Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Extended Warranty/ PA agreements worth it?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-04, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well a recent sale at my place of employment has got me wanting a big screen tv. I was eyeing the Toshiba 46" Widescreen #46H84, Our price, 1399.99, after price match with bestbuy, 1289.99, after coupon and discount and tax its $1009.15, now I have the option of a 3 year no questions asked parts and labor plan thats a whopping $289.99 bucks. This raised a question in my head on what you guys thought of the extended warranty since in my case it makes up about 25% of the original cost.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-25-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you plan on upgrading in the next few years, it might not be worth it.

I got a 5yr warranty for about $300 for my Samsung 46" DLP and definitely feel it's worth it. A bulb replacement is worth at least half of that.
Old 10-25-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Same here. I just purchased the Samsung 61" DLP and the five year warranty was $500.00. It's definately a lot of gravy if nothing ever happens but, I'm sure I'll need a bulb in a couple of years and this will not only cover the cost of the bulb and the service, but any other problems that should arise as well.
Old 10-26-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I firmly believe that it is a function of the value of the piece of equipment and the possibility that something expensive could go wrong.

I purchased an extended warranty for my Sharp 10K projector that also covers bulb replacement. No question that this is a must have. Did I get a warranty for my other equipment? No, those items continue to go up in quality and down in price.
Old 10-26-04, 04:36 PM

Short answer is no. Use that money to hire an ISF calibrator instead.
Old 10-30-04, 04:03 AM

Read the fine print carefully - some I have seen do not cover bulbs, etc.
Old 11-01-04, 07:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If it covers bulbs then it may be worth it. You should be able to find out the bulb life, in hours, from the set specs. Then it's just a math problem: calculate how many hours a day the set will be on and from there, how long until you need a new bulb.
Old 11-01-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't speak for any other CO. but Circuit City's Extended Warranty program covers bulbs as well as any other probs with the set.
Old 11-01-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe these warranties take effect from the time of purchase and overlap the mfr's warranty. (Granted, original warranty wouldn't cover a bulb in a projector, but crt guns are usually covered.) So the 3-year warranty might give you only 1-2 years of actual extra coverage.
Old 11-02-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by drmoze
I believe these warranties take effect from the time of purchase and overlap the mfr's warranty. (Granted, original warranty wouldn't cover a bulb in a projector, but crt guns are usually covered.) So the 3-year warranty might give you only 1-2 years of actual extra coverage.
It depends on the exact wording of the coverage which I was very sure to verify.

My contract extends my warranty and covers everything including bulbs. Well worth the approx 5% of my projectors cost.
Old 11-10-04, 12:03 PM
Suspended

I bought a 55" Mitsu widescreen and also the 5 year warranty.

The SECOND day that I had it, the screen went red for 20 seconds and shut itself off.

I would have had to wait for a service repair from Mitsu to come out.

Instead I had the 5 year warranty, and they came out and replaced it the same day.

It was within 90 days, so with some hassle, I am sure I could have gotten them to replace it. But with a no questions asked, 5 year warranty. I didnt have to worry about it.