Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a reasonable RF remote.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts

Now that I got TV signal again, I want to load all components in a cabinet with solid doors.

Any reasonable cost RF remotes you guys recommend?

This seems about the most reasonable, but don't know much about it;

http://www.tvauthority.com/Remote-Co...ter-MX-600.asp

Or should I get a converter to change any IR remote to RF. Something like this,

http://www.onecall.com/PID_13775.htm

Need to control

Dish receiver w/DVR
Surround receiver
DVD player
VHS
Old 07-07-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
Go with the MX-600. Since you're putting everything into a closed cabinet, you will need the wired flashers stuck to the IR pickups on each device. Where is the cabinet going to be situated in relation to the video monitor? If within 10' (or even more if you hack up an extension cable) then I would recommend putting a flasher on it as well, to take advantage of the RF capability. If across the room, then I would place the base station on top so it's IR repeater is aimed toward the monitor, again to take advantage of the RF capability.
Old 07-07-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The MX-600 is the big RF bro' to the great MX-500. I say go with it. But you can read lots of reviews and get much more info on it (and other remotes) at remotecentral.com.
Old 07-07-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by AGuyNamedMike
Go with the MX-600. Since you're putting everything into a closed cabinet, you will need the wired flashers stuck to the IR pickups on each device. Where is the cabinet going to be situated in relation to the video monitor? If within 10' (or even more if you hack up an extension cable) then I would recommend putting a flasher on it as well, to take advantage of the RF capability. If across the room, then I would place the base station on top so it's IR repeater is aimed toward the monitor, again to take advantage of the RF capability.
Yes the TV (monitor) will be sitting on the cabinet with all the components in it. Basically wife and I had to come to an "agreement". So we got a replica antique buffet. I have drilled holes in the back for audio cords and venting. Obviously for watching DVD will have to open a door, but for every day watching dish, would be nice not to have to open anything.

The seperate wire adapters to each component seem kind of gimicky. Do they work?
Old 07-07-04, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be careful with inadequate venting. With a front door you'll need more than just a few holes in back to ventilate. Esp. if there's a receiver and/or dish/cable box in there. I strongly suggest putting in several holes PLUS a small fan (like a computer fan).
Old 07-07-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by drmoze
Be careful with inadequate venting. With a front door you'll need more than just a few holes in back to ventilate. Esp. if there's a receiver and/or dish/cable box in there. I strongly suggest putting in several holes PLUS a small fan (like a computer fan).
Thanks for the suggestion. Basically two levels. So I put a hole in each end of both for a total of 4 holes. I used a drill attachment normally used for cutting door knob holes in doors.

I had not thought of a fan. Will see what I can find.
Old 07-08-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sdallnct
The seperate wire adapters to each component seem kind of gimicky. Do they work?
They work great, and are the only reliable way to get the IR signal to the separate devices with them shut up in a cabinet on two different shelves. I would take each device one at a time, mount the IR flasher over the IR pickup, run the wire under the device and securing in in a couple of places with masking tape (easy to peel off and leaves little to no residue). Then, after stacking everything up in the cabinet, routing them together in a bundle to the RF base station. For the monitor you will probably have to come around the side, so you might consider taping the flasher wire neatly down to the monitor case with a continuous wide strip of appropriately colored vinyl tape. Even though this cabinet is an antique, I would consider cutting a larger part of the back out (after all, you're cutting holes in it anyway) to make cable management easier and to improve cooling.
Old 07-08-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They work great, and are the only reliable way to get the IR signal to the separate devices with them shut up in a cabinet on two different shelves. I would take each device one at a time, mount the IR flasher over the IR pickup, run the wire under the device and securing in in a couple of places with masking tape (easy to peel off and leaves little to no residue). Then, after stacking everything up in the cabinet, routing them together in a bundle to the RF base station. For the monitor you will probably have to come around the side, so you might consider taping the flasher wire neatly down to the monitor case with a continuous wide strip of appropriately colored vinyl tape. Even though this cabinet is an antique, I would consider cutting a larger part of the back out (after all, you're cutting holes in it anyway) to make cable management easier and to improve cooling.
Thanks for the ideas. The cabinet is a replica which is why I agreed with my wife on it. This way I wouldn't feel bad about cutting it. I even thought about cutting very small holes in the top for the main front speakers and wires for the TV. However, while that would look good (no wires going over the rear), if I changed equipment, the holes may be in the wrong spot.

Think what I'll do and go back and cut long 3"-4" slots at each level. This will allow easier cord management and better cooling.
Old 07-20-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

After putting together my living room system on a budget ($150 for receiver, $200 for speakers, $100 for sub), I just couldn't bring myself to spend $150 for the MX-600 remote. I'm sure it is great and has great reviews but...

I ended up getting this;

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/...7&loc=111&sp=1

It works great will all my components. Even my H/K receiver that had seperate on/off buttons on the remote. Works all the DVR functions of my Dishnetwork dual receiver/DVR and no problems with my older Sony DVD player (still need to upgrade here).

Today I hooked up the RF portion. Putting the RF receiver on the same shelf has the Dish receiver and DVD player worked great. Did not need the little cord. However I will need the cord to make my receiver work on a different shelf.

