Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Basic projector?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-04, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basic projector?

i don't need anything super fancy, just a nice projector that is HDTV resolution capable and a sharp picture. DVI or Analog and S-video connection would be needed. I'm looking in the $1000-1500 price range. any suggestions?
Old 12-26-04, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm thrilled with my newly installed NEC LT240K - 2100 lumens, 2000:1 contrast ratio. The only downside is no DVI input, but component (via VGA) is fine with me. Has a shorter-throw lens also, which helps with a bigger picture in a small room. (I have it projecting onto a 123" screen)

Can be found for ~$1400...
Old 12-26-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Read articles here:

www.projectorcentral.com
Old 12-27-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Go to costco, the infocus SP4805 is $1250 w/77" HDTV DaLite screen
Old 12-27-04, 10:22 PM

Sounds like the 4805 would fit the bill, i'm using the 4805 in my HT now. I can't say how blown away i have been by this pj! The 4805 is a EDTV pj not a true HDTV pj, but can except HD signals by smart down conversion to 480p. HD content looks amazing on it when i saw it at a dealer here in my city. DVD's are just look outstanding on this pj, and it has all the features you listed above. If you click on my link and take a look at the screen shots to give you a idea of what it can do. The pix do not do the 4805 justice, Infocus has done an great job on this pj. Good luck in your search.
Old 12-28-04, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are there really any projectors that are HD that come in under $1500? I thought all of them in that price range were only EDTV resolution.
Old 12-28-04, 10:51 AM

I have seen the Panasonic 500 and the Sanyo Z2 on sale for about $1500, and they are both 1280x720 resolution. That's about it. Everything else I have seen is 480 or 540 on the vertical.

Both the 500 and the Z2 accept DVI.
Old 12-28-04, 02:33 PM

well reading on a little more i have decided i'm not going to go with the projector. the short lamp life, the fact that i'm going to be viewing my movies in a fairly small room, and that i watch a lot of regular TV sealed it. Now i'm going to be searching for a 50ish" RPTV. and the search begins again...
Old 12-29-04, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, a FP isnt for you then... I love mine FP, but there not for every one... Only the "elite
...Just kidding
Old 12-29-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by REL77
Go to costco, the infocus SP4805 is $1250 w/77" HDTV DaLite screen
according to a thread at "obese money-carrying device", the costco coupon book (though coupon apparently not necessary for sale) lists that the 4805 with the included 76" draper screen will be priced from 1/31-2/6/05 at:

Warehouse price: 1199.99
Off at register - 100.00
Mail in Rebate - 100.00

AFTER REBATE $999.99
With quantities occasionally scarce at costco, if your store has some now, it may be worth a purchase some time around 1/6 so that you can do a return/rebuy (receipt only transaction) for the sale.

Cheaper price pays (almost) for the first bulb replacement.

Tempting....

Joe
Old 12-29-04, 05:26 PM

Man you guys have NO idea what you are missing! I was backing away from front pj too, once i realized how close i was getting to pulling the trigger. It is so worth it! If you love dvd's (and i know you do) the big image really brings them to life. Once you go front projection, you want go back and it's a lot easier than it looks or sounds.

Joe, just do it the lamp life in low power is 4,000 hrs! Hell once you get close to replacing your 1st bulb, you might be ready to upgrade again.
Old 12-29-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So.........

The lights in the room would have to be out, right? I mean, the ceiling fan bullet lights that shine out would have to be off? So, no reading the paper or a magazine, etc., unless I we get some sort of recessed lighting on the other side where we are sitting, or some other clever sort of task lighting? We are wanting to get rid of the 36" 200 pound monstrosity in the family room. We have some control of the lighting from outside, as we have 80% solar screens and soon to have wooden (well faux) blinds as well. But I'm guessing these compact flourescents would be a problem...
Old 12-29-04, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
So.........

The lights in the room would have to be out, right? I mean, the ceiling fan bullet lights that shine out would have to be off? So, no reading the paper or a magazine, etc., unless I we get some sort of recessed lighting on the other side where we are sitting, or some other clever sort of task lighting? We are wanting to get rid of the 36" 200 pound monstrosity in the family room. We have some control of the lighting from outside, as we have 80% solar screens and soon to have wooden (well faux) blinds as well. But I'm guessing these compact flourescents would be a problem...
Joe,

I have the lights on when using the pj for watching TV, and since you have some control over incoming light you should not have any issues. You can get creative with lighting to also make it work like what you mention above. Below is some other things you can do to make your veiwing very enjoyable.

1. Paint the walls in the room a darker color to cut down light reflections. It will do wonders for PQ!

2. Add some drapes/curtains to help out the heavy duty blinds contain incoming light.

3. Go with a grey screen material to help with PQ doing the day. I would ask for various screen samples (screen companies you are interesting in) to see what will work best in your enviroment.

Depending on how much light you contain from 1-3, you may be able to go with a white color screen material. I think you will be fine after some changes.