Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Playstation 2 & Flat Screen TV questions

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I am looking into possibly purchasing a Playstation 2 (one of the new thin ones) and wondered how they do with playing DVDs? Could I use it for my "main" player? And do you have to buy a remote to play the DVDs or does one come with it. Do they play DVD-r,DVD+r or CD-r?

Also does a Flat Screen TV give you better picture quality (for DVDs) than a regular curved TV set? I ain't ready for a Widescreen HDTV yet.
Old 10-30-04, 12:56 AM

I use my playstation as my primary dvd player in my office, and I've had no problems. I use the joypad that came with the player to control the DVDs. you don't need to buy the remote if you don't want to, but it would probably make it a little easier. also, my playstation plays either DVD-R or DVD+R and CD-R.

It works great on my sony flat screen tv..
Old 10-30-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ive used a PS2 as my main player for what must be 4 years now without much problems.

There are some movies which dont seem to work so search online for them. I know IGN.com used to have a list but I cant find it.

The remote control also comes with updated firmware but since youve got the new ps2 you probably already have the latest firmware anyway.

Id buy a remote since they are easier to use than the joypad and I think the newer ones have a power button on them (i have the older one which doesnt)
Old 10-30-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
if your going to get a ps2, ide sugest getting a used one. with the ps3 comming out in a year or two it would be all most pointless it invest full price of a ps2 when you can get a used one for half price. or at least wait untill christmas when a price drop comes again.

when ps2 1st came out. it was my primary dvd player for about 2.5-3 years and it played everthing. dirty, scratched it didnt matter
Old 10-30-04, 02:20 PM

If you are looking for a quality main player, PS2 is not the answer. It is OK as a DVD player, but a hundred bucks will get you a nice pro-scan player.

Just my .02
Old 10-30-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally posted by Qui Gon Jim
If you are looking for a quality main player, PS2 is not the answer. It is OK as a DVD player, but a hundred bucks will get you a nice pro-scan player.

Just my .02
Agreed. But, if he's wanting both game playback and dvd functionality, it'll do.
Old 10-30-04, 07:27 PM

I still have good regular DVD player (a Sony Psych) and mainly wanted to know if a PS2 would work just as well as a regular DVD player (I don't watch alot of DVDs, usually 1-2 a week if I am inclined)
Old 11-02-04, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Work 'just as well' is kind of a loaded question. It will play DVD's of course, but in my experience it doesn't play them nearly as good as a decent DVD player. If your just going to watch a movie every now and then, then it will probably work for you though.