Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

LCD vs. DLP

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LCD vs. DLP

Can anybody point me to an online guide so I can make an educated choice between the two.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 11-08-04, 01:59 AM

For a quick hit on the subject, you can look at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...442702-9130331

and for a little longer article, try here: http://www.projectorcentral.com/lcd_dlp_update.htm

It basically comes down to which you prefer. At first look, I thought the DLP's were awesome. But, after looking at them for awhile, I noticed the colors seemed off (no matter how you tried to correct for them). And, the rainbow effect they talk about is truly an eyestrain.
Old 11-08-04, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And with LCD there are no true blacks.
Old 11-08-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
http://www.projectorcentral.com/lcd_dlp.htm

http://www.focusedtechnology.com/lcd-vs-dlp.html

http://www.lcdprojectoronline.com/lcd-vs-dlp.html
Old 11-08-04, 03:27 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got a 60" Sony RP-LCD a few weeks ago and i LOVE it. I considered DLPs for a long time but decided they just werent ready for me yet.

The DLPs I looked at werent the best for gaming, and the rainbow effect could show up under different light conditions and be more severe and even unwatchable for some people. I like to show movies to lots of people and I really didnt want to risk it.

Theres a great user group out there for my model TV, with lots of tweaks that really enhance the black levels and overall picture quality.

Last edited by Save Ferris; 11-08-04 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-18-04, 10:50 AM

A few of the newer LCD projectors have made some great strides with black levels using a dynamic iris. Most reviewers are saying their contrast is now competitive with DLP. The Panasonic 700, and the Sony HT51. Projector central has reviews of both.
Old 11-18-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
I've often wondered this question myself. I am going to be in the market for a nice set here after christmas. Everytime I see one of the DLP or LCD sets, they look grainy. Obviously alot has to do with the setup at the store.
Old 11-19-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only time my Samsung DLP looks grainy is when I'm watching a crappy source. HD and games look just fine. Are you going to a home theater store or a place like Best Buy?

No has complained about rainbows on my TV so far. They only way I can see them is if I move my head from side to side and really look for them.
Old 11-19-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by BigDave
No has complained about rainbows on my TV so far. They only way I can see them is if I move my head from side to side and really look for them.
Many times it depends on the person. Someone with a sensitivity to light usually sees more rainbow effects, as well as having more general issues with DLP since you're essentially staring at a light bulb.
Old 11-19-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts
LCD: No true blacks, dead/stuck pixels, screen door effect.
DLP: Rainbow effect, stuck mirrors.

As was stated above sensitivity to rainbows depends on the person. You might not see them at all.

What is described as graininess on LCD/DLP sets is called "silk screen effect" and is noticeable in scenes with a white background. It's described as looking at the screen through a nylon stocking or as looking like a swarn of mosquitoes. Unless the background is really white (like snow scene) you won't see this. It's more apparent on some sets than others.
Old 11-20-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by BigDave
The only time my Samsung DLP looks grainy is when I'm watching a crappy source. HD and games look just fine. Are you going to a home theater store or a place like Best Buy?

I would say the source is one issue and second is that they are at a BB or a Circuit City.

I really want to jump into a DLP or LCD set, but I'm leaning towards a rear projection set.
Old 11-22-04, 10:22 PM

hey skippy also try www.avsforums.com
Old 11-23-04, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by THORN
hey skippy also try www.avsforums.com
Good place for info in this... perhaps too much info.

I started thinking I wanted a DLP set. Then I became paranoid about rainbows (for myself and others who might watch my set).

Then I had purchased the JVC DILA set. However, it took over 2 months to come into stock, so I had plenty of time to reconsider.

Then I saw the new Sony 60XS955 LCD-RP set. Best compromise of features and PQ in my opinion. I am now waiting for this on special order.
Old 12-06-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Originally Posted by Deftones, Esq
I would say the source is one issue and second is that they are at a BB or a Circuit City.

I really want to jump into a DLP or LCD set, but I'm leaning towards a rear projection set.

def LMK if your serious I have some pretty sweet hookups through my work on DLP, LCD, and plasma @wholesale costs. Brands are limited.
Old 12-06-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by damn_skippy
def LMK if your serious I have some pretty sweet hookups through my work on DLP, LCD, and plasma @wholesale costs. Brands are limited.

