Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

dvd recorder question?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

dvd recorder question?

Old 01-27-05, 01:11 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dvd recorder question?

hi , i was looking to purchase a dvd recorder/VCR for recording old basketball games from vhs plus record any shows i miss on Tv on dvd, which i can erase over. i dont know too much about dvd recorders so i am not sure which would be best and long lasting, i have always been reluctant to buy combo's but needed some opinions, the best one i found with a decent price is this Panasonic DVD Recorder/VCR (DMR-E75VS) which got good reviews and the price is not that bad. here is the link at CC

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/...Review.do#tabs

any help would be really appreciated, thanks
Old 01-27-05, 01:17 PM
X
Administrator

Received 153 Likes on 123 Posts
This is probably a better forum for this question.

I am reluctant to buy combos too. I would assume you have no capability to adjust the picture with an external processor if you're copying from VCR to DVD as you would with separate units.
Old 01-27-05, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not too crazy about combo units either. I know you want to transfer VHS to dvdr but you can do this with a standalone DVD recorder and your old VCR. Assuming you have a decent VCR with S-video output you could run that signal into a dvd recorder and record any of you old VHS content. I don't think you would see much of a difference in picture quality from the external transfer as opposed to the internal transfer of a combo unit. I would suggest any of the Panasonic DVD recorders with a hard drive built in (the ES85 or ES100 or (something like that) modles come to mind) This would give you the ability to use your old vcr to transfer tapes, the ability to record new shows to the hard drive, which you could then watch, erase or transfer to dvd if you want to keep them.

But that's just my opinion!