:01 AM

I'll be surprised if we see direct-view CRTs get any bigger; the market doesn't seem to be interested in even bigger, heavier, more awkward boxes in its living rooms. (The 40in Sony weighs over 300 pounds!) It wants bigger screens in otherwise smaller packages.

I wish for a 42" 16:9 direct-view HD CRT as well. That would be my perfect TV. I'm not getting my hopes up. And when it came time to plunk down my money, I'm not sure I'd want a TV that unwieldy.

All this is why I'm waiting another year or two for the market to shake out a little further. I can live with a 36in CRT with anamorphic squeeze mode until then.

RichC
Old 02-01-05, 11:16 AM
X
Administrator

Resolution? An RPTV has no more resolution than a directview. Or are you saying an HDTV RPTV has more lines of resolution than a HDTV directview? I don't believe that's the case since they're both following the resolution specified by HDTV. Your CRT in the RPTV isn't any bigger than in a directview. Projecting it is what makes it bigger and that definitely doesn't add more resolution to a pic. Please explain what you mean, I don't understand.
Yes, I'm saying an RPTV has more resolution than a directview. True displayable lines of resolution.

Go check the specs and tell me if you can find a directview that has 1200+ lines of resolution like any decent RPTV with three 7" tubes.

And see if there's a directview set that can display anywhere near full HDTV resolution, 1920x1080, as an RPTV with 9" tubes can.

I did a little looking myself and found a reference to the Sony KV-34XBR910 having 1400 lines of resolution but I don't know if that's true; it was just a sales product review by some guy. Most "good" sets are 800 to about 1000 max.
Old 02-02-05, 03:26 AM

I've been pricing big screen TV's for months now...Been considering Toshiba's CRT projection line for some time...although, the other day, went to Conn's to check them out, and came across a Hitachi 50" LCD projection set that blew me away...the picture quality was so bold and intense that it made my mind up immediately...no glare, no worry about direct viewing (picture on the LCD looked great viewing from any angle)...plus, it was much thinner than any rear projection available...

But, it is all a matter of opinion...as other posters have stated...you need to get out and make up your mind on your own...BTW, the Hitachi I saw was $2300 US (2,834.83 CAD as of 02/02/05)
Old 02-02-05, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by svrasputin
I've been pricing big screen TV's for months now...Been considering Toshiba's CRT projection line for some time...although, the other day, went to Conn's to check them out, and came across a Hitachi 50" LCD projection set that blew me away...the picture quality was so bold and intense that it made my mind up immediately...no glare, no worry about direct viewing (picture on the LCD looked great viewing from any angle)...plus, it was much thinner than any rear projection available...

But, it is all a matter of opinion...as other posters have stated...you need to get out and make up your mind on your own...BTW, the Hitachi I saw was $2300 US (2,834.83 CAD as of 02/02/05)

Cool...is that the hitachi 50V500 50" LCD ?? I was eyeing this one as well. Suggested retail is $3999 cdn here. The retail prices do not match the converted US prices. I can probably get it for ~ 3400 + tax for a cash purchase. My price range is around 2500-2800 which is pretty firm. I'm just wondering if these LCD or DLP models will reach that level in the next 6-8 monthes.
Old 02-02-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just buy a rear-projection Mitsubishi CRT-TV. The Silver Series has the same basic innards that the Platinum and Diamond Series have, they just don't have the superior cabinetry and a few of the extra unnecessary options. If you get your TV calibrated properly, you will get the same great picture w/ a Silver Series CRT that you will w/ a Platinum/Diamond Series CRT.