Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Subwoofer to go with Fluance SX-HTB?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone had any experience with the Fluance DB-200 12" 200 Watt sub?

http://www.fluance.com/fldb12in200w.html

I can't seem to find any reviews for it anywhere. Also, what other subs can you recommend for around the $200-250 range? I read over at the HTF forums that a lot of people seem to like the Dayton 10". What do you guys think? I need a sub to go along with the Fluance SX-HTB and an Onkyo TX-SR501.
Old 06-06-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
For your price range, it stops right at HSU. Incredible subs for the money. You can also pick up a Velodyne for a bit less.
Old 06-07-04, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man, the Hsu STF-2 looks sooooo suh-weet. It's out of my price range, though. I think their cheapest sub is still out of my price range. But damnit, I read a lot about Hsu over at HTF and it's making me want to go over budget.. Ah! What to do...
Old 06-07-04, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy! I definitely will be getting these! Also, for $250.00...hell of a deal!

Old 06-07-04, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Bill Geiger
Holy! I definitely will be getting these! Also, for $250.00...hell of a deal!
Have you heard them?

FYI, these speakers are nearly universally panned as a "you get what you pay for, if that" brand.

This isn't to say that you can't find glowing reviews out there, it's just that I somehow tend to trust the bad reviews on these, which are also easy to find.
Old 06-07-04, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't see any bad reviews, again not to say they aren't there. But I did see good ones. $250.00 is exactly in the range of you get what you pay for....but on a budget, these will do just fine. If I had a better setup, I would look elsewhere. But since I don't...

However, I am just putting these on the list of potential speakers.
Old 06-07-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by stevevt
Have you heard them?

FYI, these speakers are nearly universally panned as a "you get what you pay for, if that" brand.

This isn't to say that you can't find glowing reviews out there, it's just that I somehow tend to trust the bad reviews on these, which are also easy to find.
I'd like you to point out these so-called bad reviews. Audioreview has 280 reviews, and the speakers have 4.75/5 rating. I've NEVER read a bad review of these speakers.

Last edited by DVD Josh; 06-07-04 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-07-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only "negative" things I've heard about this set is that the center channel may be a little weak, and a lot of people upgrade it with the AV-SC. Also, the center and surrounds aren't exactly voiced matched with the mains, but it's not a HUGE problem. I think people complained that the woofers on the center weren't the same size as the mains, but wouldn't adding a subwoofer and setting the center and mains to small solve that problem for the most part?

This is probably far from an audiophile set up, but many people out there claim it's THE best bang for the buck for people on a budget.

Anyway, I emailed Fluance about their DB-200 12" sub and all they replied was, "It goes below 30 Hz, call us for more information." So, I'm not sure what to do. That HSU STF-2 looks tempting, but it would put me over budget by about $100 or so. I can't find it for much less than $399 directly from their website, and my whole budget is going to come from my summer job. It might be worth it, though...
Old 06-07-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I havent read any reviews of the Fluance sub. Not saying its good or bad but I would go with something with a more proven performance.

For about $135 shipped you could pick up the Dayton 10" sub, I have one and its very good. I also have an Acoustech 12" sub which was supposedly designed by Dr. Hsu I would say the Dayton is equal or better in performance. Its pretty amazing for the money. Of course the more expensive HSU and SVS subs get really good reviews also. Maybe pick up the Dayton and try it out and save for a more expensive sub later?
Old 06-07-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lethal, the sub goes for $349 at CompUSA.

Honestly, think of it like this - what good is $100 worth of DVDs (or anything else) when you aren't happy with the system you play them on?

Go with the HSU. You'll be happier in the long run. Frankly, I think the Fluance sub is very overpriced (should be around $150).

One man's opinion
Old 06-07-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry for dropping a bomb in this thread and then running off (to work).

Also sorry for not being more specific, and not really being able to be more specific.

I have never personally heard any Fluance speakers.

I have read many opinions on this brand, though likely not on these models, that have given me a big ol' "not worth it" vibe with regards to everything they sell. I'm surprised to see that Audioreview has 280 reviews, with 4.75/5. Clearly, this is a good sign. My key to interpreting Audioreview is to immediately and completely ignore any review less than 50 words (both positive and negative) and go from there. Of course, this would still tend to leave a lot of reviews.

On second count, I'm only seeing 14 reviews for the SX-HTB. I guess DVD Josh is looking at reviews of the brand in general.

As far as finding negative opinions, I'm sure I've seen them in a few places, most certainly Home Theater Forum (link).
Old 06-07-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DVD Josh
Lethal, the sub goes for $349 at CompUSA.

Honestly, think of it like this - what good is $100 worth of DVDs (or anything else) when you aren't happy with the system you play them on?

Go with the HSU. You'll be happier in the long run. Frankly, I think the Fluance sub is very overpriced (should be around $150).

One man's opinion
Hm... ever since DVD Josh mentioned the HSU, I did some research and I really want that sucker! I was going back and forth about whether going over budget was justified (college student here), but damnit, you just had to push me over the edge, didn't you?

P.S. Do you know how long the STF-2 will stay at $349 at CompUSA? Is this is only a limited time sale? I don't think I'd be able to buy it for another month or two.
Old 06-07-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Shoot Steve, I was looking at PAGE VIEWS. Egg on my face

But aside from audioreview, looking at eBay feedback, websites I trust, I've heard very little, if anything negative.

I went through the threads (quickly) and saw only ONE negative comment. That doesn't mean that aren't more out there.

HOWEVER, let's be realistic. Consider what you can get at BB/CC for $250. Fluances KILL them.
Old 06-07-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Lethal Fluffer
Hm... ever since DVD Josh mentioned the HSU, I did some research and I really want that sucker! I was going back and forth about whether going over budget was justified (college student here), but damnit, you just had to push me over the edge, didn't you?

P.S. Do you know how long the STF-2 will stay at $349 at CompUSA? Is this is only a limited time sale? I don't think I'd be able to buy it for another month or two.
Share the pain with the rest of us Lethal Glad to be of "assistance".

The HSU used to be $299, but HSU direct got pissed at that price, because it's WAY below the website. I would imagine it will be that price for awhile.

Have you considered financing at CompUSA? Do they have layaway? Might be another solution.

Go with the HSU, give it a workout, and don't look back.
Old 06-07-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
BTW I have that exact set of speakers and I love the speakers... I definately feel I got more than I paid for. As far as the Sub I have the HSU and I love it Plus I have the same reciever, are you copying me?
Old 06-07-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by shadowhawk2020
BTW I have that exact set of speakers and I love the speakers... I definately feel I got more than I paid for. As far as the Sub I have the HSU and I love it Plus I have the same reciever, are you copying me?
So, you have the Fluance SX-HTB, Onkyo TX-SR501, and the HSU STF-2? Cool. That's what I'm shooting for right now.
Old 06-09-04, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Lethal Fluffer
So, you have the Fluance SX-HTB, Onkyo TX-SR501, and the HSU STF-2? Cool. That's what I'm shooting for right now.
You won't be sorry, My friends jaws hit the floor when they hear it. Especially when I tell them the price...
Old 06-10-04, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't wait! I'm getting giddy like a school girl.
Old 03-17-05, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I finally ordered everything and should be getting it all by Monday at the latest. I decided to go for the Fluance SX-HTB, Dayton 10" sub from PE (when I get more money down the road, I'll probably upgrade to a HSU), and the Onkyo TX-SR502. I also ordered a new pro-scan Sony DVD player. I can't wait. I'm still giddy like a school girl.

Last edited by Lethal Nemesis; 03-17-05 at 02:26 AM.