DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Wireless AV Switcher

Old 07-16-04, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wireless AV Switcher

Are there any good ones?

Searches on the forums on the websites haven't really resulted in much for me.

I thought it would be cool to isolate all your stuff into one area without it having to be near the receiver and the tv. That way, you could hide it all in a cabinet somewhere if you wanted too, without having wires to actually connect to the receiver. I have tons of wires connected to the TV and receiver and I always wonder if I have a huge fire hazard there.

I'd want one to plug in all my game consoles and a DVD player in, but I'd need it to support Component/Svid/Digi Coax/Optical. As far as I could tell, there are only regular wireless solutions for composite.

Maybe it could be done with Bluetooth, because it seems that bluetooth could handle the total bandwith required, but I'm not sure what the range would be on a Bluetooth AV switcher.

Is there any possibility of something like this being made? Am I the only one who think it'd be cool?
Old 07-19-04, 11:07 PM

Bump
Old 07-20-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I am not sure I understand the question, hence the reason i did not reply the first time.

Are you talking about IR repeaters for remote controls? Are you talking about something like X10 to control on/off features?

I thought it would be cool to isolate all your stuff into one area without it having to be near the receiver and the tv. That way, you could hide it all in a cabinet somewhere if you wanted too, without having wires to actually connect to the receiver. I have tons of wires connected to the TV and receiver and I always wonder if I have a huge fire hazard there.
In all of my systems I have alot of cable running and the equipment is always inside some type of cabinet. Please be more clear with your question, thanks.
Old 07-21-04, 12:58 AM

Ah sorry!

Meant something like this: http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/234823.asp

But wireless.

Normally, we have to plug everything into the receiver (or TV). If you have a lot of components (DVD player, VCR, DirecTV, video game consoles), that can be a lot of wires in one place. Even with the switcher above, you could plug everything inro the switcher, but if you wanted a lot of distance between your TV and your components, you'd still have to run at least one long video and audio cable to the receiver from the swiitcher above.

For some reason, I was thinking about a wireless solution to this, possibly with bluetooth, where you could connect everything to the switcher, and the switcher would broadcast its signals wirelessly to the receiver or tv.

The advantage of this is that you could put your components to wherever is convenient for you and the room instead of wherever it can be close to the TV.

You would normally run long wire to do something like that, but that's not always a pleasant solution.
Old 07-21-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
True, but A/V stuff is sometimes unpleasant to setup

Since you are only looking to run a cable to the TV, why is it so difficult to run one video cable? If your receiver supports video conversion, just run one component/s-video cable to the TV. The less wires between components, the better. Just my $0.02 though.
Old 07-21-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Normally, we have to plug everything into the receiver (or TV). If you have a lot of components (DVD player, VCR, DirecTV, video game consoles), that can be a lot of wires in one place
Thanks, now I understand.

I am not aware of any such component and personally there are many reasons why I like to be able to connect things directly. Yes that involves cable but I like knowing that the signal path is as clean as possible and will not likely be subject to interference.
Old 07-22-04, 02:56 AM

I was hoping that with Bluetooth technologies, we're at the technology level where the bandwith will be sufficient to make a true wireless AV switcher without potential problems due to interference.