Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need recommendations - player supporting letterbox for pj use

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-04, 08:20 PM
Del

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey folks!

I have an H30 projector that i absolutely love, but my dvd player (low cost JVC model), has been ruining the experience due to the judder/jerky camera pan sequences. I need suggestions for a replacement that meet the following criteria:

1) No judder. I'm trying to get away from the jerkiness of camera panning a skyline or crowd.

2) DVD Player needs Letterbox support so I can watch non-anamorphic titles properly using my projector. (My H30 is running older firmware which doesn't have letterbox support built-in.)

3) Preference to a single-disc dvd player.

Thanks for ANY help you can provide!

My wife slapping the back of my head after seeing the judder effect yet again during a viewing of Scorpion King the other night has made this purchase necessary.
Old 07-04-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Need recommendations - player supporting letterbox for pj use

Originally posted by Del
Hey folks!

I have an H30 projector that i absolutely love, but my dvd player (low cost JVC model), has been ruining the experience due to the judder/jerky camera pan sequences. I need suggestions for a replacement that meet the following criteria:

1) No judder. I'm trying to get away from the jerkiness of camera panning a skyline or crowd.
One of the best ways to get away from this is to get a player with the Faroudja deinterlacing chip. I would recommend reading this article to get more background info on deinterlacing and progressive scan:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

and then check out the results of the DVD Shootout:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi
Old 07-05-04, 10:13 AM
Del

I was told the Faroudja chipped players, for the most part, don't support my letterbox needs on non-anamorphic titles, so I'm pretty much confined to the JVC or Panasonic brands unfortunately. My existing JVC has judder issues so I think trying a pany out might be my best option.

Do appreciate the links though nekobus!