Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What's the best setup to record sporting events on DVD?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Basically all I want to do is record Maryland basketball and football games and burn them on DVDs forever. I already have dozens of games on VHS and I want to start recording future games to DVD for quality.

Here's what I have: NOTHING - no Tivo, no DVD recorder, okay I have TV and cable...

Also, using the computer is completely out of the question. I use the computer for surfing the net and that's it. And at this point it can barely do that. It's over 5 years old and I don't really want to drop hundreds of dollars on a new computer until this one dies.

Basically I want to get the best possible quality on the DVDs and I like to eliminate commercials so is there any way to do that? With VHS I would just sit there and stop the VCR during commercials for away games. What's the best way to do this with a DVD recorder? Does Tivo have any editing features that could do this? Eliminating commercials keeps basketball games under 2 hours which was great for VHS because they could be recorded on the highest possible quality setting.

I want to keep one game per DVD and not squeeze a bunch onto one disk.
Old 11-13-04, 03:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe a non-Tivo DVR/DVD Recorder? I may be wrong (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am), but I think the Tivo/DVD Recorders will not allow you to edit out commercials when burning to disc.
Old 11-13-04, 11:19 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by RandyM
Maybe a non-Tivo DVR/DVD Recorder? I may be wrong (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am), but I think the Tivo/DVD Recorders will not allow you to edit out commercials when burning to disc.
From everything I've read about them that's the case.

A DVD recorder will do what you want. The only downside for sports events is that you don't know for sure when they will end so you have to record longer than you expect just to be safe if you're not there. But that's not a big deal.

What I would do is record to the hard drive in high quality, edit out the commercials, and then record out to DVD in the best quality that will fit on the disc.

A feature that I really like about my Pioneer DVR420H is that you can adjust the recording quality in intervals of 5 to 15 minutes (longer intervals for longer recordings) so you're not stuck with only having 1 hour, 2 hour, 3 hour, etc. modes. You can use 2 hour 15 minute mode to fit an edited game on a disc which will be better than the standard 3 hour quality that most brands would make you use.
Old 11-13-04, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by X
A feature that I really like about my Pioneer DVR420H is that you can adjust the recording quality in intervals of 5 to 15 minutes (longer intervals for longer recordings) so you're not stuck with only having 1 hour, 2 hour, 3 hour, etc. modes. You can use 2 hour 15 minute mode to fit an edited game on a disc which will be better than the standard 3 hour quality that most brands would make you use.
Thanks. That sounds like a great feature. I was worrying about the quality not being so good if I couldn't fit a game on the 2-hour mode.