This unit only has 1 cord thing.

Now that everything is up and running correctly, I can move things around and see what works best.

For $40. this is a great remote. Is a little big, but works really well. At least for my needs.
Old 07-21-04, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Sdallnct
After putting together my living room system on a budget ($150 for receiver, $200 for speakers, $100 for sub), I just couldn't bring myself to spend $150 for the MX-600 remote. I'm sure it is great and has great reviews but...

I ended up getting this;

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/...7&loc=111&sp=1

It works great will all my components. Even my H/K receiver that had seperate on/off buttons on the remote. Works all the DVR functions of my Dishnetwork dual receiver/DVR and no problems with my older Sony DVD player (still need to upgrade here).

Today I hooked up the RF portion. Putting the RF receiver on the same shelf has the Dish receiver and DVD player worked great. Did not need the little cord. However I will need the cord to make my receiver work on a different shelf.

This unit only has 1 cord thing.

Now that everything is up and running correctly, I can move things around and see what works best.

For $40. this is a great remote. Is a little big, but works really well. At least for my needs.
hmnn...now that remote looks interesting for the price - please excuse me if this is a daft question - is it necessary (due to the rf "box" for this remote) that the remote replaces rf remotes or will it work fine with non-rf devices?

many thanks
Old 07-21-04, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The RF box is merely an IR repeater that receives its instructions from the remote via Radio Frequency. AFAIK this unit doesn't broadcast RF control signals to devices, and only controls IR.

on your savings, Sdallnct. I have a very similar unit (Radio Shack only model, but made by OFA just like yours) with an RF base. I had an OFA a few years ago that finally died after 6 years of hard use with an RF base that is identical to and works with my current remote as well. TWO bases! Yay for me. The reason I pushed the MX on you was because of the cabinet door issue. With the RF repeater and its one wired flasher inside the cabinet, you will have to point your remote in the general direction of the TV in order to control it. My remote can be sitting under a blanket with me and still do everything. Still, very small thing to deal with for such a tidy savings. If you want a challenge with a huge payoff, look into JP1 for total remote customization.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/
Old 07-21-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by hoskins
hmnn...now that remote looks interesting for the price - please excuse me if this is a daft question - is it necessary (due to the rf "box" for this remote) that the remote replaces rf remotes or will it work fine with non-rf devices?

many thanks
In fact you don't even HAVE to use the seperate box if you don't want/need the RF. If I understand this remote correctly, it sends out BOTH IR and RF signals. I used the remote for about a week without the RF box while I set up programing, had it learn some functions ect. However, as mentioned above, I want to keep my solie wood cabinet doors closed. This means going with RF.
Old 07-21-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

on your savings, Sdallnct. I have a very similar unit (Radio Shack only model, but made by OFA just like yours) with an RF base. I had an OFA a few years ago that finally died after 6 years of hard use with an RF base that is identical to and works with my current remote as well. TWO bases! Yay for me. The reason I pushed the MX on you was because of the cabinet door issue. With the RF repeater and its one wired flasher inside the cabinet, you will have to point your remote in the general direction of the TV in order to control it. My remote can be sitting under a blanket with me and still do everything. Still, very small thing to deal with for such a tidy savings. If you want a challenge with a huge payoff, look into JP1 for total remote customization.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/
Well I still WANT a MX-600, but I figured this would be a good 1st step to see what I really need and want in a nice remote.

After doing some soul searching, I realized that most likely I will only keep the cabinet door closed when watching TV (dish). I will have to open a door to put in a DVD, so then I'll just leave the door open for movie watching if necessary (the door is not in the way and can actually swing 180 degrees to still be flat when fully opened - won't stick out in the room).

Now that I got everything up and running, I'll play around with the location of the components within the cabinet. Might be able to get all three to work without the cord thing. I got 2 of the 3 to work without the cord!

Oh, and yea, when I researched this remote I saw the PC cord and plan on getting it.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 07-21-04 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-21-04, 02:21 PM

sdallnct,
thanks much for the info (by the way, very much agree with the last bit of your sig there ). Perhaps a stupid question - I'm curious if there are any remotes out there that have an rf base, e.g., rf from the remote to the base, and the base can then broadcast ir to the non-rf devices?
thanks much.
Old 07-21-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by hoskins
sdallnct,
thanks much for the info (by the way, very much agree with the last bit of your sig there ). Perhaps a stupid question - I'm curious if there are any remotes out there that have an rf base, e.g., rf from the remote to the base, and the base can then broadcast ir to the non-rf devices?
thanks much.
That is exactly what these remotes do. The remote has both an IR emmitter (so you can just point it) and an RF transmitter that is designed only to send instructions to the base station. The base station has an antenna and RF receiver to catch these instructions which it then translates to IR and transmits them out its own IR emmiter and/or wired flashers. FWIR, these remotes are not able to control older devices whose remotes communicate with them via RF, such as an old UHF satellite dish receiver.
Old 07-22-04, 07:15 AM

mike,
thanks much. I was under the impression that that was the point of the rf base station but just wasn't sure. Thanks very much for the explanation.