Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone here have a portable DVD player?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of getting one for christmas (yea I know, its a bit early) but I looking at them and thought I should get one! Specifically, I was looking at this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....LC-M1609260401

Now what I like about this one is that you can play CDs, DVDs and MP3s! EVERYNIGHT I listen to my walkman and now its gone to shit so I want to replace it. Since my walkman is 0n my nightstand right next to my bed, I hooked up some old PC speakers and if Im not jamming out reading books with the music on the earphones, Im going to sleap listening to music with the speaker plugged into the CD player. So needless to say I was thinking of getting one of these so I can go sleep watching a DVD, or listening to CDs/MP3s. Plus, when I travel or something, I can take it with me and have a hell of a trip. But I had some questions that I was hoping someone here can help me out on.

How is the sound on a portable DVD player? Does it sound like a laptop, because the sound on those kinda suck.

When you play just music, do you HAVE to have the screen on as well? What does the screen show while your listening to music?

Is there a feature or something you can add to it that shows something while music plays (ala Windows Media Player's Psychadelic screen )

Fianlly, is it simply worth the investment?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me. Its very appreciated! Im sure more questions will pop up as we go though

:beerchug:
Old 09-30-04, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

Sound sucks and the amp sucks so it will only power headphones You would need an amp to drive speakers.

Nope to WMP unless its in the spec

I dig mine for car travel for the kids or on planes (but you need good headphones to overcome the plane noise.
Old 09-30-04, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by bfrank
Sound sucks and the amp sucks so it will only power headphones You would need an amp to drive speakers.
Ok this confuses me, you mean theres NO speakers on the unit and I can only hear stuff with ear phones? How about just hooking up my old PC speakers?
Old 10-01-04, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Ravenous
Ok this confuses me, you mean theres NO speakers on the unit and I can only hear stuff with ear phones? How about just hooking up my old PC speakers?
Incorrect, they DO have speakers but the speakers are not of good sound quality. I use Shure E3c earphones which improves the quality greatly.

You can hook them up to external speakers but doesn't that defeat the portability?

The cost is relative but I feel they are worth the cost if you get a good player, at a good price and use it.

I use a Toshiba SDP 2500 and love it. I understand Panasonics get good reviews. I would stay away from the cheapies cuz you'll get cheapie quality.
Old 10-02-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can't beat that Polaroid for the price, ($189) I bought it at $229 and am happy with it.
Old 10-03-04, 11:27 PM

Thanks for the help guys! I was also looking at this player: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...18&type=product

To answer your question kayak99, I will use it portabaly, but since I always listen to music at night on earphones, I willl have the DVD player right next to me to play music and DVDs. SInce itll be on while I sleep, I wont be wearing earphones.

Ive been reading some reviews on amazon and it seems like ALOT of these players are crappy and give out within a few months. Everything from the screen going out to not being able to close the dvd door.

You guys with portable players, how long have you had em?
Old 10-03-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I could not pull up the link you wrote.

I have had mine since last December and yes, some are crappy. Go with a good brand with a decent warranty.

To use one as you wish I think you will need to run yours through amped speakers of some sort. A good set of powered computer speakers would work.
Old 10-04-04, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would recommend toshiba, panasonic, or samsung. The others seem to be hit or miss on the quality. I would avoid the polaroid brand they seem to have more than their fair share of problems.
Old 10-04-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
i got a toshiba sd-p140o for my birthday its an awesome little unit...i've taken it on two tours now and it's killed lots of boredom...its true you will need headphones as a car engine usually drowns it out but i just use my sony discman headphones and it sounds fine....
Old 10-04-04, 05:10 PM

I was wondering something, are these players Anamorphic? SInce the screens are 16:9, they automatically make them adjusted to fix the screen right?
Old 10-04-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, full screens show as full screens. On mine there are small bars top and botton and wide bars left and right.

BTW, the Toshibas have DTS decoding.
Old 10-05-04, 08:27 PM

Well Kayak, maybe I should get a toshiba. I was looking at this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....3&type=product The Toshiba SDP1400

It doesnt look like it has DTS. But let me ask ya, do you listen to CDs alot on it? How does it play them and the MP3s? What does the screen show when a cd plays? Can you have the screen off or down if you just want to play a cd/mp3? Is there a random, program feature for the CDs?

Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it
Old 10-05-04, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't help you with CD's cuz I never listen to them on my portable.dvd player. Maybe someone else can chime in on this one.

The 1400 is probably a good machine but I would check prices elsewhere. Check pricescan and pricegrabber.
Old 10-06-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On my panasonic DVD-LV65 there is a screen display while playing mp3, it shows the id tag info. You can also burn the discs with subdirectories and use that to navigate around the screen. It really easy to pick the song you want. You can also turn the screen off by closing the lid and the songs just play in order. I believe there is also a random mode but I havent tried it. The player is DTS compatible. I was initially looking for a 7" screen but this one has a really nice 5" screen and I really like it so far. It serves its purpose very portable and has better battery life.

