Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DTV lover forced to switch to cable....

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-12-04, 10:16 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Caution - long rant ahead......

I've been a happy Direct TV customer for quite some time now. I just moved into a new house though and have had to switch to Comcast Digital Cable. Reasoning? Well, I wanted to get DSL, but it's not available in my new location.

So I looked into option #2 - cable. Comcast has an unfair pricing strategy that forces you to pay 15 bucks a month more for cable broadband if you are not a cable subscriber. They pretty much had me by the testis if you know what I mean. My choice was either do cable all the way, or settle for dial-up.

I gritted my teeth and ordered the digital cable/broadband package from Comcast. They installed it last week. The broadband itself works like a charm, as expected. It's the cable that I'm not as happy with.

First off, the receiver that they give you has aweful hookup options. There is an empty hole in the back that's labeld S-Video. When you look at the manual, it's shown as a "future option". So now Im stuck with either hooking it into my TV with coax (yuck) or via composite. Come on Comcast, get with the frikin' times here!

Next, the term "digital" is deceiving. Many of the channels are still analog including local. So I still had annoying bars floating diaginally across my screen on CNN.

Also, I love their use of advertising on every menu. There is no way around it. Everytime you switch a channel there is an ad on the summary bar. Gee, wonder if those ad dollars are being used to lower our rates?

Finally, their channel placement is pitiful. With DTV, like channels are clustered together pretty well. You have your ESPNs all together, your music channels all together (MTVs, VH1, etc.), your science-type channels together (Discovery, History, etc.). With Comcast? Throw common sense out the door. There is no reasoning at all. It's almost like they took a dart board to decide where they fall.

End rant.....
Old 07-12-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah, cable sucks I have the same problem. I needed dsl, and now Im dealing with bad HDTV through cable...
Old 07-12-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry to hear that

I have had Direct TV for 7 years and just got dsl last month. DTV is far more important that DSL at least to me.
Old 07-12-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm facing the same dilemma. I've had DirecTV since 99, but the place I'm moving to gets absolutely no Local HD service (wrong side of the hills).

Comcast is the only outfit that offers HD locals, so I'm quickly running out of options.
Old 07-13-04, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
I hate it too. Change your cable service. Get the very cheapest basic analog cable option, which should be less than $20 per month along with your broadband from Comcast. Then get your precious DTV back. Route your cable signal into your DTV box and set it up to seamlessly integrate your local channels into the lineup. Done.
Old 07-14-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts
I had digital cable for 10 years and regular cable longer then that. When I moved I had every intention of staying with cable. I had FIVE (5) appointments and never got TV hooked up (3 appointments they never showed up, 1 appointment the guy simply made up stuff so he wouldn't have to do the job, and 1 appointment when they set up HSI they would not hook my TV up as it was "not on the work order")

So when I scheduled the 6th appoint (the best they could do was 7 days later), I said fine, but if I can get Dish Network or Direct out sooner, I'm giving them a try. They came out in less then 3 days and I have been amazed ever since. 1st I have never, ever had a picture a sharp as Dish Networks. 2nd I got a DVR (which cable did not offer in my area), and it has in fact changed the way I watch TV. And 3rd their equipment is top rate w/dual turners, optical out for audio, etc, etc. All for about the same as I was going to pay with cable.

I signed up for cables $19.95 for 3 months. Since I don't have cable TV I'm sure they are going to charge me $55.00 per month ($42.95 with cable TV). If they are not willing to continue the $19.95 for more then 3 months I will cancel it and switch to DSL. Not only is it only $26.95, but will get an extra $3.00 or $4.00 off since it is SBC and that is where I got the Dish Network and have my land line phone service. I have also already drafted a letter to the state Attorney General to complain about there deceptive trade (I was also offered the give up the dish rate since the old owner of the house left his dish), but they never honored it. Plus they will attempt to charge me more for one product since I don't have another even tho I tried to get the other product.

And so far all the negative stuff about dish has not happened for me. Since I got a dual turner I did not have to have a box on every tv, I have been thru 2 storms and never lost the signal, and while I technically pay for local channels my overall cost is LESS then it would have been with cable.

OK...done with my rant...thanks for playing and feel free to pick up your prizes on the way out....