DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

"No Disc" Message

Old 01-29-05, 08:02 PM
Cool New Member

"No Disc" Message

I don't know if this is the right subforum for this but I am having a problem with my Aspire AD-1100 dvd player. Yesterday I watched collateral and everything is fine. Now suddenly today I can't play any dvd. I cleaned the laser lense and I still get a No Disc message. It will however play a data cdr that has mp3's or mpeg files on it and it will also play a regular music cd. I can't find anything on the internet about this problem.
Old 01-30-05, 12:14 PM

Try resetting to factory settings. Your manual should tell you how to do this. If not, send company an e-mail, asking how to. After resetting, you'll probably need to turn dts back on , etc.........
This may or may not help. Worth a try though.

Can also try unplugging for a couple hours or so, and plug back in. Sometimes this will reset things.

Good luck! Keep us posted?
Old 01-30-05, 11:21 PM
Cool New Member

I had it unplugged for 10 hours and it still does it. I can't seem to find the manual even though I can find the box. It's just so weird that it will play a cd-r that has mpg movies on it but not a dvd. I'm still waiting on an email back from teh company. I'm hoping for it sometime tomorrow.
Old 02-02-05, 01:44 PM
Cool New Member

I got an email back from aspire saying the "crystal reader" has gone bad and that I will need to buy a new player. However I can't find anything on the internet about a crystal reader.
Old 02-02-05, 05:26 PM

Bummer! Sorry to hear that. I hope it was a cheap player? I'm not familiar with that brand.............
Old 02-03-05, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They may be referring to the laser optics pickup when saying "Crystal Reader". You mention cleaning the lense, do you do this regularly or just this time when it started acting up. People get the goofy idea that they should regularly clean the laser pickup yet all they are doing is scratching up the laser pickup and damaging it! You NEVER need to use a cleaner unless you are in some God aweful dust bowl of a room. As the sane goes "if it aint broke, don't fix it"!
Old 02-03-05, 10:21 AM
Cool New Member

This was the first time I had ever cleaned that lense. I've cleaned the lense on my cd stereo several times though and I never use a cleaner. I just take the top off and lightly swab the lense with a q-tip.