Anamorphic DVD's play properly. Non anamorphics have to be "zoomed" to fill the screen. You can also stretch 4:3 material to fill the screen. All these functions are easily cycled through by pushing the "Monitor" button.

The other cool things my panny does via the SD slot (Secure digital) I can take a card out of my digital camera and view the pictures on the screen or tv via output connections. Can also play music using the SD card but you have to use software to get the songs into AAC format. I can take the SD card out of my camcorder and view short video clips or still shots.

I bought mine via Ebay the seller is still selling them for less than $250 shipped, they are brand new and they retailed for around $600. PM me if you want the sellers name.
Old 10-06-04, 03:17 PM

I bought one from Sams Club with dual 7-inch screens for about 349+tax just before we went to Myrtle Beach couple of months ago. Was the best drive in years as my kids kept glued to their movies. Excellent picture and sound even without the headphones. Didn't use headphones as I also wanted to hear the movies. Plays MP3s as well. Can use in home theater or connect to my didigtal camera to play photos. I think it is a great deal.
Old 10-10-04, 11:02 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I own the Polaroid model you linked to in the original post. The speakers are pretty low volume, and I felt that when using headphones in environments with high background noise (like an airplane), the volume was pretty low as well... maybe some noise-cancelling headphones would help. In addition, the video screen crapped out at about 8-10 months. This is within the 1-year warranty, and Polaroid said they'd fix it for free if I mailed it in to them. I'm not saying that this is a problem with all Polaroid DVD players... I'm just giving you my experience with this model.
Old 10-15-04, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone bought the BB in-house brand Insignia? I was looking at the 10" progressive scan in store the other day and the picture quality looks amazing. It's on sale for $360, but I'm a little nervous about buying an "off-brand" (even though it is BB's new "in-house" line).

Here it is:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....8&type=product
Old 10-15-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My personal opinion is that for not too much more you can find an excellent toshiba, panasonic or samsung, all proven to be of high quality. Off brands tend to be short lived.
Old 10-15-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing you can do for improved sound is pick up a AM transmitter that will convert the audio to an AM channel that you can tune your stereo to. I got mine at BB for about $25-30.

I use it in the car for the kids. I can play their movies over the speakers in the Durango and adjust the radio to play only on the rear speakers.

You could do this at home on your home stereo or boombox.

Although not available at BB....I have an Initial 5" portable dvd player that I got for free last year at CompUSA. It has been trouble free and plays anything I throw at it. The screen is amazingly clear and crisp.

Good luck
Old 10-18-04, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Samsung has a 12" portable out now

I have the 10" version and it's awesome!
Old 10-18-04, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by matome
Samsung has a 12" portable out now

I have the 10" version and it's awesome!
I have the 10" as well so I second your awesome!
Old 10-20-04, 06:46 PM

check out onecall.com for killer prices on refurbed toshibas and other clearance portables. i've read glowing reviews on the toshiba 2500 (8.9") but not so glowing reviews of the 1400 (7"). DVDETC had a roundup review a couple issues back on about a dozen portables. i seem to recall they really liked the 7" mintek (but not the 10") and the toshiba 2500. but they did not review panasonics. personally i have the rca 600N (7") and like it. not sure they make it anymore, but haven't had any problems with it -- knock wood --- . with any device like a portable dvd player that has a lot of sensitive mechanisms, if you use it a lot (or have kids) and want to keep it around for a while, seriously consider an extended warranty. you can usually get one cheaper through J&R (regardless of where you buy) than you can from the point of purcahse. i think i paid $70 for a 4 year extension on the $379 RCA. while a little steep, with one repair it will at least pay for itself. let's me sleep a little better ;-)

btw no affiliation with either retailer mentioned. . .

dave

Last edited by hobbes4444; 10-20-04 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-24-04, 10:47 PM

Well it looks like Ill be getting this one (hopefully sometime in the next 2 weeks): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...33&type=product The Toshiba SDP1400

It has all I want and need at an affordable, hopefully "quality" price.

Couple of questions real quick, does it come with a recharger, or do I have to buy one? Or does this work that everytime I have the battery in the unit and its plugged in, it recharges automatically?

I checked online prices, but theyre all around the same price range when shipping is counted. But do online stores offer extended warranties? I want to get this at Best Buy with the 4 year ExW because it will REALLY help me sleep better.

Thanks for the help guys
Old 11-25-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,311 Likes on 955 Posts
Ravenous, Wal*Mart has a Polariod (similar if not the same as the one in your initial post) on sale on Black Friday for $139.84. The model number listed is PDV-0701A...

I know nothing about portable DVD players but I thought you might be interested.
Old 11-26-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Ravenous

Couple of questions real quick, does it come with a recharger, or do I have to buy one? Or does this work that everytime I have the battery in the unit and its plugged in, it recharges automatically?

I checked online prices, but theyre all around the same price range when shipping is counted. But do online stores offer extended warranties?

I have the 2500 and it recharges the battery if the battery is attached when plugged in.

Most online places offer extended warranty but you need to research those. They can be worthless or not cover everything. If you want an extended, the best are the manufacturers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.