Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Upgrading gear?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-04, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading gear?!

At the request of my wife I've recently started the project of upgrading my speakers not so much because what I had lacked good sound but because they were rather old (they just don't make 'em with 15" subwoofers anymore!) and getting a little beat up looking. So I just got a good deal on Infinity Beta 50 floor standing speakers, and I'm getting the Infinity Beta C360 center channel speaker. I already have a powered subwoofer by Yamaha, and back speakers by Acoustic Research. Neither are great but serviceable for the time being.

My real question is this: The new speakers can handle a ton of power (max 250 for the floors & 200 for the center), and my current receiver is a 500-watt receiver. Am I doing them injustice by not upgrading my receiver as well? Will the lack of added power via an amplifier or higher powered receiver hurt the sound quality?? I've always had an appreciation for home audio, but I guess I never really did my homework on the technical aspects! :-D

Any suggestions from the home theater gurus???
Old 06-17-04, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a new subwoofer from SVS or HSU. You will never regret it. It is time to start "feeling" the movies.
Old 06-17-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Am I doing them injustice by not upgrading my receiver as well? Will the lack of added power via an amplifier or higher powered receiver hurt the sound quality?? I've always had an appreciation for home audio, but I guess I never really did my homework on the technical aspects! :-D
We would need to know what kind of receiver it is to make that recommendation.

As for subs I own an SVS and I am very happy with it.