Thanks for the offer bro, but I ended up getting a RP Mitsubishi set. The DLPs and LCDs were just a bit out of my range.
Old 12-06-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the offer bro, but I ended up getting a RP Mitsubishi set. The DLPs and LCDs were just a bit out of my range.

I think im going to get the 60" zenith LCD Tv for now. With my discount its going to be around $2000.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

Last edited by damn_skippy; 12-06-04 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-06-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

damn_skippy,
what about pricing on the Samsung HLP series?
Old 12-06-04, 02:16 PM

FP's cost less than RPTV's, about half the price. And FP's have a superior image to anything a RPTV can produce, and you get a wide viewing angle. It is like day and night. You should have tried one out in your house for a week. CC has no restocking fee with FP's.
Old 12-06-04, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by eXcentris
LCD: No true blacks, dead/stuck pixels, screen door effect.
DLP: Rainbow effect, stuck mirrors.

As was stated above sensitivity to rainbows depends on the person. You might not see them at all.

What is described as graininess on LCD/DLP sets is called "silk screen effect" and is noticeable in scenes with a white background. It's described as looking at the screen through a nylon stocking or as looking like a swarn of mosquitoes. Unless the background is really white (like snow scene) you won't see this. It's more apparent on some sets than others.
My FP is DLP, and I have no problems with the rainbow effect. As for stuck mirrors, I have no idea what that is. My FP is nothing short of spectacular.

I don't have a LCD FP, but I would think dead pixels would become very annoying. I have a laptop with 1 dead pixel, and no matter what I am using the laptop for, it is an eyesore. And if LCD's have no true blacks, I would caution people against buying them. You want true blacks, it provides better contrast. You have something to judge the bright colors against. It is important.
Old 12-06-04, 02:23 PM

I think im going to get the 60" zenith LCD Tv for now. With my discount its going to be around $2000.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance
check out:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=281407

half the cost and a picture that is better. might be worth doing a little research to see if it is for you.
Old 12-06-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DoogieHowser
check out:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=281407

half the cost and a picture that is better. might be worth doing a little research to see if it is for you.
this is just for downstairs not my game room/ theater. This is for everyday use.

Your link above IMO is for my game room.

Lampei I only have hookups for zenith and LG
Old 12-06-04, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lampei I only have hookups for zenith and LG
Argh! I didn't like the LG picture quite as much as the Sammy
Old 12-06-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DoogieHowser
FP's cost less than RPTV's, about half the price. And FP's have a superior image to anything a RPTV can produce, and you get a wide viewing angle. It is like day and night. You should have tried one out in your house for a week. CC has no restocking fee with FP's.
The problem is that some of us don't have the luxury of space that a projector requires. My dad has a Marantz VP-12S3 in his cabin. I know how well they can look, but it's not something that everyone has the setup for.

Also, weren't you just talking about RP sets not too long ago? Quite the change in opinion in a week's time, no? http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397596
Old 12-07-04, 12:27 AM

The problem is that some of us don't have the luxury of space that a projector requires. My dad has a Marantz VP-12S3 in his cabin. I know how well they can look, but it's not something that everyone has the setup for.

Also, weren't you just talking about RP sets not too long ago? Quite the change in opinion in a week's time, no? http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397596
Yep, I nearly picked up a RPTV. Best Buy was having a sale, $400 off the two toshiba's I was asking about. Luckily, they did not have any in stock. I say luckily because FP's were not on my radar. What got me thinking was another post here (the post pics of your theater... the guy in the UK with the epson FP). I looked at the pics he posted, and I started thinking, could they be an option?

I was hesitant to buy a FP, I did not expect a very good picture at a lower cost than a RPTV. So I found a store that did not have a restocking fee, and I brought it home to test it out. I am still not over the WOW factor. The picture is awesome.

As for space, FP's take up LESS space than RPTV's. You don't have to have a 120" screen. You could very well have the FP 7 feet away and I think you would still have a larger picture than the largest RPTV's available. Plus, FP's are not big and bulky like a RPTV. A RPTV takes up a good portion of a living room or family room. A FP takes up next to no space, and you can mount in on the ceiling if wanted. I project mine onto a wall, I don't even have a screen.

I think if people are considering a RPTV they should also take a look at FP's. The advantages of the FP are so great I am amazed it is not more popular. If only more people knew about them, and got to see them, I think they would become more popular than RPTV's.
Old 12-07-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Lampei where do you live to see if i can get the tv to you.

I have no problems in the southwest or even Nor cal any where else could be a problem.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.