Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Samsung DLP pic quality (about to take the plunge)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-04, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to take the plunge and purchase a 61" Samsung DLP RPTV Model HLN617W. This is at the upper end of my budget for a TV, but I currently have a 7 year-old Toshiba CF36G40 (36" 4:3 CRT), so it's time for an upgrade.

I've heard good reviews both regarding the "HD2" technology and this particular model. I'm aware of potentially seeing "rainbows" so I'll inspect one before purchasing and will purchase it at a place that has money-back guarantee.

Here's my issue: I currently do not have access to HDTV. I own a Dish Network DVR 721 on which I recieve standard def. programming. I know Dish Network offers HDTV receivers, but I'm attached to the DVR. I'm not yet ready to upgrade to their 9xx series DVR which offers HD recording capability. Therefore all of my viewing will consist of SD programming via Dish Network (except of course 420p DVD).

Many of the reviews state that "poor signals" viewed with this Samsung look "exceptionally poor". I don't know if the "poor signals" to which the reviewers are referring envelope all SDTV, or just over-the-air weak signals. I guess what I'm tring to ask is, "Will this upgrade look like a downgrade if I only use it for SDTV & occasional progressive scan DVD?"

Thanks for advising a noobie.
Old 07-10-04, 06:38 PM

I switch from Dish to Directv when I upgraded TVs. I went from a solid Toshiba to a Sony crt 34 xbr with a Sony hd sat200 about a year and a half ago. I know this is not apples vs apples, more like apples and oranges but your right to assume some "poor signals". I speak from plain observations with my Sony setup. Some of my standard directv channels look great, some do not. I am not sure why. I have read that this is the case with all hdtvs and standard signals. All my hd channels (both directv and off air) look absolutely amazing as do my dvds with a progressive DVD player.

Sorry I don't too much about Samsung. I have been researching them and in a year or two would like to purchase a 50 inch or 61 inch and move the Sony to the bedroom. I will only do this when more hd channels are available and there is an affordable hd sat with a dvr. You may want to consider the same. I just cant see spending the money and not getting high def channels. I would be very surprised if you were not disappointed with standard channels on a high dollar hdtv.

Also, high def channels are broadcast in 16x9 ratio. All my standard channels are automatically broadcast in 4x3 with black bars on the side. This is the way I have set it up. Standard channels look bad when "stretch" into 16x9 ratio. Everything looks unnatural and "zooming in" cuts the tops and bottoms off channels.

Finally, you mentioned that the 61 inch samsung was at the top of you budget. Please keep in mind that you may need a new tv stand and many cables. This can add several hundred dollars to your cost. Also a nice stereo with 5.1 sound and good speaker system can add a lot to your enjoyment of both movies and TV but could add at least another grand if not more.

My advice: Go far it but just plan ahead and be aware of what you are getting into with your purchase. Nothing worse then shelling out the dough and feeling like you got screwed because you did not fully understand how it would work and look. I wish I had waited but what the heck, you live and learn and you only live once. Hope I helped. Good luck
Old 07-10-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I just bought a 50 inch HLP model. I don't have it hooked to tv yet but will thursday. I will let you know how standard tv looks.
Old 07-10-04, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by aspikes
Finally, you mentioned that the 61 inch samsung was at the top of you budget. Please keep in mind that you may need a new tv stand and many cables. This can add several hundred dollars to your cost. Also a nice stereo with 5.1 sound and good speaker system can add a lot to your enjoyment of both movies and TV but could add at least another grand if not more.
Thanks for the advise. The reason I said "upper limit of my budget for a TV, is because I meant just that. I already have a nice 7.1 HT setup. The table for the TV will be custom built (the matching stand makes it look too monolithic for my taste).

Standard channels look bad when "stretch" into 16x9 ratio.
I agree. I would never "stretch" a 4:3 image, just as I would never crop a 16:9.

Some of my standard directv channels look great, some do not. I am not sure why. I have read that this is the case with all hdtvs and standard signals. All my hd channels (both directv and off air) look absolutely amazing as do my dvds with a progressive DVD player.
I've been wondering if SD looks bad to those reviewers simply because they see the potential when something is viewed in HD. I still wonder if SD would not still look better on the new Samsung than on my 7 year old CRT. Or does the Samsung uncover flaws previously unseen on the CRT. I don't know if anyone can really answer that...
Old 07-13-04, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have their first gen 50" DLP, the HLM5065W for about a year and a half now and I love it! Don't watch much TV on it (don't even have cable!), but OTA broadcasts look fine to me.
Old 07-13-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I purchased a 56" DLP in May. The one "problem" I have with it is that the thing is so damn bright. When a dark, black scene is on the screen, the brightness of it makes the black look like dark greys. I really noticed this in Friday the 13th parts 1 and 2. You won't see really deep blacks with one of these sets. Also I've found if a guy is wearing black and standig on a dark background he tends to completely blend in with the background. There seems be no point of stopping or starting for him. I'm not sure if this is the limitations of the DVD player or the TV though. I suspect the latter. Other than that I'm quite pleased with it.